Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DOMINO EXPRESS

a game for 2 players with one/two domino sets (two dice) and two pawns
(PnP files - components, images and rules added soon)

The first locomotive race game, where victory depends on your skill and speed.
Two variants, one with no luck factor, the other one using a 6-sided die, possible using dynamite to delay the rival (giving the game more adrenaline feeling, but not obligatory)

Game length: 10-15 minutes

Entry thread - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1662855/2016-childrens-game...

now you can download the updated rules here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5URSP8oN06IeUhyRDJKWnFucFU...

and the components here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5URSP8oN06IY052QWhxdnh1YWs...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5URSP8oN06Ia0d0Ynh3U1BPN0U...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5URSP8oN06INmpsOGc3aU1qNkk...

Categories, I'd like to compete in:

2.Preschool/Early Reading/Simple Math - Simple text on cards i.e. "Sam I Am" and "See Spot Run"
3.Elementary School/Early Sentences/Moderate Math - Reading at a roughly 1st Grade Level (i.e. Cat in the Hat)

2 - Matching/Pattern recognition
5 - Racing
Dexterity

the game is now contest ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Contest game entry {components ready} - 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest - DOMINO EXPRESS
the components are now ready and the rules as well, thanks if someone finds the time and takes a look at it/them

I am sure, the rules can be improved...the components in the PnP are black and white, printer friendly

will post a picture of the game tonight

let me know what you think, thanks for your feedback cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Re: Contest game entry {components ready} - 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest - DOMINO EXPRESS
Hiya. Just found your game through your post in the Otto the Octopus thread. You need to post about it on the Children's game contest thread, otherwise the organiser will not know that you intend to enter.
I'll try to check out your game this weekend, though I don't have any dominos to test it with.
Best of luck in the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hiya. Just found your game through your post in the Otto the Octopus thread. You need to post about it on the Children's game contest thread, otherwise the organiser will not know that you intend to enter.
I'll try to check out your game this weekend, though I don't have any dominos to test it with.
Best of luck in the contest!

Hello John, thanks for your post, I am exactly trying to do it now, wish me luck
I am a big fan of you games, Shooting party for instance and your Austen version of The Bogey printed already The Unicorn and hopefully find time with my son during the weekend to play some of the games connected to your magnificent Unicorn cards

you don´t have any dominos??? I kind of counted on the fact, that every household owns at least one if you don´t own one, no problem, you can print the file with 21 (both-numbered)tiles twice and you have two sets... or you can play the B Variant

let me know then, if you liked the idea and if it has some flows...I bet it has cool enjoy your day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer

I have just had a quick look at the rules. They are beautifully laid out, well done. However the English is a bit rough. I could help you improve it, and will send some suggestions tomorrow (it is the middle of the night here). I also think it would be possible to compress the rules to one printed page, which I think would encourage more players to print them out and try them.

One quick clarification - for the version that uses dynamite, can you still use a standard domino set, or do you need to build your custom dominos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
You just need to go to the contest thread and hit the Reply link. Introduce your game there and make sure you include a link to this thread. To do that you need the I'd number in the page address and use the "insert geek link" button. You should end up with a code like this: (thread=1681208][/thread] only with a square bracket at the start instead of a round one. It can be a bit confusing at first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
You just need to go to the contest thread and hit the Reply link. Introduce your game there and make sure you include a link to this thread. To do that you need the I'd number in the page address and use the "insert geek link" button. You should end up with a code like this: (thread=1681208][/thread] only with a square bracket at the start instead of a round one. It can be a bit confusing at first!

done
thanks for your help John, I must admit, without shame, that it was a bit confusing...but first times use to be, don´t they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:

I have just had a quick look at the rules. They are beautifully laid out, well done. However the English is a bit rough. I could help you improve it, and will send some suggestions tomorrow (it is the middle of the night here). I also think it would be possible to compress the rules to one printed page, which I think would encourage more players to print them out and try them.

