Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have watched a few play through videos now, and have seen (and heard it stated) in those videos that the player gets the region bonus each time a vineyard is purchased that begins a NEW estate. Where is this stated in the 2016 rules? I cannot find it. All I can find is the mention at the end of the reference that the bonuses are applicable when a player chooses his "Initial Vineyard" (which seems from the language to imply only the free vineyard at setup).

Thanks in advance for help.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is written in the last page of the reference book.

But during my first play, I though it was only true for bonuses that can obvious not been doubled (free winery, no cave ...) and for other bonuses (porto tiles for exemple) we gave the bonus each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is written in the last page of the reference book.

Thanks, Alexandre. But it is what is on the last page of the reference book that is making me question this (in addition to the absence of any mention at all of the bonuses in the section pertaining to the Vineyard action). The reference book is very specific (over and over again) about "Initial Vineyard." The only other place I find that language emphasized is in setup when players get a free "initial vineyard." All of this combined makes it sound very much like the bonuses are only applicable during setup. Yet the rules and play through videos I watch are showing otherwise. Is this simply a rules oversight?

Thanks,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The emphasis on "initial" in the Rule Book is making sure you don't take two bonuses for the same vineyard type, if it's in the same Estate. If you start a new estate with a vineyard, you always get that bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good to know about, I'd missed this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "initial" vineyard is not the very first vineyard you pick to start the game. It refers to the first vineyard in an estate on your player board. So in the 2016 version of the game, you can technically have 5 "initial" vineyards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
The "initial" vineyard is not the very first vineyard you pick to start the game. It refers to the first vineyard in an estate on your player board. So in the 2016 version of the game, you can technically have 5 "initial" vineyards.

You are correct that the bonus applies to the first vineyard in an estate. Except the "Initial Vineyard" in the reference manual is referring to the Initial vineyard for setup. You don't immediately receive wine tiles when you buy a vineyard during the game only during the Initial setup at the beginning.

I have a quick and easy to remember rule of thumb. If you can put your player colour region marker onto a region then you get a bonus. If you can't you do not pick up the bonus.

3. Douro
You receive 2 Porto tiles. You can spend a Porto
tile during Production to increase a Douro (and
only Douro) Wine’s quality by 3 (Discard the Porto
tile to Douro). If you choose Douro as your ‘Initial
Vineyard’ immediately receive a Wine tile valued 2
or a Wine tile valued 5 depending on your decision
to produce Douro or Porto wine.

4. Dão
You build a free cellar in your Dão Estate. (No
additional renown cube for the free cellar). If you
choose Dão as your ‘Initial Vineyard’ immediately
receive 1 Cellar and place the Wine tile in its
leftmost slot.

5. Ribatejo
You place a free Farmer on the vineyard in your
Ribatejo Estate. If you choose Ribatejo as your
‘Initial Vineyard’ immediately receive 1 Farmer
and 1 Wine tile valued 3.

6. Lisboa
You build a free Winery in your Lisboa Estate.
(No additional renown cube for the free winery).
If you choose Lisboa as your ‘Initial Vineyard’
immediately receive 1 Winery and 1 Wine tile tile
valued 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three actions that normally can give you a renown cube (if any available). Buying a vineyard, buying a cellar and buying a winery. The text specifically states you get one renown cube only and NOT 2 renown cubes (one for the vineyard and one for the cellar/winery.)

At Initial Setup you select a Vineyard for free in the 2016 version of the game and this normally gives you a 2 value wine unless you selected one of these vineyards (Lisboa, Ribatejo, Dão and Douro) the emphasis on the Initial vineyard is to get a higher value wine at the setup beginning of the game. (Lisboa 3 value because of the winery, Ribatejo 3 value because of the farmer, Dão 2 value wine tile but +1 because of the cellar and Douro a 2 value wine OR a 5 value wine if you used a Porto tile)

When you buy a vineyard and place it onto a new estate you gain the bonus depicted on the vineyard tile for that region. This is shown in the example but not explicitly written in the rule book. Notice that there isn't a cellar on the new estate. The region marker is placed, the cellar is collected and the vineyard is placed on the new estate (cellar already placed in the example but you can see that two cellars are beside each other in the example.)

An easy reminder is with the estate region markers. If you place all 5 region player colour markers on your estates at the beginning of the game this will serve as a reminder to get the bonus or not. Can you have to mark the region? Yes? Then get the region bonus. No? (You are placing another same-coloured vineyard in the same estate) Then you do not receive the region bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.