Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » Variants

Subject: Realistic Combat Strength of Aliens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
Many gamers complain that the Aliens are far to weak in AVP: THB since in all the movies etc. they appear to be much stronger. In general, I agree since the cc strength of an infant warrior has a rating of 10 which doesn't seem very high.

However, this leads us to the basic question: How strong should the Infant Warriors should be to match up to the beasts you see in the movies?

Here is the answer: It should be exactly 14.

How do I know it? Well, when in the movies, novels, ect. an alien is attacking an armoured Marine, its chances to kill the Marine instantly are about 66% (ok, there are also many interstages like light wounds, serious wounds, etc, but I didn't consider them in my calculation since the game system doesn't differentiate it either).

When using the original rules and the strenght of 10, the chances of an Infant Warrior to kill a Marine (taking into account the RoA of 2) are about 46 %. But if you raise the Infant Warrior's strenght to 14, you'll get the hit probability of 66%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure how you calculated your k/d ratio, as it is next to impossible to do that with a fictional franchise unless the creator flat out tells you the stats. Aliens have never just torn a man in half in a direct attack: they use surprise and numbers (not shear strength, thats the Predator's thing).

Remember, in Aliens (the only movie with USCM) the aliens are not infants: they are Warriors. Further, the battle is heavily pitched in favor of the aliens (think infested tile bonus). That alone should account for greater lethality you seek to have represented. Also, you neglected to account for Paroxism.

Infants are not tanks, they are fodder to be used in a numbers game. Movie example: How many aliens did Hudson kill before they pulled the floor out from under him? Would that have worked if he wasn't distracted by the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougisitosan wrote:
How many aliens did Hudson kill before they pulled the floor out from under him? Would that have worked if he wasn't distracted by the others?

At least 4, minimum. What has been shown to the audience anyway. =)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40U82Ty3WBw (jump to 1:24)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
Yes, I am aware that the Aliens seen in "Aliens 2" are warriors. However, I am still convinced that even an infant warrior seen in "Alien" could be able to eliminate a marine with one single attack in most cases. And here the problem starts: as you pointed out, a warrior should be able to do so without the need to roll a dice. This would be unsuitable for a game about combat and would lead to a completely different game.

All in all, I don't want to propose changing the strength in the original game; my calculation is just a consideration which strenght an infant warrior should have "realistically" ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What you are suggesting is that the weakest alien unit should be as strong as the strongest Predator unit.

What I am suggesting is that lethality is not simply a measure of strength. Different factors play into any given encounter (skill of attacker, number of attacks, weapon(s) used, type of terrain, armor of defender, and yes, strength). Also, you have given no direct justification for how you arrived at 66% as realistic.

Here is how the math breaks out for an infant under 2.0:
[CC skill 15: 75%]*[Strength 10 vs Armor 13: 35%]= 26% This is your probability of killing a marine with a single claw attack
2 attacks = 2[26%]-[26%^2]= 45.24% This is your probability of killing a marine with one action
[CC skill 15: 75%]*[Strength 11 vs Armor 13: 40%]= 30% This is your probability of killing a marine with a single tail strike
[45.24%+30]-[45.24%*30%]= 61.67% This is your probability of killing a marine with two actions, using Paroxysm

By discounting the new Paroxysm action, you overlook a critical change to the rules that adds the lethality you desire. It also doesn't hurt that Paroxysm is an "instant kill" type attack.

EDIT: I forgot to account for a powershot in my calculations. This would bump up the above probabilities slightly by removing the defense roll (a true "instant kill").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.