Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Norm

As I don't know how to address you on your website I am trying it this way.

After playing all scenarios in the rules and the Yartzewo Defiant campaign I have some questions.

1) Are tank riders able to shoot while riding?

2) When an enemy unit moves into a hex with a lone observer what happens to this observer?

3) In the marker set the PIN marker is missing.

4) Campaign: is Smoke from infantry possible?

5) Campaign: there is no antitank capability for infantry, except the A/T rifle for the Russians. Is this intentionally?

I enjoyed playing Tigers at Minsk. Lacking space and having no miniatures I made a Vassal module on my own and played the game according the rules and a solo system. Both ways are satisfying. Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, thanks so much for giving all the scenarios and campaign a go. I have never really had any feedback on the campaign module, so had no idea whether it was played or enjoyed etc, so I appreciate that you saw it through.

Your Questions;

1) Are tank riders able to shoot while riding?

Answer - No - it was always my intention that their task was to drive into the enemy positions and dismount, which I saw as function. To have them firing would likely result un unrealistic use.

2) When an enemy unit moves into a hex with a lone observer what happens to this observer?

Answer - It is a melee situation, the observers will not get any dice, other than the one for (always) being in cover. If they receive a second pin .. they WILL be eliminated. The Observer rule on page 16 needs to be amended to reflect that, good catch.

3) In the marker set the PIN marker is missing.

Answer - Yes - sorry about that. I actually designed the counters to be used in my miniature games, which have a wooden marker (that is small but easy to pick up) to represent pin. I then made the counter sheet available without even thinking about pin markers not being present on it. You will need to invent a markere.

4) Campaign: is Smoke from infantry possible?

Answer - I did not include smoke as part of the Order of Battle in the campaign game. However, if you wish to introduce it, then I would suggest that at the start of every battle, the ATTACKER (only) rolls a D6. If the German player rolls a 1 - 4 they get smoke capacity, if the Soviets roll 1 - 2 they get smoke capacity. Attackers that fail their roll do not get any infantry smoke capacity for that game.

5) Campaign: there is no antitank capability for infantry, except the A/T rifle for the Russians. Is this intentionally?

Answer Yes, The period is pre Panzerschreck and Panzerfaust, so obviously those weapons are not included. The A/T rifle was used in the early to mid war German army, but by comparison the Soviet A/T rifle had large supplies and I felt the A/T rifle and Molotov cocktail together added character to the Soviet OoB just to make them a little different. You could certainly award the Germans one or two A/T rifles, say one in the opening scenario with their number 1 reinforcement and then possibly one in the German reinforcement number 5, though I would be tempted not to award them any.

hope that helps and again, thanks for getting involved with the rules. Scenario 6 - Escape from Bobruisk is my favourite scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your reply. I think for the moment everything is clear.

It would be much appreciated if there were more modules and nations. But concerning the more than meagre feedback it can be very discouraging. No offenses by my part if you stop the whole venture.

When I saw the first time your hex game I was reminded of PBI by Pig Games. For several years I played it with miniatures and always alone and the square grid was a great help speeding up the game and no ambiguities with position and cover. And now I see it with your game and I am hooked again.

If you do not mind I would like to know how you compute the stats for vehicles. I could do it by deducting from the two available army lists but I do not like guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris, I use formula (not scientific) for the stats and then will adjust perhaps +1 or -1 if the result does not feel right compared to other vehicles or for something special such as very good sloped armour etc. (I did that last year to the StuG III when revising some rules.

If you don't mind, I will not disclose those sums at this time as I am still unsure whether or not to move the design forward on a commercial basis. I hope to do more modules.

I do know the rules have been looked at a lot, but have no idea on any level of popularity etc, because as you note, feedback on the internet is a rare thing indeed. It seems to be the way with things that are free, while things with a charge on it, seem to earn a higher regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.