Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
150 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: BGG Ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: smjj [+] entitlement [+] butthurt [+] ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]
Steve Pole

Winkleigh
Devon
msg tools
I went to post an update on the BGG page for a game of mine and found that it had been given a rating of 1. This might be appropriate, of course; but it came as something of a surprise as the game has yet to be published; and, even more so when I linked back to the person who gave the marking to find that during November alone he or she has given a similar rating to 10,000 or so other games/expansions.

I understand that the BGG rating system incorporates some kind of Bayesian Average and it occurred to me that this might be part of that process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
I went to post an update on the BGG page for a game of mine and found that it had been given a rating of 1. This might be appropriate, of course; but it came as something of a surprise as the game has yet to be published; and, even more so when I linked back to the person who gave the marking to find that during November alone he or she has given a similar rating to 10,000 or so other games/expansions.

I understand that the BGG rating system incorporates some kind of Bayesian Average and it occurred to me that this might be part of that process?

Nothing but trolls.

Happens all the time and the BGG rating system is supposed to be designed to take these things into consideration IIRC. But with a new game, it's going to be tougher to filter out the outlying votes I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:

No - just the guy who marked all those games as a 1 is an idiot. By the way BGG has anti-shill busting algorithms - which may detect and discount ratings from people who just (or maybe predominately) rate 10 or 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smjj perchance? I see they have done the same with my to be published game too, Steve.

Seems to be spamming of some kind if they have hit 10,000 games. Anyone know how best to report this sort of thing - I'm far from a BGG expert.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Say I have no interest in wargames and wanted to use the rating system so that in my searches for games it's immediately obvious that some game is a wargame. I could write a script that goes through the database and marks all wargames a "1".

Note that this is a completely legit use of BGG's rating system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

How do you even rate a game with the new BGG interface? I've figured out, eventually, how to do it for games I own but how would I do it for those I've played - but don't own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we could postulate all day as to why Smjj has rated 10,000 items with a 1 - so I thought I'd Message him to ask - I'll let you know what reply I get, if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andyloakes wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

How do you even rate a game with the new BGG interface? I've figured out, eventually, how to do it for games I own but how would I do it for those I've played - but don't own?

Add to collection - edit - rate by clicking the star corresponding to the number - save.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andyloakes wrote:
Well, we could postulate all day as to why Smjj has rated 10,000 items with a 1 - so I thought I'd Message him to ask - I'll let you know what reply I get, if any.

Now there's a novel idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
General
badge
The War Room
mbmbmbmbmb
50 seems to be the magic number; no more, no less.

He (or she) has his/her own rating system as follows:
10 = own or want
5 = undecided
1 = does not want

Games Owned (50) and rated 10 in NOV '16
7 Wonders Duel (2015) 10
7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon (2016) 10
Arkham Horror (2005) 10
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (2016) 10
Betrayal at House on the Hill (2004) 10
Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk (2016) 10
Blood Rage (2015) 10
Carcassonne (2000) 10
Carcassonne Big Box 5 (2014) 10
Codenames (2015) 10
Cosmic Encounter (2008) 10
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Alliance (2012) 10
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Conflict (2011) 10
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion (2010) 10
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Storm (2013) 10
Coup (2012) 10
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game (2014) 10
Dixit (2008) 10
Elder Sign (2011) 10
Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham (2015) 10
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre (2012) 10
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Rumble at Castle Tentakill (2015) 10
Five Tribes (2014) 10
Forbidden Desert (2013) 10
Forbidden Island (2010) 10
Gloom (2005) 10
King of New York (2014) 10
King of Tokyo (2011) 10
Lords of Waterdeep (2012) 10
Love Letter (2012) 10
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition (2016) 10
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition – Recurring Nightmares Figure and Tile Collection (2016) 10
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition – Suppressed Memories – Figure and Tile Collection (2016) 10
Munchkin (2001) 5
Munchkin Cthulhu (2007) 5
Mysterium (2015) 10
Power Grid (2004) 10
The Resistance 10
Small World (2009) 10
Smash Up (2012) 10
Splendor (2014) 10
Sushi Go Party! (2016) 10
Sushi Go! (2013) 10
Takenoko (2011) 10
Ticket to Ride (2004) 10
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania (2015) 10
Ticket to Ride: Europe (2005) 10
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (2007) 10
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 (2006) 10
Zombie Dice (2010) 10

