6 Posts

Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift» Forums » General

Subject: What is the flavor of special reputation tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the special reputation tiles are fun. It will be exciting to pull something from the bag other than points. But I am confused as to what the flavor is in the game universe.

Victory points I understand. Stories of a glorious battle enliven and increase moral among the civilization and the better you do in a battle the better the stories and mythos. I love it.

But what of the 1-time use +1 action or +1 die roll? How do those manifest in the story of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
I think the special reputation tiles are fun. It will be exciting to pull something from the bag other than points. But I am confused as to what the flavor is in the game universe.

Victory points I understand. Stories of a glorious battle enliven and increase moral among the civilization and the better you do in a battle the better the stories and mythos. I love it.

But what of the 1-time use +1 action or +1 die roll? How do those manifest in the story of the game?

Maybe you're not far off from your VP explanation. Perhaps these tiles can represent a temporary morale/confidence boost which is manifested in a future battle by increased performance of your ships' crews. Like a motivational speech or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always looked at VP in Eclipse not as "which is the best civilization?" but more as "which is the most memorable civilization?"

You can fight your way to a lead in VP from battle, tech, and discoveries but end up with only two hexes at the end and still win.

Sounds like the bittersweet ending to a grand empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
I've always looked at VP in Eclipse not as "which is the best civilization?" but more as "which is the most memorable civilization?"

You can fight your way to a lead in VP from battle, tech, and discoveries but end up with only two hexes at the end and still win.

Sure but what about the "Take one action" or "Take another move" rep tiles?

The more I think about it the more they make me thing there is an exceptional leader that emerges from the battle and that leader is the one you call on in a time of need to give you an extra action, or the elite star fighter who is such a good shot he can re-roll dice for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
veector wrote:

Sure but what about the "Take one action" or "Take another move" rep tiles?

The more I think about it the more they make me thing there is an exceptional leader that emerges from the battle and that leader is the one you call on in a time of need to give you an extra action, or the elite star fighter who is such a good shot he can re-roll dice for you.

There are plenty of stories you can spin from it and they will be different every time. Maybe the battle was against the ancients and you salvaged a piece of gear that makes one of your ships faster but burns out after use. Maybe you found an old prophecy that eerily applies to what is currently going on, allowing you to be better prepared for it (aka you take an extra action)... There is no limit to what it may stand for depending on what the situation is ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.