Hide
10 Posts

Pandemic Iberia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yellow Fever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ka sT
msg tools
The special ability of the Yellow Fever is not exactly clear to me. Maybe someone can help here.

It states that "when a yellow cube is placed in a port city, you must place yellow a (sic!) cube in all adjacent port cities as well".

First of all, I assume that this ability is not in effect in the setup phase of the game. Is that correct?

If you take the above sentence literally, any cube placed due to this ability would trigger it again, creating a chain reaction through all port cities from Barcelona to Cadiz.

Therefore, it is the question, how yellow fever actually works. I would assume that only the directly adjacent port cities to the initially placed yellow cube are affected. This would also be consistent with the example on page 9 of the rulebook.

However, the interaction with occuring outbreaks is still not clear to me.

Let's use the following example: There is an outbreak in Tarragona resulting from drawing the Tarragona infection card with already thee cubes in the city. Because of that, cubes are placed in Terual, Valencia and Barcelona.
Will there be placed two cubes in Palma de Mallorca, one from the Yellow Fever from Valenca and Barcelona? Due to the placement of a Cube in Valencia, another Yellow Fever cube should be placed in Alicante.
Assuming there are already three yellow cubes in Alicante, this should trigger another outbreak, right? If yes, this would place new cubes in Cartagena and back in Valencia. Then due to Yellow Fever, cubes should be placed in Almeria, Palma de Mallorca and Tarragona, again. But then Tarragona would not have another outbreak, because it already had one resulting from the initial infection card. Correct?

Is this example correct or did I misinterpret anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JESUS TORRES CASTRO
Spain
CÓRDOBA
Andalucía
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Let's play with the Historical Diseases:
- The set up is not affected. But you can try it (for an even harder game), and if you are lucky you could start the game even with some outbreak before the first turn begins
- According to the Yellow Fever (YF) effect: You must do literally what the rules say, but of course the "new" YF-cubes don't create a chain reaction (Otherwise, the YF hability would be always somethig similar to place one cube in all the yellow port cities).
About your example: There is an outbreak in Tarragona resulting from drawing the Tarragona infection card with already 3 cubes in the city (and you don't place a new cube there). Outbreak: +1 cube is placed in Teruel, +1 in Valencia and +1 in Barcelona. Because of the outbreak cube in (coastal) Barcelona you place +1 YF-cube in Palma de Mallorca, and because of the outbreak cube in Valencia you place +1 YF-cube in Palma de Mallorca and +1 YF-cube in Alicante.
If there are already 3 yellow cubes in Alicante, this should trigger another outbreak: Place +1 cube in Cartagena and +1 in Valencia. Then, we have new coastal cubes, so the YF attacks again. From Cartagena: +1 YF-cube in Almeria. And from Valencia: +1 YF-cube in Palma de Mallorca. Hard situation on the board!
Tarragona already had an outbreak this turn, so it is not possible to have another there... for the moment.
- And about the Yellow Fever, there is a variant I would like to propose to you: Play with the Yellow Fever disease card but aply its effect to the cubes of all colors (Not only the yellow cubes). In this way, you have to keep an eye on all the coastal cities all the time, and you will need a very good coastal railroad network (or maybe the invaluable help of the Sailor in your team).
Be brave to save humanity, enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ka sT
msg tools
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. This confirms, that we were playing it right.

By the way, thank you for designing such a great game. We spent a lot of time to beat it on hardest difficulty with all four desease special abilities.

We will certainly try your proposed variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We understood the full above correctly, but weren't sure what to do with epidemics on the yellow disease - Every time you place a cube would seem to imply that you do the effect for all 3 cubes of an epidemic, which since we had 2 the first game using yellow fever decimated us.

The 2nd time we did the epidemics as just adding 1 cube to adjacent port cities which was far more reasonable (It still ripped us to pieces though).

I presume the latter is correct but the wording in the game didn't make this clear to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Nybo
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, is it correct to assume that this effect is not triggered by patients moving toward the hospital?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S
msg tools
JESSONSO wrote:

If there are already 3 yellow cubes in Alicante, this should trigger another outbreak: Place +1 cube in Cartagena and +1 in Valencia. Then, we have new coastal cubes, so the YF attacks again. From Cartagena: +1 YF-cube in Almeria. And from Valencia: +1 YF-cube in Palma de Mallorca. Hard situation on the board!

Following this logic, wouldn't the YF cube in Almeria trigger a yellow cube being added to Malaga, then to Gibraltar, then Cadiz and so on until every port city has been infected? Or does the rule only apply to yellow cities?

A literal interpretation of the rule would lead to instant loss the moment a yellow port city is infected. I think further clarification is needed:

- Does the rule only apply to yellow cities?

- Does the rule really intend that one city can get hit multiple times in the same infect step?

- A literal interpretation would also suggest that adjacent port cities would chain infect each other back and forth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheProdigal wrote:
JESSONSO wrote:

Following this logic, wouldn't the YF cube in Almeria trigger a yellow cube being added to Malaga, then to Gibraltar, then Cadiz and so on until every port city has been infected? Or does the rule only apply to yellow cities?

A literal interpretation of the rule would lead to instant loss the moment a yellow port city is infected. I think further clarification is needed:

- Does the rule only apply to yellow cities?

- Does the rule really intend that one city can get hit multiple times in the same infect step?

- A literal interpretation would also suggest that adjacent port cities would chain infect each other back and forth?

The rule specifies that it only applies once, so it doesn't chain along the coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S
msg tools
Smoothsmith wrote:

The rule specifies that it only applies once, so it doesn't chain along the coast.

I have searched the English rulebook and do not see where this is stated. Both the rulebook and the card text simply state: " When a yellow cube is placed in a port city, you must place a yellow cube in all adjacent port cities as well." Seems like an oversight.

But, rereading Jessonso's post, I think I might now have a grasp on their intention:

- Cities that become infected due to the drawing of an infection card (including the bottom card from an epidemic) infect adjacent port cities as well (but the chain stops there and these cities do not spread the disease unless they outbreak.)

- Cities that become infected after the spread from an outbreak will also infect adjacent port cities, but again, the chain stops there.

- The same port city can be infected more than once from this rule after a single infection card. For example, if Tarragona outbreaks, this causes both Barcelona and Valencia to be infected, which will result in two yellow cubes being added to Palma de Mallorca from this rule since Palma de Mallorca is adjacent to both Valencia and Barcelona.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Sam - I think my brain just took Jessonso's post as if it was from the rulebook, not sure why =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still like an official ruling for Chris' question above. If a yellow port is drawn from the bottom of the deck during an epidemic, do you add one cube to the neighbouring ports, or three? We settled on one for our first game, but we debated back and forth for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.