Subject: Buildings and how helpful you found them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the 20 different buildings, which ones did you find helpful, or a waste?

Amongst the 1-buildings, I found 2a and 3a+b to be my preferred ones (never had a game with 2b so far though). Placing 3a or 3b just before a useful neutral building (e.g. A/B/F) gives me one speed and a little extra without taking a turn. 2a is really great to increase the chance for good cattle.

I've seen 4b being used quite annoyingly (for the other players, including me yuk) at a choking point just before neutral building F, so the owner (who played a cowboy strategy) could get nicer cards (including e.g. a black cattle) while us others lost two dollars which often would have made the difference between affording a 4-/5-cattle, or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had 3a followed by 1a, both in the trees. Later I added two more buildings in other treed locations. At that point I could discard a pair of cows, collect $3 and immediately move forward to collect another $4 to $8. That's a nice little income engine.

Another time I put building 8a before building 7a, so that I could collect teepees and then turn them into cash and certificates. That worked pretty well.

Finally, by aggressively hiring craftsmen (including at building 5a) and using the discounted building action under craftsman 4 and 6, I was able to build 10a before my fourth trip to KC. I put it just before the last neutral building. That way, if my hand was good when I got there, I could max my certificates and immediately advance to KC. If my cards were not good enough, I could max my certificates and then stop at the next building to cycle cards through my hand. That led to some very good deliveries.

We haven't even tried the B-buildings yet, but I hope to do so soon. This game is so much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
[..] I was able to build 10a before my fourth trip to KC. I put it just before the last neutral building. That way, if my hand was good when I got there, I could max my certificates and immediately advance to KC. [..]
Somehow I seem to remember using the free extra steps is not allowed to enter KC. Am I confusing things or just plain wrong?
- Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:
[..] I was able to build 10a before my fourth trip to KC. I put it just before the last neutral building. That way, if my hand was good when I got there, I could max my certificates and immediately advance to KC. [..]
Somehow I seem to remember using the free extra steps is not allowed to enter KC. Am I confusing things or just plain wrong?
- Thanks!
The rules say "On the location where you stop, you must
then perform once more all of phase B." Reaching Kansas City is one way to spend phase B, so yes, you can go there and make a normal delivery. Note however that you cannot draw new cards (in case you discarded/played cards), so it's unwise to place e.g. building 3a just before KC: if you use the 3a action to collect money, you won't be able to replace the cards before you enter KC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Davies
Netherlands
Enschede
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:
- Thanks!

Already answered by Robert, but you are confusing with the 'immediate action' on the goal cards which let you step up to 3 steps without paying any hands. With that option you may not end in Kansas (due to the fact you may not use any action - local or auxiliary - at all where you stop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1a and 7b in 2p games are great. Also helps if your opponent is not exploring the building focused strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about 6a ?
It seems that discarding for +10 is a big deal !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
What about 6a ?
I've not seen that one put into action. It only works for yellow cows (which are the least desirable due to their value of just one point), and to have a decent chance to arrive on 6a with a yellow cow, you better have two or even three in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For low level buildings, I also like 2a and 3a+b.

I had a very effective Train game where I used 5a, and then eventually upgraded that to 7a. 7a was particularly useful for getting to San Francisco twice while doing a Train strategy. IMO the tricky part of a train strategy is figuring out how to still get decent deliveries.

I'd be curious to see someone effectively use 1b. It seems very situational..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An early tollbooth (building with a hand) in a heavily traveled area can be invaluable, so 1a and 1b are good choices for first build. 2a is pretty phenomenal though, and its presence in a game or lack thereof can really change the game's complexion. Being able to buy cattle twice in one trip is huge and makes cowboys more valuable.

4a can also change the game. Without it, you can't really rely on many hazards to be cleared, which of course has a great effect on where you want to place your buildings and also devalues objective cards requiring hazard tiles.

9a can get you a lot of points, even if you just use it once.

