Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have either, but in the pictures I have seen so far they look very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Similar to Through the Desert?
minordemon (#25016),

There is now a session report for Oasis, and the games seem to be very different. I'm betting that if Uberplay releases both games then they will share the same camels, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's not similar to TdD/DdW. You do indeed place camels but the rules for placement are much more simple and you're not shooting for the same kinds of goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick (#26531),

It is similar in that you have supplies of oasis, steppe and stony tiles that are common to each player, with each player expanding groups of these tiles that are contiguous and marked with the owner's color, and that one group of a given type is not allowed to touch another group of that same type (lest you be unable to tell which tiles are whose.) It is also similar in that the game ends whenever one of the supply stacks runs out.

Of course, it's different in many ways also.

I played twice yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal, even though I lost both times. I suspect it may have some elements in common with Taj Mahal; you need to avoid destructive competition with others, but how are you going to stop a huge score unless you step up and fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
minordemon (#25016),

If anything, I would say it is similar to New England.

In New England, as in Oasis, you bid for land tiles, and also for cards that let you make use of land tiles, and in both games, interaction is mostly in the bid, less on the board.

In TtD, all interaction is on the board, the tiles (camels) are everything, and your goal is getting them to certain places, not just finding a place for them and then developing them.

Strangely, though, I like New England and TtD, not so much Oasis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.