Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had to request quite a bit of replacement stuff recently, and I am kind of suprised. Legendary Encounters: Alien had a missing card. I read some posts on BGG that said that is fairly normal. I opened my copy of Descent and the quest guide was completely bent on one corner and the spine was also bent. King of Tokyo arrived with a smashed side (probably UPS' fault). Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game was missing the "Die Zombie Die" scenario card. Finally, my Secret Santa game, Trickerion: Legends of Illusion, arrived and one of the magician handbooks had a gouge and about a one inch cut on the cover.

Every item was replaced for free, and the companies have been easy to work with and very courtious. I'm just wondering if I have bad luck, or if missing and damaged items are a common enough occurrence. What are your thoughts or experiences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought about a thousand games, and never had a problem bad enough that I thought it warranted asking the publisher to fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's rare, though it does happen. FFG replaced misprinted Arkham Horror item deck for free. And I haven't really contacted anyone, but Codenames was missing a card holder, which is annoying, but I bought a price tag holder for 0.20eur and it works. All other games were good, if only with inadequate box inserts (FFG, you scoundrel!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I've bought about a thousand games, and never had a problem bad enough that I thought it warranted asking the publisher to fix it.

You are fortunate. I have had about 5 times now with 500+ games where an item was missing or damaged. 4 of the 5 the publisher remedied the situation within a week. The other (8th Summitt Games) never replied after 2 weeks and thus I went back to the online retailer (MM) who promised to take care of it today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
600+ games and I've had maybe 8 or 9 instances where I needed to ask for replacement parts. In some cases, there were widespread problems with the games and many people needed replacement parts. For example:

* Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar arrived with a torn board.
* Clash of Cultures: Civilizations arrived with bent, distorted miniatures.

In other cases, the problems seemed to be somewhat isolated:

* Comuni was missing 1 card.
* Terra Mystica was missing about 6 wooden pieces in one color.
* Takenoko had deep grooves in about 2/3 of the cards.

There were a few other issues similar to (but less extensive than) these.

In all cases, the publisher sent me replacements quickly and with no hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of games bought new, I'm running about 2%-3% error rate (4% if you include Kickstarters) I think that's pretty poor quality control, especially for relatively high print run games...

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - got a bunch of incorrect cards with the base game.. had to have them send me replacements... Wasn't that big a deal, except I had to go through and inventory them all and balance it against the card list, item by item..

Splendor - they shorted me the Noble Cards.. had a bit of trouble getting a response from the publisher, but ultimately got it resolved..

Kickstarter:

Asking for Trobils - defective board, had bubbles where the board creases.. publisher replaced it.. the game was completely playable as is.. I just didn't think I should have to live with a bad board.

Alien Frontiers - broken plastic miniature (ray dish broke off) and misprinted boards (missing printed arrows). They sent me a replacement miniature, and the game included stickers to fix the misprinted boards, but I never put them on.. It really didnt affect gameplay at all, and I would've probably never get the stickers aligned properly, and that would bother me more than not having the arrows at all.. IMO, the bigger issue was with the Kickstarter Campaign being so late..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - got a bunch of incorrect cards with the base game.. had to have them send me replacements... Wasn't that big a deal, except I had to go through and inventory them all and balance it against the card list, item by item..

This! I think there is something like 600 total cards in Legendary Encounters: Aliens...I went through that &%$@ing deck three *!#%ing times! I then sent the most passive aggressive email in the history of mankind to Upper Deck...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to have bad luck. I'd say I've had to request replacements for about 20% of the new games I've bought. Missing cards, broken minis, damaged cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have around 50 games in my collection and the only two issues I've had both occurred last year. Machi Koro had some badly printed cards and Factory Manager was missing a meeple. Both were replaced free of charge after contacting the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Back in May, I bought a copy of The Duke: Robin Hood Expansion, and discovered that it was missing a tile, and had a duplicate of another tile in its place. I emailed the company at their customer service address, and got no reply. I tried a few days later, and again got no reply. I tried a third time sometime in August or September, still to no avail.

After the first two attempts, I started a thread to try to find an alternate way to contact the company, and also hoping that someone from the company might see the thread and respond directly there, but no such luck.

I would have just returned the product to the store that I bought it from, if I hadn't just carelessly ripped the packet open, instead of carefully removing the staples so that it could be re-closed like new. But it didn't occur to me that there would be a problem, and once I discovered the error, I figured that getting a replacement piece would be simple, like in the past with other companies. But alas, I seem to be stuck with a defective product for the forseeable future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephen
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a partially related note, I bought Munchkin the board game a few years back and after our first play through, I found that one of the pieces had fallen on the floor and been chewed by the dog.

I contacted Steve Jackson games, explained the situation (didn't try to claim it came this way) and asked if I could buy a replacement.

They emailed back in a couple days (this was during the festive period so was impressed enough at that) and sent me the piece for free with a couple promos.

So yeah, one and only time contacting anybody for a replacement and I would say it was an A+ response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had varying degrees of issues with:

Resolved
Pandemic - card with a ripped edge
Agricola (Zman) - 20-30 cards had a line depressed into the back making it clear which cards were which
Dominant Species - two broken cubes (half was missing)
Maria - Shipping damage only
Robinson Crusoe (Zman) - 3 cards with identifiable damage
Duel of Ages II - 2 damaged cards (I bought it used), but they replaced them for only $1 shipping

Pending:
Mage Knight - currently unresolved - two badly damaged map tiles
Mage Knight: LL - currently unresolved; too many issues to describe here.

I've had amazing service from everyone so far. I sure hope I can resolve my Mage Knight issues...such a good game; such shotty components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.