Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a player has formed their operations deck and placed it face down, the cards in the deck cannot be examined by anyone.

My question is can anyone look at the operations cards that have been played and turned over or would should they be discarded in a hidden pile after revealed. Also can the operations cards that are not chosen to be part of your deck be examined by anyone?

I believe the rules don't mention at all if the played cards can be looked at, but I feel it goes against the spirit of the rules and the game feel of command confusion. Since if you can look at your played cards you have a better idea of remembering what you played in your deck, and if others can look at your played cards then they can have a good idea if a certain column would be able to move again or not.
For example if I as FAPLA see that FNLA has played 2 column A cards then I would know that column A can no longer move and is not a threat.
I guess the question might be more of do you penalize someone for having a bad memory or is that all part of the game?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played you can examine already played cards, but NOT discarded ones that were not used. Half the drama/excitement is not knowing whether a column will move or not - looking at the discards would be too telling. When we're done planning our hand, we just put the discards face down in a pile off to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rule book says: "Once a player has set his Operations Pack for the turn, no one—including the owning player—can examine the Operations Pack. The cards are turned over and revealed one at a time as play proceeds." Nothing is stated about what you should do or not after each card is revealed.

d10-1In my opinion, you should put the revealed cards face up and anyone can check them. I don't see anything wrong if you ask your fellow gamer to let you see the last card he played... because you went to the washroom or you were just too far, thinking about the immortality of crabs. Somebody could grab a sheet of paper and a pen to note every card played by his opponents and allies, and it would be completely legal.

d10-2 Nevertheless, historically it makes sense to hide the cards already played. The first months of Angola's civil war were particularly chaotic. Nobody knew who was winning and what will happen the next day, even in Luanda. I read a book about those days written by the Polish journalist Ryszard Kapuściński. FAPLA, for example, had just a bunch of green soldiers in the South just before South Africa invaded the country.

So, you can make it a house rule and thicken the chaos, the fog of war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.