10 Posts

Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift» Forums » General

Subject: Shapers, exploring the future? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused why it is useful to explore into the future. I am not sure what benefit this has. You spend an action now to do nothing, then two turns later you actually do the explore? Why not just do it now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more theme than anything, but by doing so, you get VP per the Shaper's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I guess that's true...

Do you get to choose when in the future or is it always 2 turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each tile is different, but yes, it's limited to the tile. I will say sometimes exploring a tier III hex isn't desired right away in every circumstance and so it's nice to set it aside for later especially if you know what hex it is based on if any hexes have been discarded earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you spend the action on it now. What advantage to you get for seeing it later? Seeing it now seems much better even if you aren't ready to act on it. Now you get to spend the next two turns adding it into your strategy instead of being surprised.

I do get the +2VP that is worth going for, I guess exploring future is kinda like "bad" exploring and the trade off is +2VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see an example where there is a Tier III hex that has an advanced economy planet and regular economy planet. Exploring it and taking over the system now is actually not worth colonizing the system if you don't have the advanced econ tech. Let's say you research the advanced econ tech in the round you would explore the set aside tile. You can then explore anytime during that round on your turn without taking an action. I'll admit usually it's not a great use of an action, but I could see how it might be an advantage in rare circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
VirtualAlex wrote:
But you spend the action on it now. What advantage to you get for seeing it later? Seeing it now seems much better even if you aren't ready to act on it. Now you get to spend the next two turns adding it into your strategy instead of being surprised.
Right, I see no reason or rule that would forbid looking at it now. So you indeed can prepare well for it.

A good reason to use this ability might be to hinder other players to take the last system, even if you are momentarily unable to place it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you can look at it first? Ok that makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
VirtualAlex wrote:
I am confused why it is useful to explore into the future. I am not sure what benefit this has. You spend an action now to do nothing, then two turns later you actually do the explore? Why not just do it now?

Something important that seems to be missing from the replies so far: You do NOT take an action (use an influence disc on your action track) when you play the time distortion and set the hex aside. You will place one of your influence discs on the explore action spot two turns later when you actually place that tile on the board. Also, you do not look at the set aside tile until the you take the action in the later turn.

In fact, unless I'm forgetting something, for all of the time distortions, none of them involve using an action on the turn you play the distortion (the earlier turn). Also note that playing a distortion tile does not count as an action (you play distortions before you take an action/reaction when it's your turn).

Therefore, the benefit of the exploration distortion is usually that you can 'reserve' one extra ring III hex for yourself (before they run out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

As noted, every distortion tile you fulfill gets you +1VP at the end of the game. The ones that get you good stuff from the future (dreadnaughts, technology, etc.) help you now a lot, but they also might be hard to pay off when you need to pay them off, resulting in a VP loss. Most of the "send something to the future" distortion tiles are pretty low impact and easy to deal with, just to get free VPs.

Sending an interceptor 2 turns to the future to get a VP? You might as well. Costs you virtually nothing. Gets you a VP. Might be useful to show up in your neighbors hex when they aren't expecting it as well.

Exploring into the future? Costs you nothing now to grab a III tile before they run out. In two turns, you drop it in your back territory for an action that you can probably afford better then. Get a free VP.

Sending a starbase to the future? Costs you not much (having built a cheap starbase). Now in a few turns, you get to *attack your neighbor* with a starbase, which if you plan to take advantage of, can be really handy (send in a dreadnaught or two and back it up with a time distorted starbase? Not a bad attack). And you get a VP.

I mean, yeah, if you use up all your distortion tiles sending stuff to the future, it gets in the way of you getting +3 computers from the future, or whatever (as you only draw +1 tile per turn). But still, if you have a minimal effort "send a thing to the future" to play, you might as well for the VPs and the kooky effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.