One quick clarification - for the version that uses dynamite, can you still use a standard domino set, or do you need to build your custom dominos?

big thanks for your time and appreciation of the rules. I am no native english speaker and would appreciate help, if I can be helped.
I am sure, that I could compress it to one page, but I felt, that I must explain even the basic domino stuff... I´ll take a look at it again.
To get the Rules to one page would be great though...long rules don´t rule, heh?
Here it´s almost three p.m, but I feel as sleepy as you

one last quick answer about the dynamite:
you can use a standard domino set for the version as well, you consider then the tiles, which have one empty side and one dotted side as dynamites...blank will mean dynamite (in my first playtesting version I used small drawings of a dynamite and taped it to the tiles directly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest! Sounds like I need to dig out my old domino set and play with the kids!

Thanks John for helping out the thread creation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Welcome to the contest! Sounds like I need to dig out my old domino set and play with the kids!

Thanks John for helping out the thread creation!

thank you, Chris, it' s an honor to be part of this... and yes, digging out old domino sets is exactly what I planned for you, folks, to do enjoy your day and the game as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
here some pics from yesterday´s play-testing, to make it all a bit more alive

presenting the main station of Silver Town and the start-finish point tile, that has been already randomly selected,

here we´ve got the beginning of the game, all tiles are already faced up and the players are starting to connect the assigned number of tiles to the starting point

phase 1 in progress

the locomotive race has began (Variant A - two domino sets used)

still many tiles to choose from

the winner of Variant A, congratulations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think your game sounds like great fun - will have to try it (just need the dominoes -because I assume paper dominoes is not as fun).

Just a quick question - in variant A players still turn tiles simultaneously - so the fastest is the winner right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hoek wrote:
Hi,

I think your game sounds like great fun - will have to try it (just need the dominoes -because I assume paper dominoes is not as fun).

Just a quick question - in variant A players still turn tiles simultaneously - so the fastest is the winner right?

Hi Niklas,

I hope it does, I really do... paper dominoes are not that much fun, but on the other hand, they are pretty portable
nothing like a solid feeling of wooden tiles though, that´s right..
I was lucky to find two domino sets at home (no clue where they came from and that gave me actually the original idea...)

the fastest should be the winner, but you need to turn the tiles and grab the good ones, to make the railroad working and all the tiles matching - e.g. your 9-tiles railroad: 2:5 5:5 5:6 6:1 1:1 1:4 4:3 3:5 5:1 must not be the fastest done, if you run out of fitting tiles for your first try (for instance, you come to 1:4 and see, that there are no 4:something tiles left...it´s good to be fast, but it may hap, that you must build it almost all again...try it out, really
...to do it fast is one thing and to do it fast with someone, who steals your best tiles to make his own track (without making it on purpose), that´s a higher level
good nigh, it´s midnight here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds great. I can see a lot of kinds liking this.

I'm a little confused on how the game is played. It would be very helpful if the rules contained pictures or diagrams.

Need one that shows the game setup ready to play.
Need at least one showing how to build the track.
Need at leas one showing how to race.
Need one showing how to place the dynamite.

When you say match I'm not sure which end of the tile has to match what.

Also, in the dynamite version, does each player get 3 dynamite? Can you use all three? When do you get to do it? When do you get to place it? When do you get to try to explode it?

In laying the track are the players taking turns? How does that work when one player needs a longer track? What if the tile you draw does not match the end of your track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
It sounds great. I can see a lot of kinds liking this.

I'm a little confused on how the game is played. It would be very helpful if the rules contained pictures or diagrams.

Need one that shows the game setup ready to play.
Need at least one showing how to build the track.
Need at leas one showing how to race.
Need one showing how to place the dynamite.

Also, in the dynamite version, does each player get 3 dynamite? Can you use all three? When do you get to do it? When do you get to place it? When do you get to try to explode it?

