Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rules [+] [View All]
Michael Fairchild
United States
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't see much of a downtime issue with the normal rulebook turn order in a 3-player game. So I use this mainly for a 4-player game.

This is an adjustment to the "official" turn order variant, as we didn't really like the changing of first player based on who passes first. So this way is similarly good at reducing downtime, but simpler and, in our opinion, more balanced.

* At the start of the game determine a first player
* During each round, turn play is done clockwise starting from the first player (like most games)
* At the end of each round, the First Player Marker rotates clockwise (like most games)
* Start of the game money is as follows...
P1 : 12
P2 : 11
P3 : 10
P4 : 13

The way starting money is done might seem a little counter intuitive, but it's done this way, as opposed to the official variant way, because it's actually more balanced. Rotating play clockwise, as well as rotating the first player marker clockwise at the end of each round, results in the initial player 3 position of a 4 player game with the slightly better average turn order as shown below...

P1 : 1/4/3/2/1/4/3 = average 2.57
P2 : 2/1/4/3/2/1/4 = average 2.43
P3 : 3/2/1/4/3/2/1 = average 2.29
P4 : 4/3/2/1/4/3/2 = average 2.71

--And though I personally don't feel that a change to the normal rulebook turn order is necessary in a 3-player game, you can still certainly use this method to reduce downtime if you want. In this case it works the same, but starting money is changed to...
P1 : 10
P2 : 11
P3 : 12

...because with only 3-players the ideal position changes
P1 : 1/3/2/1/3/2/1 : average 1.86
P2 : 2/1/3/2/1/3/2 : average 2.00
P3 : 3/2/1/3/2/1/3 : average 2.14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Adjustment to "official" 4-player turn order variant
Rev618 wrote:
This is an adjustment to the "official" turn order variant, as we didn't really like the changing of first player based on who passes first.

I suspect you are misunderstanding something. The first player doesn't change based on who passes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fairchild
United States
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Adjustment to "official" 4-player turn order variant
DaviddesJ wrote:
I suspect you are misunderstanding something.  The first player doesn't change based on who passes first.

Not sure what you mean. The "official" variant says...

"NEW START PLAYER
-The player who passes first in a round takes the first player token."

Sounds to me like whoever passes first is the new first player.

But regardless, with my way you do change first player each round clockwise. Which balances the first player between the players a little better....and the starting money done this way further balances it out better than the "official" variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4-player turn order variant
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were proposing a variant to an existing variant. It was posted a year ago and I'd completely forgotten about it. Maybe you could have referred/linked to that previous variant in your posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fairchild
United States
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4-player turn order variant
DaviddesJ wrote:
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were proposing a variant to an existing variant. Maybe you could have referred/linked to that previous variant in your posting.

Lol. Sorry for the confusion. Didn't mean my variant was "official". Just that it was more or less an adjustment to the "official" variant. Which I guess just makes it a variant on it's own. Lol.

That said, it does work just as well at reducing downtime...while being a little simpler and more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so far, I've played GAH only with my wife. But looking at official variant and this one, I like yours much better. It's more intuitive and seems better balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.