$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Neftali Silva
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi there,

Thanks for reading. The thing is I need some help here. I'm in the middle of a PBEM game, but we both, me and my PBEM buddy don't understand why Vassal limits the movement of my Hungarian boys. Since ZOC do not extend beyond major unbridges rivers I don't get what's limiting my movement so much. Whats going on?!

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6.0.1 Zones of control DO extend across unbridged major rivers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal anomalies.
Dans right of course Neftali, zocs absolutely extend across major rivers so Vassal is working correctly here.

However you'll need to be careful down south where Vassal allows movement, HQ command range and supply across a major river (the Mius west of Rostov) as if this were just a minor river. This is because of some errata early after the games release that downgraded the Mius to minor river status, this then being incorporated into the Vassal engine. I've never known anyone to play it this way tho and during the recent AVL tourney one of the finalists received confirmation from the games developer Adam Starkweather that the Mius is in fact a major river as depicted graphically on the board. To the best of my knowledge the major river graphic wasn't changed when the game was re released after a couple of other graphic anomalies were in fact corrected, this pretty much confirming to me I'd been playing the game correctly all along.

While on the subject, it's worth noting the Mius river line proved to be one of the Germans stoutest on the eastern front, especially in the south where the front ebbed and flowed so dramatically. The Germans were able to retain possession of the Mius line throughout operation little Saturn and beyond, only losing it in the aftermath of Kursk and the Russian general offensive that followed. So to me the original intent of the games designer was to reflect this by making the Mius a major river. As it can often be a crucial area of the board in AVL especially if the Germans are trying to hold Stalino, knowing Vassals deficiencies here is important.

Vassal's "take back" button is also fraught with peril. If you use it to undo larger moves it often forgets a unit or two leaving them incorrectly positioned and marked as unmoved when in fact they have already moved. Even worse, if you "back up" too far in re doing a move the active HQ command chit can end up back in the mug and there's no way to undo this undo. So it's use should be employed with extreme caution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.