3 Posts

Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » General

Subject: Any way to accentuate the pure Old West theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've come close to buying into this a few times and each time end up getting put off by the magic & supernatural elements. I can live with the steampunk stuff but the magic and abominations etc just don't appeal to me, whereas I love the Old West.

I guess it's much too integral to the game to remove altogether, but is there any way to downplay it, e.g. by excluding certain cards or rules etc? Any of the expansions that might help at all? It seems to be a great game in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the old west theme is pretty strong overall, especially when paying poker to settle shootouts. Pretty cool.

Unfortunately, the magic elements are pretty integral to the story... but there are ways to avoid it. Just don't play spell decks.

Have a Morgan, Law Dogs, and Salone deck you can get by with no spells. 4th Ring (circus faction) are the ones with all the abominations and magic. Later on Law Dogs get something called "blessed" which are the religious versions of spells, but maybe that's something you wish to avoid as well.

I say get a core and try it out. Not too difficult to play without the magic element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree with Alan - the magic stuff is a large element of the story, but easily excluded from the game mechanics.

Playing Sloane v Law Dogs, with Morgan Cattle Company as pure steampunk eliminates the magical element. Indeed, with a few expansions Morgan can be built as an effective Ranches & horses themed deck, eliminating the steampunk element too.

Law Dogs v Sloane v Ranchers gives you a classic Law Men v Bandits v Ranchers ranges of matches, with no magical element. Indeed, I think the core set's Law Dogs deck has no magical element to it, and Sloane has only one Huckster (card slining magician), who can be excluded or simply used as a solid shooter (as he has a decent bullet rating and boosts fellow wanted dudes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.