Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Flag burning is America's drawing Mohammed.

(shamelessly stolen from twitter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
It's this kind of big government BS that I can't stand about Trump.

I think you mean fascism...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jail me?! It was an accident, I promise. I was trying to burn the Qur'an but got confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with Trump on this one. I doubt he will pursue any legislation this is just a locker room comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
bjlillo wrote:
It's this kind of big government BS that I can't stand about Trump.
From a libertarian perspective, he's the absolute worst of both worlds: A big-government Republican who has already been co-opted by the darkest forces of the socially conservative/reactionary alt-right. The perfect American fascist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
100,000 people like that?

Fuck. This is scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The alt-Left fascination with fascism continues.

One could see a case for what he suggests, but it sounds more like a 3:00 AM tweet and not remotely like a serious suggestion. Besides there's a bit of thing called the Constitution that wouldn't pass muster here.

Another round of bluster from the alt-Left, signifying nothing except how badly they lost.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
I don't agree with Trump on this one. I doubt he will pursue any legislation this is just a locker room comment.

Does he have any other kind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For in it, a man - believed to be a member of the right-wing group Bolton North West Infidels - attempts to burn the EU flag. (Watch the video to understand why he’s not happy with the EU. Something to do with it “forced mass immigration” which is “genocide on the British people”.)

The only hitch? Due to what are no doubt EU safety regulations, the flag isn’t flammable.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/31/eu-flag-burning-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

One could see a case for what he suggests, but it sounds more like a 3:00 AM tweet and not remotely like a serious suggestion. Besides there's a bit of thing called the Constitution that wouldn't pass muster here.

Another round of bluster from the alt-Left, signifying nothing except how badly they lost.

Ferret

Does it worry you that your President-elect is posting crazy 3AM tweets?
As it stands, the last time this was tried it came very close to passing. I expect you'll be telling us in 6 months that only traitors would want to burn a flag anyway, and that taking someone's citizenship away is an appropriate punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Awesome! I knew that if Trump got elected, Democrats would suddenly rediscover the Constitution -- and specifically the first Amendment!

All is proceeding as I have foreseen!

Welcome to the club, Johnny-come-latelies!

It has been fascinating to watch. They're starting to come to grips with the problems of executive overreach, seeing the value of the First Amendment, and talking about defending people against government oppression (which will hopefully lead to further understanding/appreciation of the Second Amendment.)

The scales falling from the eyes of lefties has been truly amazing to behold even if it has been just a few of them. Lots of them are still stuck in their cocoons. Hopefully they'll join us in reality soon.

[dramatic music and a baritone announcers voice says]
Meanwhile in a world where there are only tropes...
All but a few Republican's are racists!
[end dramatic music]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Stop trying to make alt-left a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Awesome! I knew that if Trump got elected, Democrats would suddenly rediscover the Constitution -- and specifically the first Amendment!

So, since I seem to have missed them, where have there been any big Democratic attacks on actual freedom of speech?

(Just so we're clear, the ability to access privately held means of communication owned by other people is NOT covered by the first amendment, nor is facing social backlash or criticism for what you say).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Yes, silly us assuming that the president elect means what he says.

He's probably just drunk texting again, oh that crazy trump! Ha ha ha what a wacky guy we picked to run the most powerful nation on earth! What a bunch of zany mishaps we're in for during the next four years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

So, since I seem to have missed them, where have there been any big Democratic attacks on actual freedom of speech?

(Just so we're clear, the ability to access privately held means of communication owned by other people is NOT covered by the first amendment, nor is facing social backlash or criticism for what you say).

There's some argument that Citizens United constitutes free speech.

(I can buy it for saying "people and companies can support whoever they want," I can't buy it for "and that money doesn't need to be transparent.")

And there's the witch hunts over people saying naughty stuff and getting fired... although that doesn't affect the first amendment, it's what a lot of people are thinking of here. (I'm mainly thinking about the scientist who was unfairly fired after making a joke about falling in love with his grad student, who was now his wife. That was egregious backlash.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Yeah, liberals have never defended people's right to burn the flag before.

