Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation:
A Rebel player performed a move (1st action) to get adjacent to a terminal. Then the second action was used to perform a test to deactivate that terminal. She failed the test. She then decided to instead of using the first action to move, she was going to strain to move the 2 spaces to get to the door which would free up an action to perform a second test (since they failed the first).

I ruled to let it go that time, but I couldn't allow that in the future. IMO, once you complete an action, you shouldn't be allowed to change your action based on an undesirable result. I got some flak for it as she was saying it's no different than moving, then changing your mind. I countered with that THAT was fine, but changing your mind AFTER your strategy didn't play out (especially when dice were rolled) wasn't.

16 missions in before this came up, so I guess that's pretty good. Anyway, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's complete BS. She cheated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
No takebacks when new information has been revealed.

(But to avoid it in the future, you might want to ask each time they move by 2 movement points if they used strain to gain movement points or the Move action.)

If the rebels are on a losing streak, then you can be more lenient on a case-by-case basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once dice are rolled, or the game state changes in any other way, you cannot go back. That's just common sense gaming rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok... The Imperials eventually won that mission. cool I'm generally a "not out to win at all costs" player (as the Imperial), so while I do try to win, I can scale back if it's looking like a blowout. However, I did want to make it clear that that sort of thing won't be allowed anymore. In my opinion, that's no different than not having a successful attack and deciding to nullify it and go after someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I allow tackebacks until dice are rolled or some other thing happens that is irreversable like triggering an event. Changing move to strain move after a failed test would not be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Once dice are rolled, or the game state changes in any other way, you cannot go back. That's just common sense gaming rules...

Yep, once dice are rolled that's it. If you didn't like the outcome you can't go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, cool. Thanks everyone. I thought that seemed pretty straightforward, but the girl (my fiancee) who questioned it is a long-time gamer and would be the last person I would have expected to question that particular rule. Just her competitive spirit, I guess... and it was her character's side mission, so I guess that amped it up for the need to win on her part.
(and all was well after. win some. lose some.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vesper2112 wrote:
OK, cool. Thanks everyone. I thought that seemed pretty straightforward, but the girl (my fiancee) who questioned it is a long-time gamer and would be the last person I would have expected to question that particular rule. Just her competitive spirit, I guess... and it was her character's side mission, so I guess that amped it up for the need to win on her part.
(and all was well after. win some. lose some.)

You didn't say she was your fiancée. She's right. Do whatever she says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! I suppose that IS the right answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty lenient when it comes to take backs as long as the dice haven't been rolled. Or if there was a case where there is clearly an efficient way to do a series of actions and it doesn't change the roll, I will let them do that

But then again my group doesn't plan out every detail and they play a bit loose so I need to let up a bit otherwise it will too tough. But no take backs on the dice once they are rolled, even for my wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would allow this take-back only if the player could provide justification that they should have spent strain instead of movement points even assuming the test would have been successful.

For example, in this situation, assume the next place the Rebel would want to go is X movement points away, where X is 1 or 2 more spaces, they could say they were planning to spend the strain to get there after the move action. Thus, changing that to strain movement followed by a move after the interact would be a better approach.

In other words, if they can prove they were going to use the strain movement anyway, there is no harm in moving it to earlier in the turn to provide another option in the case of the test failing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would be fine with that. In this particular case, the Rebel player felt rolling a single surge on the test was a virtual sure thing, so she just didn't plan that turn out the best way.
As was suggested, if I can remember to ask if future moves (when they only go 1 or 2 spaces) was an action move or strain, at least it'll establish it and make it easier to deal with if someone asks to change their mind after a dice roll. No... you had the chance to use strain before the die roll.

But yeah, otherwise, I'm pretty lenient with letting players do things that they accidentally forgot about during their turn (like some ability to remove a strain or add a focus, or whatever). Within reason, of course. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I typically go by the Mage Knight rules-

You can always take an action back unless you now know something you couldn't have known at the start of the turn.

For instance, if a player made a stupid mistake and tried moving to a door and opening it, only to realize that they couldn't reach the door that turn (even with strain) and wanted to do something else, that's fine. But if dice are rolled or new cards are drawn, they're cheating if they want to change their mind.

This allows for the game not to be decided by a stupid fleeting mistake, but by the actual strategy of players- not to say mistakes can't happen, but if you realize it within your turn and there was no new information, you can go back and be a little smarter.

Honestly, she should have known that, it's common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It basically comes down to "does the player now have access to information they could not have had when the mistake was made?" Ala dice results, mission events, etc. Your fiancé only wanted to change her action as a result of the dice roll, which she couldn't have known beforehand.

That being said, it's a fun game with loved ones, it's not a tournament. The rule I tell all my players is that "take backs in the same turn are totally fine until dice are rolled, cards are drawn or hidden information is revealed" I tend to be very lenient on these things with newer or rusty players, or when I'm winning, and I only get strict when I'm losing or if it's the finale or if I can tell my leniency is being abused with repeated sloppiness within the same mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's a matter of how harsh you want to be.

If I was losing, I'd probably say no way. Players should be choosing actions carefully and be aware of the risks of potential failed attacks/checks. Presumably that's why they're winning in the first place!

If I was winning, I'd probably say go ahead. If Diala was in the group though, I'd force them to use her force adept ability (assuming she had it)to re-roll first and if they still failed, I'd let it go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.