Popular Tags: [View All]
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went out to my local game night last night and had a chance to try two games of Black Orchestra.

Game 1 we were learning rules and getting our head around strategy. It was tense and fun and we missed killing hitler on the final turn by one dice!

We all immediately wanted to give it another go. This time we protected our cards better, stayed out of jail more and clicked as a team. We managed to derail Hitler's train on stage 6!

This game really worked. Loved the tension. Loved how you had to line up your motivation, suspicion, and Hitler's position all to get one good shot at him.

The mechanics of the game really worked to give you the feeling of scrambling, plotting, and heartbreak if you missed a shot at a plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in this game, but would you say it may be too easy? With your first play coming down to the last turn with a good shot at winning, and your second game being a victory, would you say Black Orchestra is not tension-filled enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Moorehead
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen 4 wins out of 8 plays, mostly with 5 players. Very tension-filled game. It is a co-op in every sense of the word, as too many plots and no focus can end the game quickly. BTW, do not meet at Gestapo HQ to conspire!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
I've been interested in this game, but would you say it may be too easy? With your first play coming down to the last turn with a good shot at winning, and your second game being a victory, would you say Black Orchestra is not tension-filled enough?

We were 5 experienced players and playing on easy. Even the win I don't feel was easy it felt tense and like we got by just by the skin of our teeth. Next time i would start on standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice in one evening, first with five then with four,both times on easy. The first time, we all ended up in jail (and, of course, lost). The second time we managed to derail Hitler's train in phase 3 and won, thought we still found it to be quite a challenge.

I'm not sure how it'll be for replayability - I think it's one of those games you don't want to bring out too often or it'll get stale - but I'm looking forward to playing it again, perhaps with the variant where you have to kill two deputies in addition to Hitler himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice and it was a blast, but I agree that it's one of those games that will have more legs if you stretch it out between plays. Love the theme and the mechanics to back up that theme. And there was plenty of tension right up to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulus Borgia
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
We've played about 8 times and won only once or twice as I recall. We've gotten close a number of times, and we've had a few games where we were haplessly far from winning. That sounds to me about right. We've played with different numbers from 3-5. I will say that the advantage of 5 is that you have lots of plots going with lots of conspirators around to pick up and share essential items. The problem there is the deck moves ever more quickly toward the end of the war and your shot at winning. With fewer players, you'll slow down the pace, but you'll have trouble accumulating everything you need for more than one or two plots with a decent or high probability of success. My best advice overall is to focus on keeping Hitler's military support down. No plot will be likely to work, however well equipped, if that is even at a moderately high level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulus Borgia
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Building on my post above, I also highly recommend the option of including two deputy kills in the victory conditions along with getting Hitler himself. This was great fun, and it easily addresses any group that finds itself winning too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.