You crack me up, Drew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It has been fascinating to watch. They're starting to come to grips with the problems of executive overreach, seeing the value of the First Amendment, and talking about defending people against government oppression (which will hopefully lead to further understanding/appreciation of the Second Amendment.)

The scales falling from the eyes of lefties has been truly amazing to behold even if it has been just a few of them. Lots of them are still stuck in their cocoons. Hopefully they'll join us in reality soon.

You two are greatly misinformed on this one. Take a look at the history of flag burning in the United States and tell me, with a straight face, that liberals were against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Did he mention which American flag he was talking about?

Some of his friends might have a more general interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly how many Mulligan's and Oops-a-daisy's does he get? I'd like to be able to keep track and know when it's a serious problem? 5? 10? 50? 500? Just curious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Yes. McCain/Feingold was a massive attack on political speech. The Citizens United case was a backlash against a Democrat attack on political speech. There are attacks on freedom of religion coming from the lefties here constantly with the high profile Obamacare abortifacient mandate and the Cake Wars cases being the most obvious.

The attorneys for the Obama Administration during the Citizens United case even made the argument that we need to ban certain books before an election. I can't recall whether or not they insisted we toss the heretical works into a big pile and burn them or not. I have a hard time keeping the anti-speech tyrants straight in my mind sometimes.

Just last year, the Obama Administration pushed Apple to have them put a back door on iOS so that law enforcement could keep an eye on what you were saying.

If you want to go back to the Clinton Administration, we've got the ban on a few albums pushed by Tipper Gore and her moral police. We've got the Communications Decency Act, the Child Online Protection Act, and mandating the V-chip in televisions.

I'm sure there's more, but my time is limited. Do a little digging and you'll be able to discover lots more with a little effort. Democrats have not been friends of the First Amendment for a very long time.

Democrats typically weren't fans of the Patriot Act.

It's (sadly) a lot easier to call out attacks on free speech when they're coming from the "opposition."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Democrats typically weren't fans of the Patriot Act.

It's (sadly) a lot easier to call out attacks on free speech when they're coming from the "opposition."

The only Democrat in the Senate to vote against the Patriot Act was Russ Feingold who later had his name on McCain/Feingold, one of the biggest attacks on free speech in modern American history. Neither party can claim innocence from that mess.

Oh I don't mean the elected representatives from our one party system -- I mean liberal voters who don't have a voice.

I don't mean "oh sorry we can't do anything with this congressional majority because of rampant obstructionism that will oddly disappear once power shifts."

(Ok, that might simply be more cynical than is reasonable.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump's Starting To Wear His Fascism More Visibly On His Sleeve

fightcitymayor wrote:

Like totalitarian regimes, fascists often lionize symbols over the actual freedoms that they're supposed to represent, so much so that protection of the symbols outweigh the actual freedoms that those symbols are supposed to represent. The ulterior motive for their protecting the symbols is to to prevent those symbols from being used in protests against the regime.

> Excerpts from the November 29, 2016 Right Wing Watch news story by Brian Tashman entitled:

Flag Crusader Donald Trump Doesn’t Even Know What Its 13 Stripes Represent

This morning, President-elect Donald Trump tweeted that burning the American flag should be punishable by “loss of citizenship or year in jail!”

In an interview last year, Trump said that flag burning should be illegal and remarked, “People burning the flag, I don’t like them in this country.”

But Trump, who made a point of hugging the American flag at campaign rallies, has admitted that he doesn’t even know what the 13 stripes on the flag represent. In 2008, “The Colbert Report” profiled Trump’s battle with a California municipality over his golf course’s 70-foot-tall flag pole, which at the time was higher than what the city’s regulations allowed.

While speaking about the “un-American” opposition to his flag pole, Trump admitted, “I don’t know what the 13 stripes represent.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm such a big-shot that whenever I see a flag I want to burn, I just grab it by the pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret
LOL!
For eight years we heard nothing but "OBAMA IS SHREDDING WHAT'S LEFT OF THE CONSTITUTION!"
But the next president (who hasn't even taken office yet) literally threatens to violate said document, and it's "not remotely like a serious suggestion."

You Trump apologists are hysterical in a pathetic way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.