Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Oosterom
Netherlands
De Meern
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We are with 4 players and loved this game. We all know about the lack off expansions coming out etc etc. my question is what do you guys advice to play when you finished this game?

We tried Pathfinder but didn't like that as much.

Hope you guys got some suggestions.

Greetings Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've got a great suggestion: start printing fan-made scenarios and monsters from this forum, and keep playing Warhammer quest ACG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: The Card Game comes to mind - with two core sets (or the upcoming Dunwich Legacy expansion?) you can play with four. Several mechanisms are similar to WQ:ACG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
LotR or Arkham LCG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo the others, Arkham Horror LCG gives much the same feeling although I do miss the dice rolling. I also think Shadowrun Crossfire has a similar feel but is more like a puzzle. Warhammer sort of sits in between those 2 games for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second Lotr and Arkham Horror LCGs, though they have some deckbuilding before the games, and maybe you don't like this. And Arkham Horror doesn't have much content yet, better wait a few months.

In the same style, you have Space Hulk Death Angel, which mechanic was partially used in warhammer quest acg. I think you should like it, and you should find it for a mere 15$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmb
MistFall! I highly recommend checking it out. That is the way I am leaning. Very similar and has expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JavaGammer wrote:
MistFall! I highly recommend checking it out. That is the way I am leaning. Very similar and has expansions.

I could see Mistfall as an option, but I would recommend buying the standalone expansion (Heart of the Mists first) as from what I hear it has a much improved rulebook (the rulebook in the first one was a slog to get through - and I am still not sure I understand the game enough to teach it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For us Arkham Horror the Card Game felt like the next logical step. It is very thematic and the co-op element comes across very strong. We tried Pathfinder, before Warhammer Quest and it wasn't a hit, we didn't find the game play compelling at all. Shadowrun Crossfire had promise, but we found it too, lacked story and beyond being very difficult it didn't deliver what was promised.

However of all the games Warhammer Quest was by far the cheapest point of entry all these other games are more expensive. There are fan scenarios to try or you could of course just play through it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played thru the "base" quest several times. The different combos of characters, and the "chase" for their "special" items keeps things fun for us.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
There have been several fan-made quests and expansions, with likely more to come...as far as another produced game, I'm all ears.

I quite enjoy Pathfinder, but I don't think it's as quick and easy as WHQ to throw down on the table and enjoy. I'm all ears for similar games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'm curious about this topic too.

The ones I have seen that were not mentioned above and might be in this zone (card + adventure + <90 minute playtime + co-op + no DM/GM required),

Aeon's End
Fallen - not co-op, 2p.
The Ninth World: A Skillbuilding Game for Numenera

Not sure if games like that, but set in a dungeon/underground should be lumped in, like

The Red Dragon's Lair
Dungeon Crawler
Fire of Eidolon

For dice instead of cards, see Too Many Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
The ones I have seen that were not mentioned above and might be in this zone (card + adventure + <90 minute playtime + co-op + no DM/GM required),

Aeon's End
Fallen

I may be mistaken but I think Fallen is 2p with 1 player being the dungeon lord.

grandslam wrote:
Not sure if games like that, but set in a dungeon/underground should be lumped in, like

The Red Dragon's Lair
Dungeon Crawler
Fire of Eidolon

For dice instead of cards, see Too Many Bones

I have Dungeon Crawler arriving Thurs and am patiently waiting for my copy of Too Many Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Oosterom
Netherlands
De Meern
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys, seems liek many are struggling with this i am glad i aint the only one. We didn;t try the self made scenarios yet tbh, but looking more into different games.

I got Fallen is a great 2 player game but not for more so not really the next thing.

I have tried Pathfinder and didn;t connect well with it. Two players off the group doing this together they seem to like it more.

goign to look into mistfall for sure, seems great and starting with a stand alone version to see if it fits the bill is a great idea.

Also looking into arkham Hooror the Card game. anyways thanks for all suggestions!!

Greetings Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Löffler
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
... I've got another suggestion for you: Aventuria Adventure Card Game

Especially unlike Mistfall rules aren't that difficult, nice artwork, simple draft and playing mechanism, elaborated characters...
You can fight against each other (1-1 or 2-2) or you can start an cooperative adventure.
Regrettably the game isn't high rated in BBG, but that's not always a benchmark... have at least a look at it.

Regards
Marcus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I may have to do some more research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how long it will take before Game$ Work$hop comes with Sigmar's Hammer and demands that ALL fan made material created for their out of print, no longer available, not for sale game----CEASE and DESIST!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This thread seems like the start of a great geeklist.

Before starting (or if someone has already done it).

Other than co-op, no GM/DM, and 3+ players, are there any other criteria you would use to limit items on the list?

For example, should it require cards (as opposed to dice or a board)?

I started it here,

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/218620/one-non-pvp-advent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Has FFG lost the Games Workshop license or just not supporting/reprinting the game?
Ta
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hogscape wrote:
Has FFG lost the Games Workshop license or just not supporting/reprinting the game?
Ta
Mike

License is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Wow. I wonder if that means Games Workshop is going to do something with the Warhammer RPG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hogscape wrote:
Wow. I wonder if that means Games Workshop is going to do something with the Warhammer RPG?

Games Workshop already has its own Warhammer RPG: Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
That's not, in any way, an actual RPG. It's just a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod
msg tools
mbmb
I'm sad that we won't likely be seeing expansions anytime soon. I actually would encourage you to give Pathfinder another chance. Initially I couldn't really get into it. After playing the app and coming back to the print version after a couple of years, I changed my mind about the game.

On the surface WHQ and PACG seem like they should fit the same mold but they actually are very different kinds of games. WHQ is a dungeon crawler and a lot more literal in it's mechanics (moving as a party, room by room, combat space etc).

I think PACG is best viewed as a abstract representation of an RPG. A lot of the mechanics are not realistic(splitting the party, cornering the villain). I think the point of the game is that it gives a RPG like experience. Whenever I'm done playing I feel like I played an RPG. The leveling up/character progression mechanics are awesome and truly addictive. Use the BGG adventure guides and the experience improves quite a bit (the Pathfinder scenario adventures are also really good and should be the standard way of presenting quests).

Give the app a try.

WHQ is such a good game though with a much simpler and focused rule system. Really hope they continue with this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.