Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: A few comments after 5 plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

After playing Captain Sonar once and moderating the game twice in Turn Based mode and twice in Real-Time mode I have a few comments / suggestions.  All games were played with the full compliment of 8 players.

Please note, this is only my observations after a couple plays so those who have much more experience with the game can feel free to chime in.


1) Once a submarine has been hit with a Torpedo the assaulting submarine crew only needs to make three quick movements (using the base map scenario) before firing a second killing blow.  The movements of the sub under fire are automatically trackable.  The only way to escape is to have their Silence system active and ready.  Perhaps there should be a new system which allows a sub which has suffered a direct hit a non-communicated evasive manouvre?  It would make the hunt portion of this end game a bit more lively. Perhaps the expense for this action could be two nuclear symbols to be crossed off on the evading sub.

2) This has been stated in other reviews, but the Captain's definitely need to provide clear and loud movement directions for the other Radio Operator to decipher things correctly.  We used the terminology: "Crew Move (direction) now".  It helped a lot.

3) To make the game a bit more challenging if a sub surfaces they can only repair the Internal Circuits or the Reactor not both.

4) We occasionally found a Captain would stop the game to launch a system and then the engineer or first mate would indicate the system was not available.  As a penalty for that we made a rule as follows:  If the game is stopped for a system activation and it wasn't available due to engineering or the first mate functions the submarine would immediately suffer a nuclear reactor malfunction.  The engineer must cross out one nuclear symbol as a penalty.

5) To increase the function of the First Mate position and give it a bit more meaning the green system tasks of launching a drone or activating a sonar can only be initiated by the First Mate.

6) The markers in the game are terrible. At least 3 didn't work or worked intermittently out of the box and this was frustrating.

7) The plastic overlays were two different types. One had a protective film which needed to be removed and the other didn't. Both were different sizes and this led me to question if something was missing.

8) I wish there would be some sort of additional destruction when the sub received damage for any reason ( mines, torpedos or internal from poor crew co-ordination).

Hope these suggestions help spur further creation on this intriguing game.

Cheers,
Michael
7 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Becker wrote:
4) We occasionally found a Captain would stop the game to launch a system and then the engineer or first mate would indicate the system was not available.  As a penalty for that we made a rule as follows:  If the game is stopped for a system activation and it wasn't available due to engineering or the first mate functions the submarine would immediately suffer a nuclear reactor malfunction.  The engineer must cross out one nuclear symbol as a penalty.
We do something similar but simpler: The system still gets used (hash marks erased) but nothing happens.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I like this variant, because it requires better coordination, as mistakes have consequences.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Michael Becker wrote:
2) This has been stated in other reviews, but the Captain's definitely need to provide clear and loud movement directions for the other Radio Operator to decipher things correctly.  We used the terminology: "Crew Move (direction) now".  It helped a lot.

The rulebook already covers this. The Captain is always supposed to preface his announced course changes with the command, "HEAD". Such as, "HEAD North". Or "HEAD East". (Reference: Page 2, rulebook)

But I think what you're getting at is that even sometimes this might be hard for the Radio Operator to pick out of all the other chatter, so we simply changed "Head" to, "Heading". Adding the "ing" helps a lot, believe it or not, and has worked for us since!

I like all your other ideas... though as a data point, I haven't heard anyone else say they got two different sizes of plastic overlay in their boxes. That's odd!

2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Becker wrote:
1) Once a submarine has been hit with a Torpedo the assaulting submarine crew only needs to make three quick movements (using the base map scenario) before firing a second killing blow.  The movements of the sub under fire are automatically trackable.  The only way to escape is to have their Silence system active and ready.


Three quick movements... that don't leave the enemy sub out of range and don't cross the path that got you to where you are and don't bring down the weapons systems. On an enemy that doesn't have Silence ready even though their enemy was closing in. I think if you manage to put all those ingredients together, it's okay that you win, because you're outplaying the other sub!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
Michael Becker wrote:
4) We occasionally found a Captain would stop the game to launch a system and then the engineer or first mate would indicate the system was not available.  As a penalty for that we made a rule as follows:  If the game is stopped for a system activation and it wasn't available due to engineering or the first mate functions the submarine would immediately suffer a nuclear reactor malfunction.  The engineer must cross out one nuclear symbol as a penalty.
We do something similar but simpler: The system still gets used (hash marks erased) but nothing happens.


HUUUUGE! Great solution! TY!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.