In laying the track are the players taking turns? How does that work when one player needs a longer track? What if the tile you draw does not match the end of your track?

Hi to you and thanks for stopping by with such an enthusiasm for the game
You're right, I haven't posted any pictures in this thread, only in the design contest one... I'll make it easier for you and place them here and now.. (the rules can't be changed at the moment anymore, at least not while the contest is still on and that means, that I can' t add any pics into it - I can do it here only)

you needed one that shows the game setup ready to play:

plus 1 pic showing the main station and the common first tile of the railroad (since this is how you begin):

you needed at least one showing how to build the track:

you needed at least one showing how to race (got 2 pics for you, one in detail)

and one showing how to place the dynamite.

and here is one, that shows that exact/ most adrenaline-filled
situation, when it's all or nothing for both of players, when the dynamite could explode under the train itself:

and here are the answers to your questions:

take the railroad as a continuous track of matching tiles, just like in dominoes... two dots on one end must match two dots on another tile's end...you can't match two dots with five dots etc...you can see it on the pictures too

Both players get three dynamite tiles in the dynamite version, whether they use it or not is up to them (since using them might slow them down (as explained in the rules).
Both players can use none, one, two or all three of them. You may place them as soon as you find it convenient, in the second phase, when it's all about speed and getting the locomotive to the finish tile. To let explode the track can delay your rival, but certainly it does delay him enormously, if you let explode the train itself - you must be lucky though!
When you connect the dynamite to the appropriate tile of the track, then you must roll the die for exploding it, so choose the moment right, you let that happen by rolling the exact number of the dynamite tile.
If you want to let explode the train itself, you must connect the dynamite tile to the corresponding tile at that moment, when the train is "standing" on it and roll the number on the tile, causing the train-explosion and letting that way your rival to start his race again over - from the start tile.
To prevent argumentation, your rival must roll the next number AND move the locomotive pawn as well to escape the dynamite explosion. if your rival succeeds and escapes, you must consider the dynamite as unexploded and unsuitable for further use. This tile can't/won't be used no more (just like an exploded one)

The race/both phases are simultaneous, they play at the same time, both players are trying to be the fastest to find matching tiles and later again to find matching tiles or roll matching numbers. It is a very fast game, even frantic sometimes

I suggested, that mental/age equal players should have the same length of the track, since it is most fair...fair is as well, if the older/more experienced player gets to build a longer track. Try yourself, what combination would be most suitable for your family/friends/children.
8 tiles against 10 tiles can be what you look for...or, if the child is slower/younger, it could be 7 tiles against 11 tiles.

You'll discover, that the shorter track is easier to build from the common pile of dominoes and the slower player could find himself in a position, when he needs to reassemble his track and start all over (or from a certain point) with the tiles, he's left with. (there will always be 2 spare tiles, he can exchange/use as he likes, as the players use only 18 from 20 tiles as a rule). It is a handicap of course and he must try to be faster in the second phase then. The second phase begins for the player when he finishes his track.
(It may happen, that one player finishes his track AND gets his locomotive to the finish tile and the first player still hasn't finish his railroad -first phase...in that case, you should consider a shorter track in the next try for this player.)
The main thing is always enjoying the game, even if it cruel sometimes - since only one can be the winner.

If you'll have further questions, I'll be here to advice and answer as best as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

In the two phased, to the dominoes start face up or face down? If they start face down (which is what I assumed), when you turn one over and it doesn't work for you, do you then place it face up or face down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
Thanks.

In the two phased, to the dominoes start face up or face down? If they start face down (which is what I assumed), when you turn one over and it doesn't work for you, do you then place it face up or face down?

Gladly

the first phase starts with tiles face up, in the beginning of the second phase are all tiles face down...the player himself may decide after turning the tile face up, if it works better for him to let it face up or turn it again, to make it harder for the rival.
(the odds for the player, who finished his track-building as the second are now better, since the first player makes some work for him (with turning the tiles))

enjoy your day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.