Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another very successful Kickstarter campaign coming to an end shortly, but I have two issues that have prevented me from joining. Firstly, the miniatures are well done, but so far removed from the Greek Pantheon in overall appearance as to be almost irrelevant to the theme. I've heard others state this as well and after seeing the 'Titans' expansion I had to chime in...as a lifelong fan and enthusiast for Mythology, I was hopeful for a more traditional approach to the figures. I am all for artistic license as long as it's within the realm of something recognizable. I want to look at the board and identify some of the iconic characters of Greek Mythology which has never been rendered nicely in a board game/miniatures game. The Conan kickstarter was much the same, having widely read REH's works, so many of the miniatures looked out of place. Mythic Battles: Pantheon looks more like Mythic Battles: Seven Sins Pantheon or Mythic Battles: Cthulu.
Secondly, this is a remake of an early game called Mythic Battles which only got average reviews but didn't contain miniatures...so all of a sudden miniatures make it a better game? No, maybe a better value if you like miniatures. Just as a movie with great special effects with poor acting and bad story/script isn't a good movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game was good. It just had some issues with setup time and lacking components and lacking enough gods to change up the game. So, this game fixes all of that and further refines the rules.

The art in the game is subject to the artistic interpretations of the creators. I agree that some of the sculpts do deviate from what I had in mind, but most of the core box and stretch goal components are about as close as you can get to the classical versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a fan of classic Greek mythology and overall I am very impressed. Only a small handful of the figures in this game stray super far from the classic interpretation.

All the squads, most of the heroes and monsters and nearly all the gods are perfect in my oppinion.

If you take an all in pledge and spread it out on a table, I think overall the feel of the game will hold that classic look with just a few outlying exceptions.

And as stated. This is a cataclysmic world, so by purchasing the game, you acnowledge that it strays from classic stories.
So for that reason I will accept the creative liscense they took with figures as the game underneath is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please could you say a bit more about what the the Ancient Greek Pantheon and Titans should like?

I am assuming that there is no original source material, but do you mean the way that Titans and gods were represented in Ancient Greek cultures? or later Ancient Roman or more recent (C18? C19?) representations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the original game but skirmish games are a niche and do tend to be less popular than other, tamer, boardgames experiences. It involves direct confrontation and sometimes brutality and humiliation in form of dice rolls . And its not everyone's cup of tea.

It is a simple premisse after all: move and attack. But moving with activation cards and attacking with a novel dice system (while considering special powers) made the game stand out for me, and added a lot of nuances to the gameplay - and some luck mitigation as well.

Scores rarely reflects the game quality, but often its popularity (within reason, of course).

About the theme. It is a fantasy world with the greek Mythology as inspiration, hence the changes (think Camelot 3000). That said, I think there are very few minis that stray too much from the original descriptions - and that includes the tentacular creatures (as there are many of them in Greek Myth and probably some inspired Lovecraft). Outside of that, guys are big and women are hot, which is of course not historically accurate, but I am ok with that (specially in this case, since greeks mostly depicted their heroes and gods like beautiful human beings, just with the aesthetic of their time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never played the original Mythic Battles so can't comment on it. I have played MBP a few times and was hooked from the first game. I am a minis gamer and card gamer so the confrontation style worked very well for me. As a game with minimal set-up time, simple rules, but lots of depth, it's perfect for me.

I'm also an ancient Greek historian, and have no issues at all with the artistic direction of the game.

Suffice to say I'm backing this one lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your criticisms have been brought up before (especially the gameplay one), and you can look elsewhere for more detail, but essentially it's not the exact same game. The gameplay has been refined and streamlined.

As far as aesthetics, even a cursory glance at the backstory would reveal that the game takes place in an alternate mythology that's grimmer and darker, it was never meant to be a rehash of classic sculptures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swr66 wrote:
Firstly, the miniatures are well done, but so far removed from the Greek Pantheon in overall appearance as to be almost irrelevant to the theme.

Nothing you do about it, it's artistic fredom.
That said, Cthulhu is inspired by descriptions of Typhon, not the other way around.

Quote:
Secondly, this is a remake of an early game called Mythic Battles which only got average reviews but didn't contain miniatures...so all of a sudden miniatures make it a better game?

They streamlined the rules (more heroes, monsters, Gods, other mechanics) and added miniatiures as people downrated the game because of the lack of minis.

I backed the Mare Nostrum KS that in its new improved edition got a 7.9. The former installment only got a 6.8.
Think about it like this: it can only get better and a 7.1 isn't bad to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Your criticisms have been brought up before (especially the gameplay one), and you can look elsewhere for more detail, but essentially it's not the exact same game. The gameplay has been refined and streamlined.

As far as aesthetics, even a cursory glance at the backstory would reveal that the game takes place in an alternate mythology that's grimmer and darker, it was never meant to be a rehash of classic sculptures.

I get all of that and my original post said specifically that artistic license is fine with the sculpting, However, I prefer a twist to the classical look not a wholesale change...I think some of the Heroes and Gods look quite nice but still recognizable as Greek Mythology inspired. Additionally, if the game were to expand into other forms of Mythology...i.e. Egyptian, Norse, Chinese...how would you be able to identify them? Some of these miniatures have ZERO Greek Pantheon Inspiration to identify them by. Thor with tentacles anyone? or Anubis wearing a Tricorn perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic Battles is fantastic, and I feel like this can only go up from there with the stellar components and the condition/stat tracker dashboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.