--------------------------------------------
WANT-TO-BUY (50) and rated 10 in NOV '16
51st State: Master Set (2016)10
7 Wonders (2010) 10
Arcadia Quest (2014) 10
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (2016) 10
Arkham Horror: The Card Game – Curse of the Rougarou – Scenario Pack (2016) 10
Blood Rage: 5th Player Expansion (2015) 10
Blood Rage: Mystics of Midgard (2015) 10
Camel Up (2014) 10
The Castles of Burgundy (2011) 10
Caverna: The Cave Farmers (2013) 10
Citadels (2000) 10
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Eons (2016) 10
Dead of Winter: The Long Night (2016)10
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong (2014) 10
Dixit: Revelations (2016) 5
Elder Sign: Omens of Ice (2016) 10
Elder Sign: Omens of the Deep (2016) 10
Eldritch Horror (2013) 10
Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore (2014) 10
Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness (2014) 10
Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands (2017) 10
Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids (2015) 10
Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun (2014) 10
Firefly: The Game – Kalidasa (2015) 10
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet (2016) 10
Five Tribes: The Artisans of Naqala (2015) 10
Hanabi (2010) 10
Jaipur (2009) 10
King of New York: Power Up! (2016) 10
Kingdom Builder (2011) 10
Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport (2013) 10
Lost Cities (1999) 10
Mythos Tales (2016) 10
Pandemic (2008) 10
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 (2015) 10
Pandemic: In the Lab (2013) 10
Pandemic: On the Brink (2009) 10
Roll for the Galaxy (2014) 10
Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition (2015) 10
Shadows over Camelot (2005) 10
Sheriff of Nottingham (2014) 10
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (1981) 10
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures (2016) 5
Star Wars: Rebellion (2016) 10
Stone Age (2008) 10
T.I.M.E Stories (2015) 10
T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons (2016) 10
Terraforming Mars (2016) 10
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization (2015) 10
Twilight Struggle (2005) 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyloakes wrote:

I hope you also asked why he's rating games that haven't yet been published and that he couldn't possibly have yet played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
This again?

Multiple people have posted exactly the same complaint about the same person in the General forums. The answer has been stated more than once ... anyone can rate anything any rating they want, even if they have never played the game. There are no checks and balances to prevent this. Is the guy an idiot? Maybe, sure, okay. Is he a jerk? Apparently. But this complaint against Smjj is now nothing more than

because he isn't doing anything against the rules of BGG. He's "rating" games. Cross-posting in frustration won't help.

P.S. I'm sympathetic, Smjj is a silly arse for doing it, and I'm sorry the answers you are getting aren't that you want to hear, but there it is.

P.P.S. I had one guy email me about one of my designs and go off on a rant about what a POS it was. He'd never played the game, he told me, but wanted to know what a crap game it is by simply reading the rules. Been there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pole

Winkleigh
Devon
msg tools
David,

I haven't posted this question previously. This is the first time I have come across the issue and I noticed it this morning only because the rating was given to an unpublished game.

Regards,

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
David,

I haven't posted this question previously. This is the first time I have come across the issue and I noticed it this morning only because the rating was given to an unpublished game.

Regards,

Steve

I was just fixing my post the reflect that when you posted this.

My sincere apologies.

I'm as frustrated with this guy as much as anyone (hence my post), but since he's one account and apparently doing it by hand, there is nothing that can be done per Octavian's posting.

tumorous wrote:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

wrote:
Attempts to manipulate ratings through the use of multiple accounts is prohibited.