There are still a lot of buildings I have little to no experience with after my 5 plays of the game. I look forward to trying to make them all work at some point. Except 2b. 2b is stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CurlyJefferson wrote:
I look forward to trying to make them all work at some point. Except 2b. 2b is stupid.

2b ? Why stupid ?
- discard 1 gray for +1 train
- discard 1 green for 2$
A great way to discard 2 card ( especially the 1 cow) with interesting earning. Used once i found it great

4b used once, it seem quite too strong with cowboy strategy
- take and discard as much as cowboy : easy way to get quickly a good hand
- 3 step : with the great hand, go straigh away to KAnsas city for delivery . Seem we can make all the trip in 2-3 turn.
- a black hand

All first buildinds are interesting , the last have great power , but i'm not convinced by the middle one (6-7-8). They look very situational and with power not as much interesting as their cost (regarding the buildings 1-2) . It seem to me that, except some particular situation, their purpose are mainly to be upgrade to the strong 9-10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2b looks very situational to me, as having both a grey and a green cattle in hand isn't very likely. So you build a building and hope for a lucky draw when going near. It could make sense to build it not too far behind where you are now (and build the building), assuming you happen to have both cattle in hand and plan to go there right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
2b looks very situational to me, as having both a grey and a green cattle in hand isn't very likely. So you build a building and hope for a lucky draw when going near. It could make sense to build it not too far behind where you are now (and build the building), assuming you happen to have both cattle in hand and plan to go there right away.

indeed, having good card is the problem, so :
- 1 : there are 5 in deck, not so difficult to have
- 2 green : for this, i built this 2b far from neutral building B which need too a 2 green card. More luck to have the good card a the right moment. And it work fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ocelau wrote:
CurlyJefferson wrote:
I look forward to trying to make them all work at some point. Except 2b. 2b is stupid.

2b ? Why stupid ?
- discard 1 green for 2$
A great way to discard 2 card ( especially the 1 cow) with interesting earning. Used once i found it great

To me, one train movement and $3 just isn't worth spending an action on. Ideally you have better ways than that to get rid of cards. Compare it to 2a, which not only gets you an extra dollar for your discard but also lets you visit the cattle market, an extremely valuable action. 2b is not even in the same league as 2a in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
fdubois wrote:
What about 6a ?
I've not seen that one put into action. It only works for yellow cows (which are the least desirable due to their value of just one point), and to have a decent chance to arrive on 6a with a yellow cow, you better have two or even three in your deck.

I made that tile work in one game.
had 2 Builders, and overbuilt once to get the building. Other workers were all Cowboys.
Got rid of all of my grey cows with the last small action. So when the yellow building hit the floor I had very few cows in rotation and a really high chance of having one of my yellows when reaching this building.
My next building down the line was 2a so I could spend that money on some new cows.
This essentially made it possible to make 2 big market actions per round (First with the money from delivery on neutral building, refill money on 6a second market on 2a).

I scored nearly 50 points from cows alone that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CurlyJefferson wrote:
ocelau wrote:
CurlyJefferson wrote:

2b ? Why stupid ?
- discard 1 green for 2$

To me, one train movement and $3 just isn't worth spending an action on. Ideally you have better ways than that to get rid of cards. Compare it to 2a, which not only gets you an extra dollar for your discard but also lets you visit the cattle market, an extremely valuable action. 2b is not even in the same league as 2a in my opinion.

Yes 2a is powerfull, especially at the beginning of the game. But, after, it's interesting mainly for cowboy strategy. For the others, you don't need more cow and if we need, the neutral tile C do the job.
With 2a there is an action next but so can do the 2b : you can enter and upgrade a train station. It avoid to spend 2-3 from engineer action to do only 1 step. It's surely more situational than buying a cow, but it's a possibility.
Buying cow/progress train : for me we need more often the second than the first. So i'd say 2a is more powerfull one or two times, whereas 2b is usefull during all your game and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.