Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have some questions about upgrading my heroes.

I understand that you gain cards and items from modules
But often it is written that defeating a boss will also give you smth.

How exactly does this work?
Where are the rules what a boss kill will give me?

Is killing a boss the only way of getting a title?
When can I manipulate my deck?
When are things added to the treasure bag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IN 1.0 there were story quests comprised of 3 acts.

complete all 3 acts and you would receive a reward either
1) a title which grants some benefit (and allows you to keep one gear) or
2) you can switch out a card from your deck with the green flame card

This idea has been shifted into "modules" for 2.0 of which Rise of the revenant is a good example.

The main difference is that in 1.0 YOU decided much of what was going on in the tiles you explored. In 2.0 everything is set out for you. (much better in my opinion).

For the new JM stuff it is recommended you have 2 titles and I forgot how many card upgrades. The problem is that the base game story quests have not yet been re-released as modules.

some stories quests have boss fights, many do not... hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:
The problem is that the base game story quests have not yet been re-released as modules.

Last I heard, those stories were being released as modules in the end of year Patch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p. 29 of the 2.0 rules has some info:
Quote:

Through questing it is possible to encounter bosses. If the players defeat a boss while adventuring the group receives 1 random blue item from the item deck. In addition, each hero earns one of the corresponding titles listed in the table shown here, or each hero may manipulate 1 card in their hero deck.

It also has a table that lists which titles Terror with 1000 Legs, Orcneas, Bones, The Rat King and Ia give you. And a paragraph on Hero Deck Manipulation.

You also modify your treasure bag when you do quests (maybe there are other ways, too, but that's what I know). Quest cards sometimes tell you to add a blue treasure token to your treasure bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:
The problem is that the base game story quests have not yet been re-released as modules.

Last I heard, those stories were being released as modules in the end of year Patch.

Based on the last megacon news video we had, I'm pretty sure Brian refers to it as "Story" I would not expect all of them. Expect one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
js379 wrote:
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

Based on the last megacon news video we had, I'm pretty sure Brian refers to it as "Story" I would not expect all of them. Expect one.

Yeah, Bryan has specified a few times that they ended up deciding just to do one. Kenny was the one before that who was saying that they were doing multiples so I guess he got overruled.

Thanks guys! I had remembered Kenny's commitment on getting them all done in the patch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
js379 wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
js379 wrote:
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

Yeah, Bryan has specified a few times that they ended up deciding just to do one. Kenny was the one before that who was saying that they were doing multiples so I guess he got overruled.

Thanks guys! I had remembered Kenny's commitment on getting them all done in the patch.

You are not incorrect, MM. He definitely did say that at one point.

Yeah, I remember thinking people would have all the 1.0 manual stories turned into Modules for the new year. I thought it might ease the sting of waiting an undetermined time for the rest of JM to be delivered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian mentioned in one of their news videos that the converted module in the upcoming patch would be "The Stone of Life" from the 1.0 book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, one of the wonderful things about Myth is how you can create your own adventures and play them out (like playing an RPG without a game master).

AND, even just the base game comes with a quest deck, and a trap deck (with the 2.0 updated cards) that you can use to put together a series of tiles to play for an adventure, and/or you can follow a quest chain to its completion, AND one of the (replayable) quest chains even ends in a boss fight so you can get a title (which lets you keep an item) or a deck manipulation for your heroes. Or you can just add a boss to a tile whenever you think your party is ready, using your imagination to tell the story as you go along.

I really don't understand why so many people refuse to play until they can have pre-made story quests with everything laid out for them. And even though there are a couple available for download, that still doesn't satisfy them. So, we get some more in the expansions, but that's still apparently no good for these people because the story quests, when finished, are done.

Well, yeah, and that's why playing Myth in Adventure mode is so great: it's never done until you say it is. You can play just about anything you can dream up, yet, there is a game system for using the heroes, monsters, tiles, items, and doing tactical battle.

Just play, people! Set up a tile with a quest and/or a trap and some monsters and just play! *

* But first read the rulebook. As Kathrin noted above, page 29 of the 2.0 rulebook explains how to get titles/deck manipulations while adventuring, among other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I really don't understand why so many people refuse to play until they can have pre-made story quests with everything laid out for them. And even though there are a couple available for download, that still doesn't satisfy them. So, we get some more in the expansions, but that's still apparently no good for these people because the story quests, when finished, are done.

While I broadly agree with you about questing, part of the problem is that the game in its present form is straddling two versions. They've said that modules will "replace" story mode, but the 2.0 rulebook talks about both story quests and modules. Then there's the unavailability to new players of the 1.0 story quests. These would both be fine if it was clearer how you were 'meant' to encounter bosses. There are several ways to do that, some of which feel satisfying (the quest chain that does it, capturing a commander) and some of which feel like cheating (just choosing a Journeyman tile with a boss icon, just deciding to face a boss because 'sandbox').

I think what people are worried about is structure. Sometimes the game gives it, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it's easy to feel like you're playing it wrong. The story quests and modules offer structure, but they're in a transitional state and seem incompatible at first blush (even though they aren't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.