Shane Johnson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow I'm excited to get to be a part of this! $1600 is a lot to spend for a game, but I think I'll like it a lot! I just wish the shipping wasn't going to be $200+ (from what I've been reading at least)...

Any tips on what I should expect and the best sites to check out for lore and game-play things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HELLO MR MONEY BAGS, ARE YOU INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A BRIDGE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artayd2 wrote:

What? This reply is not cool, and it you are joking cut the ALL CAPS out. If you are not joking, stop being a tool bag.

Shane, try http://vibrantlantern.com/ lots of good info there.

I also recommend you want the Beasts of War Youtube videos. They play through the first 2 lantern years of the game and give you a real good idea how it plays.

Welcome to the obsession :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in the same boat, to a lesser degree. I got the Friday lantern, the $300 one, and I've already dropped some more for the Dragon King and I'm eyeing the $900 bundle like....I've already spent $400. I will continue to debate the ups and downs of this for a couple of weeks probably :V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llez wrote:
I'm in the same boat, to a lesser degree. I got the Friday lantern, the $300 one, and I've already dropped some more for the Dragon King and I'm eyeing the $900 bundle like....I've already spent $400. I will continue to debate the ups and downs of this for a couple of weeks probably :V

You forgot to make room for Dung Beetle Knight and the First Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Johnson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is beautiful [in my opinion], and I love the thought and feeling behind all of the monsters and minis! I couldn't decide which ones I wanted so I decided to go all-in. haha I also loved that the story-line was rich (from what I've heard: I haven't read into it much).

The only thing bad about that is that it will reduce the amount of other games I'm wanting to get, but they will happen in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Johnson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
artayd2 wrote:

What? This reply is not cool, and it you are joking cut the ALL CAPS out. If you are not joking, stop being a tool bag.

I also recommend you want the Beasts of War Youtube videos. They play through the first 2 lantern years of the game and give you a real good idea how it plays.

Thanks! I'll check that out tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Howe
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW I fell in love with it and paid a bit above retail for the box set when it was sold out, not as bad as eBay prices but not 400 either. Ended up buying every expansion as well. I figured I'd be stuck playing solo, but my girlfriend decided to give it a try and she became almost as hooked as I was (she was turned off by many of the female sculpts, can't blame her). Hundreds of hours later I'm still in love with it and we play whenever our schedules allow, and I'd never hesitate in buying it again if I could go back and redo it.

That being said, don't overdue your budget because you'll need a place to live to store all the awesome content .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can resist, I recommend going into your first play through with as little knowledge of the world as possible. It's really fantastic to see things through the eyes of your new born civilization without your brain automatically queuing up the encyclopedia entry whenever you meet a new plant or animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brynwall wrote:
wow I'm excited to get to be a part of this! $1600 is a lot to spend for a game, but I think I'll like it a lot! I just wish the shipping wasn't going to be $200+ (from what I've been reading at least)...

Any tips on what I should expect and the best sites to check out for lore and game-play things?

Now would be a good time to build out that room addition you've been considering... or at least clear out the basement/garage so you have your game space. KD:M takes up a lot of space even when packed up. Everything will not fit back in the box after you've done some of the assembly. You'll need to consider storage for the larger models and heavens forbid you want to take the game somewhere... A large china hutch should work, maybe two after the current KS ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Brynwall wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:
artayd2 wrote:

Thanks! I'll check that out tonight!

I'd recommend not checking out the video. Go in with no spoilers, it will be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope it is not $200, i know it said $2 per addon but i bet they can manage something like $25 per wave instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Llez wrote:

The $900 bundle doesn't give you any of the old expansions though, so the Dragon King wouldn't be included in that. Did you mean the $750 level? That seems like a decent deal because you're basically getting all the current expansions at roughly half price.

Some of the current expansions aren't really that popular though. I suspect that most of the popular ones are going to be reprinted during this kickstarter and will be half price add-ons anyway, so I'm not sure it's worth it. It makes more sense to me to just cherry pick a few of the best ones, along with the best of the new expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
madaxer wrote:
i hope it is not $200, i know it said $2 per addon but i bet they can manage something like $25 per wave instead.

I think the $200 comes from fulfilling pledges across multiple periods. The plan is to release everything over the course of 4 years, so there will be the need to pay for shipping multiple times, unless you want to wait until it's all ready to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Johnson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
If you can resist, I recommend going into your first play through with as little knowledge of the world as possible. It's really fantastic to see things through the eyes of your new born civilization without your brain automatically queuing up the encyclopedia entry whenever you meet a new plant or animal.

That was also something I was thinking. I really want to dive into the lore, but it might be better if I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
artayd2 wrote:

Is that a Spyro reference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom R
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey just a quick question, didn't want to start a new thread. How does everyone store the game once it's all unpacked and assembled? I'm guessing some of the larger minis don't fit back into the base box. Do any of them? Do they need to be displayed separately? I'm not sure i (my wife more likely) will want to be have these weird penis monsters on my bookshelf when guests come over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tombot wrote:
Hey just a quick question, didn't want to start a new thread. How does everyone store the game once it's all unpacked and assembled? I'm guessing some of the larger minis don't fit back into the base box. Do any of them? Do they need to be displayed separately? I'm not sure i (my wife more likely) will want to be have these weird penis monsters on my bookshelf when guests come over.
I don't think you are going to want store any of the minis back in the box. They are a bit fragile and there is no spot for them to go. Just put the ones you don't want people to see behind other ones or on a high shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
tombot wrote:

In regards to the miniatures, I've seen someone who blu-tacked the minis to a plastic tray & then put the tray in a plastic container. That's useful for storing & moving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hofstedt
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone who also pledged for the Satan's Lantern (like five minutes after the KS went live), I plan on just buying a couple cheap curio cabinets when the stuff starts rolling in. If you're near an Ikea or can get to one, their Detolf cabinets would be perfect, and they're $70 each.

Alternatively, if space is an issue, you could always magnetize the bottoms of the bases and stick them to something metal on the wall, somewhere they won't be harmed. That would look pleasantly odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I envy you Satan's Lantern people, I really do. I simply could not drop that much.

Concur with other posters. First run of KDM is best done blind. First three or four, actually, depending on how short the games end up being. I remember when people were still failing the prologue. The base game will certainly keep you busy for a while.

For storage, I keep the non-mini materials in the box atop a closed cabinet, where I have a couple shelves for the minis. Some of them are awkwardly large (hello spidicules and dragon king).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simply don't. There is enough gameplay in the core game to keep your gaming group and painting fix in check for many many hours actually months. At the end what will happen is exactly what happens to every single game in anyones collection: gather dust after 2 years or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The base game has plenty of content to keep you occupied for hours, however at some point during your play of the base game you will think to yourself, damn i wish i got those expansions, no matter i will wait until they are on sale in the store. Then later when they are in the store 2x as expensive as the kicsktarter you will be like damn i should have gotten them during the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
I can guarantee you that at least 70% of those who get every expansion won't probably play half of them in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.