$35.00
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all. One of the things I (and I know you) love about this game is coming up with combos, the bigger and crazier the better. I'm sure we all know tons. Perhaps you like using Visionary to play Twist the Ethers on Absolute Zero to send his damage and healing through the stratosphere. Maybe you're more of a “do you want to build an army” type with Argent Adept throwing extra plays at Unity. How about a wipe the field type with Mr Fixer and Sky Scraper so you can Abuse Jack Handle with Compulsion Canister? Perhaps you like just taking out 1 enemy real quick by using Setback's Friendly Fire with Dual Crowbars to just whack Setty over and over again so you can whack the enemy too. Or perhaps if you are really really brave you can tread the bookkeeping nightmare that is Scholar and Argent Adept (Yay Electronic Version) to simulate about 5 turns in a row. While I am a huge fan of all these combos while tinkering around I thought of a combo that might just top all of them. Freedom Five Wraith - Guise.

So at first glance it might not be obvious that these 2 can work well together but there is a combo that these 2 can pull off that is so crazy it can often result in turn 2 or even turn 1 wins as long as Guise has a specific card in hand. That card is I Can Do That, Too!

I Can Do That, Too!: "Guise uses a power printed on an active hero character card in play.
If that power has the name of a hero in it, treat that name as if it were Guise instead."

Freedom Five Wraith's innate ability is Clandestine Funding.

Clandestine Funding: Draw a card. Until the end of your next turn, whenever you draw a card, you may discard a card. If you do, another player draws a card.

If you think about it you'll probably see the first part of the combo. If 2 characters have the above ability active you end up in a very special situation where when one draws a card they can discard a card to allow the other to draw a card, who in turn can discard a card to let the first draw again and repeat infinitely. Although you won't actually net any additional card draws you can keep passing the draw back and forth until you each have the exact hand that you want. It’s important to note that the card that is discarded is not necessarily the card that was drawn. As an example of what I mean say after a draw if you have 5 cards. You can keep drawing and discarding until those 5 cards are whatever 5 cards that you want them to be (as long as the card isn’t in play) even cycling your discard pile to get at the cards in there.

So Wraith and Guise can set their hands to be whatever they want. While indeed a very impressive feat you’re probably asking “where’s the auto-win?” For that we need to have a talk about Guise.

Guise is a very fun hero with a very unique tool set which opens up huge combos to him often involving massive multiple play rounds with tons of card draws and damage dealing. However it is also known to some that Guise, on his own, has an infinite combo which when done right will yield a string of never ending plays, draws, healing and damage however it usually requires a very specific set-up, namely he needs nearly every card in his deck and discard to be drawn into his hand to do it.

So how does it work? First you need to have Selling Out in play. Then at then end of the environment turn when prompted to discard you discard a Oneshot (NOT Best Card Ever). After that each and every time you are about to take an action follow the following rules (ie each time you need to make a decision start from rule 1 going down til you find a rule whose "if clause" is met and then loop back to the top for the next decision):

1. If you are discarding for Selling Out; Always discard a useless One Shot,

2. If you need to play a card AND you have Best Card Ever in hand AND you have at least 2 cards in your deck/discard; play Best Card Ever and raise the roof (the roof is gonna be raised reeeeeeeeeeeeeally high).

3. If you need to play a card AND Selling Out has 0 more plays remaining (after the current play); play Retrocon, destroy Selling Out, choose to play a card, play your second Selling Out

4. If you need to play a card AND you have at least 2 cards in your deck/discard; play Where Did I Leave That (If you reach this rule Where Did I Leave That should draw at least 1 copy of Best Card Ever).

5. Otherwise: play pretty much anything you want.

If followed you will never run out of Plays as the Retrocon -> Selling Out will reset your play counter each time. Further you will end up cycling Best Card Ever a lot letting you redraw your cards often and you will draw more cards than you are playing/discarding and even better every play of Best Card Ever will allow you to deal damage. On top of that you will also end up with “free” plays occasionally which you can use to play any card you want (ie step 5 above) which allows you to play supplemental cards like Guise the Barbarian or Xtrrreeeeeeeeeeeem to overcome damage reduction/redirection. Lastly, if up against an “immune to melee” enemy, you can also play Cold Shoulder an infinite number of times (again whenever you reach step 5) to finish them off that way. Basically unless the villain has some sort of complete immunity to Melee and Cold damage or some sort of continuous reaction ability (ie when a hero draws/ plays/deals damage something happens) once the combo starts the Heros win the game.

