Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used The Eight Promo Cards 3 times so far, and am wondering what people think about using them. These were available at Essen only, but they and their one page of rules can be downloaded here from the Images section (I'd like to see them in the Files, and more easily printable). They provide various ways to score more Victory Points at the end game for all players.

First Play: No one scored with them.

Second Play: One Player scored dramatically with all in play! But he would have won anyway. He had no been aware of their rewards.

Third Play: I won by scoring with several of them, when no one else scored with any of them.

So far the game is so tight that no one has put effort into scoring them on purpose. In the third game, another player kept saying to me "you've got the game," and I thought he was crazy. But it turned out he realized that I had fulfilled several of their conditions, while I had not noticed. This was after reviewing them several times myself as they accumulated during the game, but then losing focus on them as other things came up. Of course, I was glad he proved to be correct!

What do you think if you've tried them out? Do you continue to use them or not? Do your and your players make a conscious effort to score from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
I don't like them. I LOVE the game. Cry Havoc is my first modern board game (although I've played a number of TCGs, tactical RPGs, and deck builders over the years, and Catan twice) and it actually fits in with everything I want out of a board game: highly tactical (AND DICELESS) combat in a competitive setting. I wish I could play it more. But these cards just don't work for me. There isn't enough wiggle room in the game to make it worth a player's time to focus on them (I'm sure there are exceptions) so when I do play I leave them out. The few friends I've played with agree with me.

That said, I recall there being one or two that were more fun in their goals and I've considered throwing those back in. But as a group, they don't stand up to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that far too many of them entered play. So now, I think I'll just randomly deal 3 or 4 into the decks evenly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.