Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: "Solitaire multiplayer": Two or more people playing as one rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Taylor
msg tools
I know that people often refer to some games as 'multiplayer solitaire', meaning that each person is effectively playing on their own with very little interaction. However, I was curious as to whether many people do the opposite. That is, have two or people playing an actual solitaire game (I guess in a cooperative manner).

Mrs Manic8 isn't particularly competitive, so prefers playing co-op games or, better still, solitaire games where we can both pay as the single player. We then discuss our strategy and tactics 'as one'. Even for coop games like Robinson Crusoe or Mage Knight where it's possible to play more than one role, we tend to play just as one player rather than two. I think that's partly to make the game a little quicker, and partly because we sometimes want to avoid the 'your turn' and 'my turn' approach.

Does anyone else prefer this approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which effectively means you'll never play games that aren't designed for solo play? Unless you find another couple who are the same way... At which point the four of you could play a two player game of multiplayer-solitaire/solitaire-multiplayer!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's odd for me.
Hmmm, how about a game where you control multiple aspects of a character. Hard to implement in cardboard, though.
Think about a plane pilot and a gunner. Probably doable in a videogame. Village simulator with different aspects for different players? Wow, the session would be filled with arguments. Not that it's a bad thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Iori_Yagami wrote:
That's odd for me.
Hmmm, how about a game where you control multiple aspects of a character. Hard to implement in cardboard, though.
Think about a plane pilot and a gunner. Probably doable in a videogame. Village simulator with different aspects for different players? Wow, the session would be filled with arguments. Not that it's a bad thing...

Some heavier wargames work sort of like that, one player is in charge of logistics, one in charge of combat, etc. for each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Iori_Yagami wrote:
Think about a plane pilot and a gunner.
Make that "pilot, gunner, mouse clicker, and that asshole that forgot to service the reactor" and you get Space Alert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a laugh a friend and I once split the squad and played Ambush! together. The banter was as much fun as the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy working together with my wife or others how you are describing but have only done it a few times.

The best experience I had was playingSherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases with two others.

VERY fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Race for the Galaxy solo with my wife & I discussing our choices - but only once. It worked fine. We've also played RftG against the AI discussing our choices once or twice. Mostly we'll play a 2p game or a 2p co-op game (RftG is the only game we have which supports solo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.