Subject: Conspire Action limitation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

one question was asked on the Rahdo's video for this game regarding the conspire action.

at one point Jen was playing the character that the special ability is having 4 actions per turn and when she conspired she used 4 dice, one per action she had.

Someone questioned if this was correct because the board says that you can use 1 to 3 dice to conspire. The rulebook says "To Conspire you roll 1-3 dice (at one action per die)"

To me the bolded part implies that if you have more than 3 actions you can roll more dice but since it also says 1-3 I wasn't sure if that was an hard cap or if no one remembered that players can have more than 3 actions, be that character or when someone plays the card that gives 1 extra action...

So, if I have 4 or more actions can I give them all up to roll that many dice or am I limited to 3 max?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I believe that the cap is 3 actions. That 4th action is handy in case you need to move away from your fellow conspirators to not put them at risk for eagle results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted it as you can spend any or all actions that you have that we're not generated by rolling the dice to roll dice. Assuming you only make 1 roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say 1-3 actions for Conspire. From the rules:

CONSPIRE – This action represents a conspirator stirring
up dissent and recruiting people to the cause. It can be
a risky action to take, but it can reap great rewards. To
Conspire you roll 1-3 dice (at one action per die).
You may
only Conspire once per turn.

It doesn't say 1 die per action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

You may

It says 1 Action per Die that is the same thing... if I have 4 actions I could spend 4 action to get 4 dice... that was how I read it the first time until that other person said something in the youtube comments... then I wasn't 100% sure... so if Game Salute or Philip could give the final word it would be great....

What I think is that since players usually only have 3 actions that's why they put 1-3 in the rules because that's the number of action you have in 99.9% of the time...

But that character has the ability to have 4 actions... there are also cards that allow you to have an extra action...

To me, when I read the conspire action it meant that I could give up as many actions as I wanted to get that number of dice to conspire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then we will need an official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

You may

This. Seems pretty clear to me:

I have three candy bars. You may buy them for $1 each. You may have $4, but you can still buy only three bars. Use the remaining $1 for something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my line of thought as well. Otherwise the character that gets the 4th action would be a bit strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Conspire you roll 1-3 dice

To me, that's pretty clear, you are only allowed to roll up to 3 dice.

(at one action per die)

The language added in parentheses is to clarify that you need to spend an action for each die that you do roll, rather than only spending one action for the Conspire process as a whole, even if you roll multiple dice.

Not official, just trying to explain what I think is the reasoning for the instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for chiming in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a character last night who's special ability specified that he could roll 4 dice when taking the conspire action. Not sure if this helps clarify the rule or muddy it some more.

If this situation would have come up last night I am guessing we would have rolled 4 dice if we had 4 actions. Alternatively you could roll 3 dice and still use your 4th action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only roll 3 max when conspiring, even if you have 4 actions. I remember us talking about that one very clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmb
pdubarry wrote:
You can only roll 3 max when conspiring, even if you have 4 actions. I remember us talking about that one very clearly.

Thanks for the clarification, I actually got this one right for a change during our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.