3 Posts

Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused about Development Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not have rise of the ancient, I just got Shadow of the Rift and I am confused about what to do with the three development tiles. It says in the rules to put them next to the science discoveries, but then what? People use the research action to "get one?" instead of a tech? Can multiple people get them?

Is it worth playing with them if I only have the three from this game and none from RotA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
I do not have rise of the ancient, I just got Shadow of the Rift and I am confused about what to do with the three development tiles. It says in the rules to put them next to the science discoveries, but then what? People use the research action to "get one?" instead of a tech? Can multiple people get them?

Is it worth playing with them if I only have the three from this game and none from RotA?

I'd say it would be useful. They basically act like Technologies that are available from the beginning. They're placed below the tech board.

Only one person can get each one. They're acquired through a research action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

The rules for developments are in the RotA rulebook:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83706/eclipse-rise-ancien...

Generally, you use 1 more development than the number of players in the game, selected randomly from the pool of available developments (of which there are 8 in RotA and 3 more in SotR, for a pool of 11 with both expansions). So you generally have a different selection of developments every game.

With only 3 of them, you could just use all three every game, or use one or two of them randomly or something. Or make proxy developments (which of all the expansion things in the game, is the easiest to deal with as proxy parts, as you only need one of each and it doesn't matter if they are index cards). Or if possible, get RotA. As RotA adds a *lot* to the game that the basic game needed, and while SotR is an excellent expansion, I don't think it makes up for the lack of RotA in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.