$30.00
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, I just posted this on the codenames page, but it just occured to me that there might be more views here, and it still feels like an apporpriate forum. Would trulmy appreciate answers to 1) how to get a large font codenames, and 2) websites for gaming for the legally impaired.
Many thanks

Hi all,
My mother recently has lost a lot of her sight. She can still see, but not very well. She has also wanted to join her children and grandchildren in game play over the hollidays. Now obviously codenames seems like a no brainer, but of course the type is outrageously small in that game, even for those with good sight.
Now I might go through with the idea of copying all of the words on large cards with a marker, but is there such a thing as versions for the legally blind (but not blind, so obvioulsy braille is out of the question)
any useful sites that you could recommend for those with sight chanllenge?
Thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to see a specific site focusing on sight aid, firstly because its not a top priority for me so I haven't looked too hard but also because I am not alone in thinking when making a game easier to use I think of a game first and then how to make it better fit that specific need. So I would try taking a look at each game you think your mother would enjoy and flip through the forums and ask.

For codenames I wasn't a fan of the type size and also having two orientations on the card to I just typed up a bunch and printed with a large font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any useful sites for those with sight challenges.

However, I do think there are games out there that rely more on talking than on reading, or at least someone else can read aloud (and it's not important for everyone to be able to read small print).

For instance- a lot of mystery-based games would fit this description, such as Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases. The text is actually horrible to read in this game (bad fonts), but if she's ok with listening to other people read out loud for her, then this would work. The real "game" part is the discussion/debate you have about what was read aloud.

Another similar option that I haven't played (and don't know how important the printed components are), might be T.I.M.E Stories.

If the type is small, but she can hold it close to her face, would that help? If so, Sushi Go! or Sushi Go Party! would be a fun family game to include both grandparents and grandchildren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a website that offers accessibility kits for sight impaired:

http://www.64ouncegames.com/

One of the options they have is to add QR codes to cards in a game, so a person can just scan the code and look at and zoom in one the image on their phone/tablet.

Also, there are games that don't rely too heavily on in-game text, such as King of Tokyo. It has some cards with text, but all cards are visible to all players, so other players can read out the text if needed. (This cannot be done with the expansion, King of Tokyo: Power Up!.)

Co-operative games such as Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Pandemic take the pressure off worrying about whether someone visually impaired missed something, since everyone is working together to win. Between the two, Flash Point has even less in-game text, larger pieces and larger movement squares.

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heron
Scotland
Brechin
flag msg tools
Come see us at http://meeplelikeus.co.uk
badge
Persistently controversial. The bad boy of board games.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a quick guide to which games might be a problem, you might find my site useful - I focus on accessibility reviews of games:

http://meeplelikeus.co.uk

You can find the current masterlist at http://tinyurl.com/meeplelikeus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.