$5.00
$20.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Despite Predictions, Black Friday Produced Record-Breaking Gun Sales rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I didn't see that one coming:

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/11/29/despite-predictions...

I admit I even forgot to stock up on a bit more ammo in the last month or so (too busy at work), but I'm surprised with the increased sales. Probably a combination of post-election celebration and pre-planned buys; it'll be interesting to see what happens next month.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I'm not your lover. I'm not your friend.
badge
I am something you will never comprehend.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it means that Democrats are starting to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, too?

(Please get proper training, fellas!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Gotta put down those black protestors urban rioters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
I hear dildos and vibrators were going at a record pace as well. Hooray America....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once every american owns enough guns it will become a quantum singularity and all that will be left is dildo's and vibrators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Maybe it means that Democrats are starting to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, too? ;)

But of course!

I'm not sure about thereabouts, but around here I know the local gun shops give you discounted classroom courses and such.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I hear dildos and vibrators were going at a record pace as well. Hooray America....

Odin bless America!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware anyone was predicting any retail business sales would be off on Black Friday. I saw a lot of women shoppers in Shooters Supply when I was there. I almost bought a Kahr .380 on sale but I had a case of AP deciding between the CW and the CT models. I stepped away to decide whether I even needed another pocket pistol at all.

Then I found a used Parker P38 guitar for the same money but I didn't buy it either because I decided I should be buying gifts for other people. Darn holiday obligations!

Edit: I misspoke. I was not at Shooters on Black Friday. I was there some day before Black Friday, maybe Tattle Tale Gray Tuesday or something. But there were plenty of women there, most, but not all, accompanied by a man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Ferretman wrote:

I admit I even forgot to stock up on a bit more ammo in the last month or so (too busy at work), but I'm surprised with the increased sales. Probably a combination of post-election celebration and pre-planned buys; it'll be interesting to see what happens next month.
Ferret

Yep, new record, barely:

Quote:
The FBI processed 185,713 background checks for buyers through its National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS.) That was nearly 400 more transactions than the bureau processed on Black Friday 2015, the bureau's Stephen Fischer Jr. told Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-background-checks-hit-rec...

Not sure what a significance a YOY increase of 0.22% really has.

Are there any states that have expanded the requirement for background checks since last year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a coworker who bought seven AR-15s before the election. When Trump won he decided to give them all away. So Trump got me a free AR (Olympic Arms, made in 1992 by serial number).

True story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
JoshBot wrote:
I had a coworker who bought seven AR-15s before the election. When Trump won he decided to give them all away. So Trump got me a free AR (Olympic Arms, made in 1992 by serial number).

True story

who knew ar-15 sales would be such a good measuring stick of right-wing paranoia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gun sales go up after an election when there is concern of the new administration banning guns or being unconstitutional and oppressive.

Trump isn't for banning guns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Maybe it means that Democrats are starting to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, too?

"Proper training" isn't in the constitution, you gun control freak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
[q="Ferretman"]I have to say I didn't see that one coming:

Ferret

Yep, new record, barely:

Quote:
The FBI processed 185,713 background checks for buyers through its National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS.) That was nearly 400 more transactions than the bureau processed on Black Friday 2015, the bureau's Stephen Fischer Jr. told Business Insider.

I'm sorry, are you having trouble with sums?

More this year was more than last year.

Q.E.D.

Sorry it spoiled your narrative--it won't change anything, but I'm sorry for your narrative going awry on you.

odie73 wrote:

Are there any states that have expanded the requirement for background checks since last year?

A reasonable enough question! I hope not but it's always possible.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the same people who complained about being broke and needing jobs because of Obama. Maybe they should have used this money for job training in order to adapt to new job markets instead of buying more luxury goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This picture is of the American politician, abolishinist, and Bowie knife duelist; General Cassius Marcellus Clay... Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL states by law require a gun dealer(any business) to make all gun purchaser's fill out a 4473 before purchasing a firearm. They then submit the information to the FCIS to get a proceed, deny, or delay. After a proceed the sale can go forward. This is the "background check."

Most states you may purchase a firearm PRIVATELY from another private person who resides in the same state with the (unenforceable) restriction of believing the purchaser is legally able to own and purchase a firearm. A private sale CAN include a transfer which uses the above method and costs an additional $15 to $55 dollars. Most people are satisfied with just viewing each other's CCW licenses.

Most firearm gifts fall into the former category.

Firearms training is ABSOLUTELY not in the constitution, which is why we are seeing a rise in constitutional carry vs CCW. Training is just something that responsible people advocate for. Not require. Background checks are not in the constitution either. Imagine if any other "right" had restrictions like this...

Also ARMS are the only difference between a citizen and a slave. Gaining the most efficient current means of self defense also serves the needed use in simple survival:

1. Need to live (violent attack)
2. Need to breath
3. Need shelter (job time comes here)
4. Need water
5. Need food
6. Need shit to do...
7. Need people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Ferretman wrote:
odie73 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Yep, new record, barely:

Quote:

Q.E.D.

Since I did not claim anything different you either have a problem with reading comprehension, understanding percentages or both.

Quote:
Sorry it spoiled your narrative--it won't change anything, but I'm sorry for your narrative going awry on you.

What was my narrative? Any quotes?

odie73 wrote:

Quote:
Ferret

Yep, and if just one more state expanded background checks your narrative of more people buying guns quickly loses its support. Too bad when sample sizes suddenly change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a proposition that passed in California that will require a background check just for buying ammo and clips.
https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_63,_Backgroun...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This picture is of the American politician, abolishinist, and Bowie knife duelist; General Cassius Marcellus Clay... Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
California has some of the most draconian Firearms laws. It feels like that state is chosen to the be the testing grounds for every ill-conceived policy. All those laws yet look at their violent crime rate still...

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Nah.

Economy is already improving just by knowing repubs are in charge. All those background checks are generated by pawnshops as owners feel financially secure enough to get their firearms, jewelry, and guitars out of hock.

Source: pulled it out of Obama's ass. Dems are usually good with that source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

As I said before, nothing like Trump being elected and republican control of the house and senate to make liberals understand the real purpose of the 2nd amendment.

I'm averse to guns. Having a gun is a huge risk factor to yourself and your children. Plus I think they are ineffectual against the government.

Or am I just saying that? whistle

Occasionally, i do wonder what happens when a gun victim's relative takes an AR 15 to the NRA headquarters. A tragic irony. No kidding and not hoping for it but it seriously seems to be just a matter of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I made a kind of nasty joke before, let me try again.

In a culture of extreme anger and paranoia (not limited to a side, either) gun sales aren't that surprising. ESPECIALLY with the culture of victimization engendered & exploited in the last election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
California has some of the most draconian Firearms laws. It feels like that state is chosen to the be the testing grounds for every ill-conceived policy. All those laws yet look at their violent crime rate still...

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-...

Not an easily readable chart there. California ranks 17th out of 50 for violent crimes but to be fair Texas is 15th.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-dangerous-states...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
odie73 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Yep, new record, barely:

Quote:

Q.E.D.

Since I did not claim anything different you either have a problem with reading comprehension, understanding percentages or both.

Quote:

What was my narrative? Any quotes?

odie73 wrote:

Quote:
Ferret

Yep, and if just one more state expanded background checks your narrative of more people buying guns quickly loses its support. Too bad when sample sizes suddenly change.

I note that you have become immune to facts...ah well, it's typical.

RSP must have taken a harder hit from your lot than I thought.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.