Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: NotHotDeal [+] [View All]
Russell B
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not technically a "hot" deal, so shoot me, but the reprint of Secret Hitler is now available for those who had been waiting on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Hitler/dp/B01JKD4HYC/ref=sr_1_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game cost money?

I just assumed it was some free PnP that got non-stop attention on Tabletop Simulator.

Astounding that people would pay $35 at all, let alone that it would be noteworthy enough to post about.

Not being critical of you, noteworthy is noteworthy. Just surprising to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by the pricetag but the quality of the components is pretty amazing. They took the time to do it right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Pryor
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
hestiansun wrote:
This game cost money?

I just assumed it was some free PnP that got non-stop attention on Tabletop Simulator.

Astounding that people would pay $35 at all, let alone that it would be noteworthy enough to post about.

This is one of the biggest Kickstarted games from the past year. I think this might be the first time it has been available through traditional retail means?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wasn't there the whole issue of these ones being counterfeit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott P.

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
Wasn't there the whole issue of these ones being counterfeit?

I thought the same, I emailed them and they confirmed that it is legit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
This game cost money?

Check recent sales on eBaysurprise

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
This game cost money?

Yes. They were selling for $100 on e-bay. $35 is the retail price. The game components are solid enough for its price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. Have been waiting to buy a copy of this beautifully produced #24 Party game on BGG that isn't for sale anywhere else.(Except eBay)

Sounds like the best deal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly seems like a good deal. I guess I just never realized it was an actual produced game that had a following -- I (clearly incorrectly) assumed based around the conduct of the people who would do nothing but rave about it on Tabletop Simulator to the exclusion of anything else that it was just something insipid that appealed to...well, not so bright people. Partly I suppose because I find it surprising that a game would invoke that particular character in such a fashion.

Maybe I'll give it a shot one day with a ... more mature ... crowd.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think anything is bad about the game at this point. As someone who frequents Tabletop Simulator, I would invariably watch people shout out anyone trying to play anything else, and then proceed to spout racist and other rhetoric while proclaiming how great this game was. It was a case where I drew a faulty conclusion about the game based upon how its supporters were acting. I guess that kind of parallels other stuff going on today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Nelson
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game. Played it about 50 times at a friend's home. Grabbed one since it is a silly fun game. The wooden plaques are solid and good quality. The policies are super thick cardboard. Card quality is pretty good too even though most of the cards sit in envelopes for 99% of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
Four more years! #Cespedes #LGM
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of strange. The game has 32 reviews on Amazon. 31 are 5 stars, all are dated today, and none are verified purchasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it at a Con. I enjoyed it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bobalex
United States
brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
esirof wrote:
Kind of strange. The game has 32 reviews on Amazon. 31 are 5 stars, all are dated today, and none are verified purchasers.

I noticed that too, I delved further and looked at other reviews by specific reviewers but saw they all reviewed different products as well. Must be a glitch from amazon.

With that said, this game, for my group, was a hit. Lots of conversation, emotion, and deceit. Always lots of discussion and laughs after each game. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
esirof wrote:

To be fair, if this is the first day it's on amazon, I wouldn't expect most of the reviews to be from amazon buyers. I've seen plenty of people rank/review games on amazon like in BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

FWIW, Fakespot agrees: http://fakespot.com/product/secret-hitler

Quote:
FAKESPOT GRADE: F
Detected 77.4% low quality reviews

Tread lightly, this product may contain a major number of inauthentic or low quality reviews!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amazon seller is the game's publisher. It's a legit version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Penny
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OverEngineered wrote:

If anything that tells me fakespot's algorithm as too generic to be trusted more than it flags up the product as suspicious. It takes all of about a minute of looking the product page over to be able to tell that it's almost certainly not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
The Amazon seller is the game's publisher. It's a legit version of the game.

Targaff wrote:
If anything that tells me fakespot's algorithm as too generic to be trusted more than it flags up the product as suspicious. It takes all of about a minute of looking the product page over to be able to tell that it's almost certainly not.

Fakespot makes no assessment or claims about the product itself, only the reviews. It's the reviews that are suspicious. No one in this thread is suggesting that this Amazon product listing is not legit.

And for the record, I'm not implying any personal approval/disapproval of the game. I only threw out a small piece of information to corroborate another BGGer's observation that the Amazon reviews looked a little fishy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying people don't like the game. I can see that is the case from the BGG listing. I just think that a wave of early positive reviews on Amazon, all on the same day, from people who didn't buy through Amazon, looks a lot like someone is up to something kinda cheesy. I find it hard to believe that all those folks were suddenly and simultaneously struck by the urge to see if the game they bought elsewhere (via the Kickstarter, I assume) were available on Amazon for them to review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
I'm not saying people don't like the game. I can see that is the case from the BGG listing. I just think that a wave of early positive reviews on Amazon, all on the same day, from people who didn't buy through Amazon, looks a lot like someone is up to something kinda cheesy. I find it hard to believe that all those folks were suddenly and simultaneously struck by the urge to see if the game they bought elsewhere (via the Kickstarter, I assume) were available on Amazon for them to review.

Well it was a kickstarter game. So anyone who has played it got it though that channel and not amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

Well it was a kickstarter game. So anyone who has played it got it though that channel and not amazon.

Right, so I am just curious what is with their sudden, simultaneous urge to review it on Amazon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

Right, so I am just curious what is with their sudden, simultaneous urge to review it on Amazon?

You could sign up to get the release. I would imagine that they announced to their backers that it launched and probably asked them if they would consider providing a review.

I got a text message this morning telling me that it was now available. When I bought it on Amazon there was 1 review with 3 stars. =) I just looked and saw a ton of them now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Brea
California
flag msg tools
pew pew pew
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently Unavailable at Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
esirof wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

It may not be as suspicious as you think. First, there are not many venues to review board games (that matter), besides BGG and Amazon. So, if you are a person that cares about publishing reviews, then the day of release on Amazon is a day you've been waiting for. Say you are a KS backer, love the game, and want to share it with the world. There were announcements today (I got a text from Secret Hitler), so today's release was not a secret. Or, imagine you hated the game - what better venue to review it than Amazon, with its huge audience?

Second, many people care about their Amazon reviewer 'reputation'. Meaning, they want to review a lot of products and get noticed, maybe invited to Vine. They might have been waiting for it to be available and now that it is, they submitted a review.

Finally, the rest could be fake reviews. There should be enough "real" reviews out there (reddit, BGG) that you could make a reasonable guess of whether this game is right for you or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.