New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I'm just now playing through the saga expansions, and I reached Journey in the Dark, which includes the memorable battle the with Balrog. If you're playing in campaign mode, any hero in your discard pile at the end of the game is a "Fallen Hero" that has negative consequences for the rest of the campaign. But, the only way to destroy the Balrog involves discarding a hero. I wanted to find a way to destroy the Balrog without having a Fallen Hero at the end of the game.

Does anyone have decks that have done it? I recently built and played a deck using the full card pool, and it involved a fun use of Sword-Thain. Upon reflection, I realize now that Fame or Fortune would be a more reliable way of accomplishing the same goal, though the timing would need to be precise.

My final score using the Sword-Thain deck with the full card pool was 100 turns + 24 threat + 0 damage - 64 VPs = 60. I'm curious how other people have fared when destroying the Balrog in campaign mode and avoiding any fallen hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've beaten it one-handed twice by questing through very quick before the Balrog shows up, which avoids a fallen hero but requires considerable questing power and good luck. I haven't played against it yet two-handed.

For retrieving a fallen hero from the discard, Fortune or Fate (Spirit 5 event, core set) was the only card available at the time the quest was released. Recently in the "Storm on Cobas Haven" AP, an alternative was released in the form of The Houses of Healing (Lore 5 event). You can reduce the cost of that one by exhausting healers, but it's also a refresh action. Like with Fortune or Fate, you wouldn't want to finish the final stage before you have a chance to retrieve your hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Does anyone have decks that have done it? I recently built and played a deck using the full card pool, and it involved a fun use of Sword-Thain. Upon reflection, I realize now that Fame or Fortune would be a more reliable way of accomplishing the same goal, though the timing would need to be precise.

I used a Gandalf, Glorfindel (spirit), Aragorn (Lore) deck (+ another hand using the Hobbits). Using Word of Command card, I then added Fame or Fortune to my hand very early in the game. Having Wizard's Pipe allowed me to sacrifice Aragorn and then using the pipe moving FoF to the top of the deck. The combined resource of Glorfindel and Gandalf brought Aragorn back from the abyss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.