Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever played with a rule such as this?

When any number of retreats is rolled when attacking an elephant, the elephant's player rolls five dice. If any of them come up red, the player may sacrifice the elephant unit instead of following the normal rampage and retreat procedure. The opponent gets a flag for the sacrificed elephant unit as if they had eliminated it.

This mimics that many of the elephant troops had hammer and chisels and/or poison to kill the elephants and prevent such rampages. The roll (corresponding to roughly 60% success) is to represent that they weren't always successful at stopping them (thrashing about, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! In Chandragupta you roll on the d10 to see if the elephant's riders can stop the elephant before the rampage occurs / continues:

Quote:
0: the Elephant heads in the direction of the nearest friendly
unit.

1–6: the Elephant heads in the direction indicated on the Compass
on the map, an example of which is given below. Note that
geographical direction is represented at the vertex; the direction
in which the elephant is to rampage is by hexside.

7–9: the Elephant’s mahout has been successful in stopping the
rampage by driving a wedge into the beast’s brain; the unit is
eliminated.

So my feedback would be possibly that 60% may be a bit high given how other designers have modeled that occurrance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think that the rampage roll covers this.

Those times when nothing gets stomped are the times the controllers have stopped the elephant.

Phill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freeloading Phill wrote:

Those times when nothing gets stomped are the times the controllers have stopped the elephant.

Phill

Yup. It's simple and it creates the range of outcomes you'd expect. Not sure it's worth adding even a tiny bit of extra complexity to the process; the outcome would be unlikely to change. Unless you feel that the rampage rules as currently written are too damaging vs. what might historically have been the case; but in that case you're better off modifying the existing rampage die rolls/rules rather than introducing another rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Freeloading Phill wrote:

Phill

Yup. It's simple and it creates the range of outcomes you'd expect. Not sure it's worth adding even a tiny bit of extra complexity to the process; the outcome would be unlikely to change. Unless you feel that the rampage rules as currently written are too damaging vs. what might historically have been the case; but in that case you're better off modifying the existing rampage die rolls/rules rather than introducing another rule.

Agreed, especially since the elephant rules are already the most complex part of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Elephants and "lone Leaders' have more rules questions than anything else.

I think part of the "Joy" of elephants is the potential of self-damage. On the scale of the game, I think adding another die roll that-- if 'lucky'-- snuffs out the joy is not something I would add.

I'm going to guess the OP has not played a lot and, on "meeting" this rule, feels like something is out of whack. That happens a lot in the early games, but after awhile, most start to see things even out and blend nicely. I don't know how many newcomers assume something is 'wrong' because there are no "flank bonuses." I've seen people post their "fixes" to the "lack" of flank bonuses before they play their first game, because they just KNOW that an ancients game MUST have flank bonuses.

Except this one does not and does not need any. Having units on your flank is a bad thing-- it works out seamlessly. The Elephants have a lot of complex rules. Sometimes they can really be scenario busters FOR their owners and sometimes they're a pain in the behind to have on your side.
As they should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.