Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bonus Quest, End Game Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished the bonus quest (labeled B), but we had some questions.

Part 1.
"Use Pillar"

Q1: No stamina cost is given to activate the Pillar. We played 3 Stamina, because many other actions cost 3 points. But a few special actions on cards do not cost stamina, so it could be zero!

Part 2.
"Setup. Activate chapter space: move up to 6 spaces."

Q2: I do not think this statement is limited to the setup steps or setup phase, however you want to phrase it. I think it is the definition of the ongoing effect that happens if you activate a chapter space. Is that right?
Q3: I assume that is a normal move, so you can't teleport through monsters, etc. (The board is crowded, moving 6 is hard.)
Q4: I am worried I missed something. To activate the chapter space, you spend 3 Stamina & 3 Essence; you gain 6 moves. It's a bit like converting 3S+3E into 6S used for moves. But I can't see much advantage in that, because you are very short of essence in this end chapter and the board is crowded, so it can be hard to move. I am not complaining that reward is poor; I am just worried that I missed something.

Pillar Section of the card.
Q5: This section gives you two separate actions, right? Not one giant one. You either gain essence and teleport (etc) or open an gate and deal damage (etc). Not both.
Q6: Again, for these two actions, we need to know the stamina cost. Is it zero or some real cost? We played 3S.

Start of Round Section.
What does the "otherwise" apply to? Roll of 1-6, explorers off the traps lose 1 health? Or Roll of 7-10 and no explorers are on the trap, then all explorers off the traps lose 1 health? (We played the latter.)

Fun quest. We started with 4 explorers, lost 3 at the very end and won with a simple explorer left with 1 essence and 1 health. Very close!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
Part 1.
"Use Pillar"

Q1: No stamina cost is given to activate the Pillar. We played 3 Stamina, because many other actions cost 3 points. But a few special actions on cards do not cost stamina, so it could be zero!

Manual page - 13, Use a specific space: To achieve a quest's condition, the explorers must use an adjacent, specific space for 3 stamina. When a quest's condition is achieved, if it is a standard space, place an explored token on top of it (ignore if it is an endgame space).
A: You played correctly.

AGN1964 wrote:
Part 2.
"Setup. Activate chapter space: move up to 6 spaces."

Q2: I do not think this statement is limited to the setup steps or setup phase, however you want to phrase it. I think it is the definition of the ongoing effect that happens if you activate a chapter space. Is that right?

A: Correct, this is an ability of the chapter space that explorers can use to potentially gain 3 stamina (cost of 3 for using, plus 6 for moving). I say potentially because after using chapter space you immediately have to move up to 6 spaces (this doesn't restore your stamina).

AGN1964 wrote:
Q3: I assume that is a normal move, so you can't teleport through monsters, etc. (The board is crowded, moving 6 is hard.)

A: Correct.

AGN1964 wrote:
Q4: I am worried I missed something. To activate the chapter space, you spend 3 Stamina & 3 Essence; you gain 6 moves. It's a bit like converting 3S+3E into 6S used for moves. But I can't see much advantage in that, because you are very short of essence in this end chapter and the board is crowded, so it can be hard to move. I am not complaining that reward is poor; I am just worried that I missed something.

A: The idea behind this ability was to give you the possibility to use chapter space for a maneuver inside a tile. As you have correctly explained it, it's not much (3S+3E=6S) but there could be a situation where that conversion of essence to stamina gives you the needed edge.

AGN1964 wrote:
Pillar Section of the card.
Q5: This section gives you two separate actions, right? Not one giant one. You either gain essence and teleport (etc) or open an gate and deal damage (etc). Not both.

A: Correct. It's just another ability that you can choose to play.

AGN1964 wrote:
Q6: Again, for these two actions, we need to know the stamina cost. Is it zero or some real cost? We played 3S.

A: Correct (answer for Q1).

AGN1964 wrote:
Start of Round Section.
Q7: What does the "otherwise" apply to? Roll of 1-6, explorers off the traps lose 1 health? Or Roll of 7-10 and no explorers are on the trap, then all explorers off the traps lose 1 health? (We played the latter.)

A: Manual page - 16, Ability roll: Sometimes when an ability is played, a unit must roll the game die, and based on the ability roll, a different effect will be resolved. If the 'otherwise' clause is present, then the other effect will be resolved if the ability roll is lower than the specified number.
Roll 1 - 6: Explorers not on trapped spaces lose 1 health.
Roll 7 - 10: Explorers on trapped spaces lose 1 health.
"other" implies explorers off the traps
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Quote:
Manual page - 13, Use a specific space: To achieve a quest's condition, the explorers must use an adjacent, specific space for 3 stamina. When a quest's condition is achieved, if it is a standard space, place an explored token on top of it (ignore if it is an endgame space).


I keep missing rules that are in the book. Sorry!

Quote:
Roll 1 - 6: Explorers not on trapped spaces lose 1 health.
Roll 7 - 10: Explorers on trapped spaces lose 1 health.

This is how I read it. We played it this way for the first turn, then the other players overrules my interpretation.

I think we might have lost this Scenario if we took all this damage. Well, we'll just have to play it again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
I keep missing rules that are in the book. Sorry!

If you keep missing rules that are in the book, maybe the problem is with the book itself.

AGN1964 wrote:
Roll 1 - 6: Explorers not on trapped spaces lose 1 health.
Roll 7 - 10: Explorers on trapped spaces lose 1 health.
This is how I read it. We played it this way for the first turn, then the other players overrules my interpretation.
I think we might have lost this Scenario if we took all this damage. Well, we'll just have to play it again!

Good luck! But beware, this is an extremely difficult endgame so you really do need a combination of preparation, strategy, and luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.