Now that we’ve had a lesson on breaking the game with Guise but where does Freedom Five Wraith fit in? Well as mentioned above Guise can only do his infinite combo on his own if he has basically his whole deck drawn. The combo relies heavily on cycling your Best Card Evers as often as you can and in order to do this reliably you must have as few other cards floating in your deck to get in your way. However if Guise had the ability to draw any card he wanted from his deck/discard pile whenever he draws a card… well that’s a completely different story. With the ability to completely control his draws he could pull off the combo with just about any hand size. The very ability he can obtain using I Can Do That, Too! with Clandestine Funding and working together with Wraith.

The combo Really has 3 steps to it.

First we need to get the perfect drawing functional. Guise needs I Can Do That, Too! And preferably is seated after Wraith. Wraith uses her ability on her turn and Guise copies.

Second we need a draw to set Guise’s hand up. Any single draw will allow Guise to have any hand he wants. Unfortunately Clandestine Funding’s draw happens before the ability activates so that one is unusable. At worse we could simply rely on his end of turn draw and depending on Guises other cards we may be able to pull off the combo immediately.

Third we need a play. Once Guise has had the chance to get the perfect hand he needs a play in order to get Selling Out down and start the Combo. So basically the order is Perfect Draws -> Draw a Card -> Play a card. For this regular Guise is the best version to use. If Guise has Selling Out, Best Card Ever or Super Ultra Kawaii in his hand he can use his base power to play any of them which in turn lets him play a card after he draws a card (Super Ultra Kawaii and Selling Out give him a play after drawing at the end of his turn, Best Card Ever lets him both draw and play a card immediately). At worse if Guise has none of those he can use his end of turn draw to set up his hand and wait til his next turn where he absolutely has the right card to set up the combo.

Then once Selling Out triggers, on the first 2 plays of Selling Out, play Best Card Ever followed by Where Did I Leave That. Due to your perfect drawing you can draw back your other copies of both cards to prepare for your next play. On the third play of Selling Out play Best Card Ever and Retrocon -> Selling Out trick mentioned above in order to repeat the process. When done correctly, just as before, you will never run out of plays and you will draw more cards to offset the ones you play eventually allowing you to get your entire deck (if you want it, heck you could keep drawing and passing around plays til everyone had their entire deck) and pull off the infinite mentioned above.

And there you have it. A 1 or 2 turn win against nearly every enemy using FF Wraith and Guise conditional on Guise having a single card in his starting hand. While the combo is very involved what sets this combo apart from nearly every other infinite I know in the game is how little preparation it needs. Most other massive combos need many many multi turn preps involving the right combination of Ongoing/Equipment cards or even worse, the proper environment. Further this is the only infinite combo I can think of capable of being pulled off quite this reliably. Even if Guise does not start with I Can Do That, Too!, Wraith can help Guise hunt for it and once he has it they can go to town. Of course it would be an utter nightmare to do. You will likely draw hundreds if not thousands of cards as you pass the draw back and forth between Wraith and Guise to get the right cards back and I don’t know if the average person would find it “fun” but it’s still technically doable. Regardless I thought it was neat and wanted to share it with you guise .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the write-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised you don't mention Guise copying Parse's Ongoings through Uh,Yeah,I'm That Guy! while Parse has Critical Multiplier in play. Now in addition to setting up whatever hand you want you can also setup any amount of damage to deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Sonvar wrote:
I'm surprised you don't mention Guise copying Parse's Ongoings through Uh,Yeah,I'm That Guy! while Parse has Critical Multiplier in play. Now in addition to setting up whatever hand you want you can also setup any amount of damage to deal.

I'm a steam player (No IRL friends who like this game enough to regularly play it). If the character hasn't been implemented on steam it doesn't exist to me. I have however looked through all the Variants for characters that are implemented even if the Variants itself isn't on steam yet. I'll get to Parse Guise one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonvar wrote:

Neat. So this is actually much simpler. Set up the ideal draw situationlike allstar64 suggested, all you need after "I can do that, too!" is a draw & a play, after which you can drop the infinite damage buff on whatever hero can next do a poke of damage. The restriction is that Parse has to have a Critical Multiplier on the table, so you need two cards instead of one to set up the combo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you need Parse to have Critical Multiplier out and using Uh,Yeah,I'm That Guy copying her Ongoings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
kk I just took a look at what Critical Multiplier does (without looking at much else, I'm slightly anti-spoiler). While infinity plus infinity is still infinity that does indeed make it much much simpler and more functional (pretty sure you would have to draw play and discard close to 1000 cards without it). Cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

Minor note: Retrocon/Retcon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arenson9 wrote:
Cool.

Minor note: Retrocon/Retcon

Nope! Nobody noticed that! It's always been Retrocon. Just check the excellent and always up-to-date wiki with its talented editors:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.