Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Dream Home is brilliant. In fact, I've rated it an 8/10 right now. The mechanics are simple enough to play with my family, and yet the decisions have just enough "meat" to play with hobby gamers. Everyone I've played it with has enjoyed the game.

My worry though, is how much longevity the game has? Because you see EVERY card every game, it's not going to be many plays before the game feels repetitive. Are there any expansions planned to combat this?

I suppose the problem with just adding more cards would be the need for a random selection chosen each game - you might shuffle out all but one purple roof, or even all the kitchens! You can see how that killed games like Suburbia after one too many expansions, and I think I speak for everyone when I say I despise having to choose specific subsets of cards for each game, a la Coup: Rebellion G54.

The only thing I can think of to counter this would be a board/house extension - either a smaller side house (granny flat, anyone?), or another floor to build on. That's a lot of components for an expansion though - it'd pretty much replicate the base game contents.

Is this "it"? Is Dream Home designed to be a game played just once in a blue moon so it still feels fresh? Is it forever going to be burdened to become that game you trade away because you played it too much? If so that's a shame, because this game brings some great stuff to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You make an interesting point, I hope others who have the game or played it a lot have some opinions.

For me, generally giving games a break always makes them feel fresh later (Pit, Uno, Rhino Hero) so if you're into keeping games for the long haul and have variety, I guess it's not too much of a burden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2017
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
The mechanics are simple enough to play with my family, and yet the decisions have just enough "meat" to play with hobby gamers.

I've only played the game once, but I respectfully disagree that there is enough "meat" in this game to play with hobby gamers. Frankly, I question whether there is enough "meat" to play with light gamers. Every choice is worth 1-3 points and it seems quite obvious what you should do every turn. It's set collection in its simplest form.

Dream Home is a cute game (the tie-breaking mechanism is great) and I could see how it may be appealing for some to play it with people who aren't generally playing games. However, I would avoid playing it with most gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Woźniak
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
Are there any expansions planned to combat this?
Yes, they're planning some. In 2017 there will be big expansion. New cards and rooms, up to 6 players, solo mode, and some "missions" - one for each player, their secret aim in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.