Otherwise, ANY person is absolutely allowed to give ANY game ANY rating for ANY reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

P.P.S. I had one guy email me about one of my designs and go off on a rant about what a POS it was. He'd never played the game, he told me, but wanted to know what a crap game it is by simply reading the rules. Been there.

I usually get the reverse : designers ranting against me because I rated their precious baby a "2" - apparently I can be a bit harsh and direct in my comments whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="DaveyJJ"

I'm as frustrated with this guy as much as anyone, but since he's one account and apparently doing it by hand, there is nothing that can be done per Octavian's posting.[/q]

tumorous wrote:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

wrote:
Attempts to manipulate ratings through the use of multiple accounts is prohibited.

Otherwise, ANY person is absolutely allowed to give ANY game ANY rating for ANY reason.

I've no doubt you're right. But I was wondering whether this was automated spam, possibly using Smjj's account to access BGG. If so then i'd have thought this would be something BGG would want to address. However, the consensus appears to Smjj has his own agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools

Interesting.

I was unaware of all this.

Thanks for creating this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:

Regarding ratings that appear before publication I would think it a simple matter of preventing any game being rated before it is officially released. The number of trivialities that require a moderator's approval here boggles the mind but apparently they can't come up with an "off" switch until such time as a publisher or designer says "the game's shipping today, please turn on the ratings?"

Regarding post-publication haters gonna hate. That's what they do. As a designer I would recommend to other designers that they work on a flat-fee basis, not for royalties. If you are paid up front it's of little consequence to you if the same gaggle of gargoyles drop their "1" on your work. If the game is good the word will still get around. And by paying you a flat-fee up front the publisher feels a burden to get the game out sooner rather than whenever to recoup their investment.

Now, however, I've been publishing my own games. There's little that can be done here other than I will not given any money to the site for any purpose unless the ratings system is reformed (which will not happen, of course). And based on sales it appears that ratings here have almost no impact what-so-ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
Regarding ratings that appear before publication I would think it a simple matter of preventing any game being rated before it is officially released. The number of trivialities that require a moderator's approval here boggles the mind but apparently they can't come up with an "off" switch until such time as a publisher or designer says "the game's shipping today, please turn on the ratings?"

But won't that upset all of the designers whose unreleased games are given multiple "10" ratings before being published?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he add any comments? Because if I see a rating, any number, without a comment, I don't pay any attention to it. And if there is a comment, it has to have some substance, not just "this games sucks" or "this game is great".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That ass just raided a bunch of my games too, Steve. I hope he's enjoying the cheap thrills.

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
smjj hit me yesterday too.

Let us know if you get a reply to your PM, but I don't think you will - he's too busy rating things a 1.

I've run across a couple of people, or at any rate accounts, who do this, rating masses of unconnected games a 1 for no apparent reason.

I engaged with one guy who said that if he found a 10 on anything he noticed, he would rate it a 1 himself.
He was at any rate consistent.

I engaged with another who grumpily replied that he probably made a mistake, had no idea what he meant to rate originally, and he couldn't remember what he did last week so why am I hassling him about a rating he gave nine weeks ago...

I think this is the BGG equivalent of drunk dialing.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyloakes wrote:

I did the same. No reply as yet. His/her geekmail is probably overloaded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

I usually get the reverse : designers ranting against me because I rated their precious baby a "2" - apparently I can be a bit harsh and direct in my comments :whistle:

Eddy, I have also noted that you give games only even-numbered ratings.. why is that?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>I engaged with one guy who said that if he found a 10 on anything he noticed, he would rate it a 1 himself.

Interesting. I have rated a number of games I own as "10".and I am reasonably sure that someone who doesn't know me, or who has not read my profile, will think I rate too many that high. But I get rid of games that I don't rate high, so a big percentage of my games are rated high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.