Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a good civilization building game that supports 2+ players and needs to meet the criteria of having little to no text as English is not my wife's first language. It seems most civ games have lots of cards with text, and to a certain degree it wouldn't be bad if the text was straightforward and didn't use complicated words. Right now, I'm thinking Mare Nostrum: Empires. Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
The Golden Ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel can be played only using the letter I, as in I, II, III, and you can probably get by even without that. Caps at 2 players though.

It's a great game, and ticks some of your boxes, but I will admit that a dozen plays of this has me itching for more civ games. So it may not be a solid fix for your civ needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it, but Nations doesn't look too bad. Or, alternatively, Nations: The Dice Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Civilization only has text on the advancement cards and the small number of commodity cards showing an event. I think it would be simple matter of making a reference sheet translating these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork of The Golden Ages has put me off in the past but I will have to explore the gameplay.

How does Civilization compare to Advanced Civilization? In other words, which is the better game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CVlizations

Peloponnes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would something like Vinci scratch that itch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
dkim06 wrote:
How does Civilization compare to Advanced Civilization? In other words, which is the better game?

Civilization is a great game.
Advanced Civ takes it to the next level.

They are more or less the same game. Adv Civ adds a little and makes a couple changes for the better, such as removing the 11 civilization advance limit.

Edit: In case it's not obvious or you didn't already know... Adv Civ is an expansion for Civ. You need both to play Adv Civ.

Also, I noticed you mentioned 2+ players. Civ/Adv Civ will play at 2 players, but it's not good for anything other than a learning game at 2 player. So as much as I like Adv Civ, I can't recommend it for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
dkim06 wrote:

They are more or less the same game. Adv Civ adds a little and makes a couple changes for the better, such as removing the 11 civilization advance limit.

I think basic Civ requires more long-term planning (especially due to that limit on advances). I would love to play it again someday, but I think that Advanced Civ is the better choice for teaching a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:

Edit: In case it's not obvious or you didn't already know... Adv Civ is an expansion for Civ. You need both to play Adv Civ.

Also, I noticed you mentioned 2+ players. Civ/Adv Civ will play at 2 players, but it's not good for anything other than a learning game at 2 player. So as much as I like Adv Civ, I can't recommend it for 2 player.

Thanks! I had thought they were 2 different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
Would something like Vinci scratch that itch?

If it's anything like Small World, then unfortunately not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get the feeling I was building a civilization playing 7 Wonders so I doubt 7 Wonders Duel would work. I'm also looking for a game with map so Nations and some of the other recommendations won't work. I appreciate it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates, no text, works well with 2-4 players, classic gamers game.

It conveys the civilization building theme in an unconventional (Knizian) way but it's fun to see the kingdoms expand, prosper, clash and break down on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Historia.

A civilization building game with a map that has no text on board or cards; just uses symbols.

It can play up to six players and recommends you pad out the missing players with bots that can provide quite challenging opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:

That's an odd looking map. I'll have to look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
dkim06 wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:

That's an odd looking map. I'll have to look into it.

Err...the lion's share of the board is taken up by the technology/military matrix. The map itself takes up a much smaller part of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchistory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Eclipse is more of a 4x game, though it's impressively (nearly completely) language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.