Subject: Why Albufeira? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is being a little picky but, being a portuguese, having Albufeira, a little insignificant fishing village at the time, in the game, instead of Faro, the district capital, is a very weird choice.

Even today, the hospital is in Faro! There is no hospital in Albufeira. Albufeira grew in the 1960s because of turism and it is well know because of it, nothing else. It had 0 importance at the period this game portrays.

Why is that?
Is it intended? why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the game author's SO comes from Albufaira, that's why

Or maybe s/he spent holidays there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Costa
Portugal
Carcavelos
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agree. Doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:

He is born in Córdoba it seems.
The holiday guess could be correct though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
AlexFS wrote:

It's probably not super clear but in the above SO = significant other. A persons wife or husband. I think Spukky is saying that the game designers wife comes from Albufeira which is why it is on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Spukky wrote:
AlexFS wrote:

It's probably not super clear but in the above SO = significant other. A persons wife or husband. I think Spukky is saying that the game designers wife comes from Albufeira which is why it is on the map.

Ah didn't see the SO.
My comment was on the designer himself.

But his wife coming from Albufaira makes sense in explaining it on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:

Now I feel a bit guilty blush : the SO's origin thingy is entirely speculative.

In Pandemic the Essen town appears in a global map, even though a minority of the world's non-gamers will recognize the name. It's clearly a gamer's reference to Essen's Spiel.

Maybe it's the same thing for Albufeira, some inside joke or reference.

But now that we have extensively belabored this point, I'm also curious as to why Albufeira, and demand that the author explains himself on this account
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I even suggest an hypothesis : perhaps Faro is too close to Huelva, and the author chose to pick up a town further to the west, so that the map stays readable.

He could have used an arrow, but that would complicate a bit further an already busy map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Spukky wrote:

Now I feel a bit guilty blush : the SO's origin thingy is entirely speculative.

In Pandemic the Essen town appears in a global map, even though a minority of the world's non-gamers will recognize the name. It's clearly a gamer's reference to Essen's Spiel.

Maybe it's the same thing for Albufeira, some inside joke or reference.

But now that we have extensively belabored this point, I'm also curious as to why Albufeira, and demand that the author explains himself on this account

While I entirely agree that Essen is placed on the Pandemic map due to Essen Speiltag, it's worth noting that Essen is Germany's 9th largest city.

But of course, Köln (Cologne), Düsseldorf, and Dortmund are all bigger and are all also in North Rhine-Westphalia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:

While I entirely agree that Essen is placed on the Pandemic map due to Essen Speiltag, it's worth noting that Essen is Germany's 9th largest city.

But of course, Köln (Cologne), Düsseldorf, and Dortmund are all bigger and are all also in North Rhine-Westphalia.

That's what I mean, on a global scale lay people don't care and have never heard about Essen. It's not a particularly remarkable city in terms of history, culture, etc.

Here are some 9th most populous cities of different countries, let me know if they ring a bell:

Changwon (S. Korea), Brampton (Canada), Monterrey (Mexico), Tembisa (S. Africa), Xi'an (China), Chelyabinsk (Russia), etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

The decision to put Albufeira on the map has put Albufeira on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

That's what I mean, on a global scale lay people don't care and have never heard about Essen. It's not a particularly remarkable city in terms of history, culture, etc.

Here are some 9th most populous cities of different countries, let me know if they ring a bell:

Changwon (S. Korea), Brampton (Canada), Monterrey (Mexico), Tembisa (S. Africa), Xi'an (China), Chelyabinsk (Russia), etc...

Or to give a US example... since each state in the US could be considered the size of a European country, the 9th most populous city of a given state.
Texas, for example: Plano.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
AlexFS wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

Or to give a US example... since each state in the US could be considered the size of a European country, the 9th most populous city of a given state.

I hear they make terrific tackle boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

Uh. Yeah... I was agreeing with you.

My point was the nuance that at least in Essen's case, it is a major city. It doesn't appear as though Albufeira has even that going for it, so it makes it's inclusion even more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It's not a particularly remarkable city in terms of history, culture, etc.

Aldi started there. Actually, the history of the Albrecht brothers who started the chain makes interesting reading. Kidnapping, quadruplets, and a family feud over selling cigarettes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
AlexFS wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

Don't you mean game component organizers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
AlexFS wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

Don't you mean game component organizers?

Heh...yeah, I had a good 2 minute debate with myself before deciding upon what to call them. I went with traditional and ironic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Costa
Portugal
flag msg tools
AlexFS wrote:
And I even suggest an hypothesis : perhaps Faro is too close to Huelva, and the author chose to pick up a town further to the west, so that the map stays readable.

He could have used an arrow, but that would complicate a bit further an already busy map.

If that was the case, Lagos or Sagres, would be a much better option. To me its just bad homework, albufeira is know today, just because of the turism, back in that time it was just an insignificant village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the designer, and he said it was chosen as a "thank you" to someone who helped with the production of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes for a good story, and kudos for the OP for pointing it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm not saying that's a convenient escuse now that the game is out but ok...
Unfortunatly it's enough for me to not wanting to buy the game. Ruins the theme for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GusG4Real wrote:
Well I'm not saying that's a convenient escuse now that the game is out but ok...
Unfortunatly it's enough for me to not wanting to buy the game. Ruins the theme for me.

That is unfortunate. And probably a little bit insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
GusG4Real wrote:

That is unfortunate. And probably a little bit insane.

Seriously. I think it's kind of cool to have off the beaten path cities.

Like Essen has no right to be in a lot of games and yet there it is.

For game play the city names don't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the game is positing that in the mid 1800s, Faro never got hit big by outbreaks (maybe because they had that famous hospital) but Albufeira did. Not unreasonable IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote something about it in this thread as soon as the first video appear online. https://youtu.be/tG0uTH6M700

There is also some comments about the same topic on it. Seems the publisher didn't mind in been inacurate in historical terms.
And Albufeira is now most know within the toursts. It sells better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.