Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little bit confused on how friendship cards are scored.

Do you score all of the friendship cards in your control at the end of the game (i.e., both yours and opponents)? Or, do you just score your opponents' friendship cards that you have?

If the second, then why wouldn't you (as my friend who looks for rules exploitations pointed out very quickly after our game started) just make a trade where you would include all of your friendship cards in exchange for all of your opponent's friendship cards. This would benefit the two traders with respect to a player that didn't make such a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the second.

And you are generally right. Everyone can do that which leaves it sort of pointless.

You could say that at most one person can use friendship cards in a trade (I forgot if that is actually a rule). Still, people could do it by making two traadesnafter each other.mof course this would guve one person the opportunity to backstab by not making the second trade (which would not be very friendship like)
[/ramble]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a house rule to count all Friendship cards (including your own unused ones) for points would not change the game except for removing this loophole. Might be worth trying. (That said, I think it would affect Lettstrade, from the expansion, negatively.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would mean that you lose points whenever you give them away. So you would be less likely to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole point of friendship cards is to act as a trade lubricant. If you give them away you don't have that option anymore.

There are a lot of times where someone might have a card that you need and they're not using it, but they also don't have any reason to trade with you. The friendship card gives you a way to throw something extra in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian is right–giving away your Friendship cards at the start of the game may net you 6 points (you can only score 6 VP with each opponent's cards, no matter how many you have), but in the late game you will not be able to get the cards you need for your collections because you can't trade up any more. Since Collection cards can be worth as much as 4 VP apiece, it's not a great strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I may be straying a little OT here, we've used a house rule I like a lot and which tends to break the symetry of friendship card trades:

At the end of the game, each friendship card received from an opponent is worth 1 more point for each tournament victory of that opponent. The idea is that successful friends rub some of their fame onto you .

It also works a little as a brake against more experienced players who might sweet-talk a weaker player into an unfair deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a houserule where you're simply not allowed to have more than one friendship card (total) exchanged per trade. While two people could technically spend a minute or two handing cards back and forth in order to exchange cards, as the scorekeeper I would just not count any of their friendship cards at the end of the game, and not invite them to play next time because they're more interested in trying to find and exploit loopholes than actually play the game as it's meant to be played: for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Salminen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Still I find it "useless" content etc. As Brad said you could try to get set collection cards with them, but then again, why would I give my opponent 4 point's when I could net maybe only 3 or 2 points? clearly I'm losing in that trade and wouldn't do it for a friendship card.

Now of course you could be leading or second player and the one who is looking to trade is last player you might want to do it. Still they feel really just "useless" extra etc. which kinda bums me when the set rotation had a set of cards + character that works pretty much only on friendship cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferngully wrote:
Still I find it "useless" content etc. As Brad said you could try to get set collection cards with them, but then again, why would I give my opponent 4 point's when I could net maybe only 3 or 2 points? clearly I'm losing in that trade and wouldn't do it for a friendship card.

You're either forgetting the other card, or you're not doing trades correctly.

All trades have to be balanced with respect to sum of stars on cards and money. The friendship card is a bonus on top of that.

So you're right. You probably wouldn't trade a card to someone that would net them 4 points when what your receive wouldn't do as much for you... But if they give you a 3-point friendship card, they're only netting 1 point relative to you, so if the other stuff you're receiving is worth at least a point to you it's a good trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

All trades have to be balanced with respect to sum of stars on cards and money. The friendship card is a bonus on top of that.

This is actually more of a beginner's rule, there is the 'anything goes' variant in the rules, which I prefer by far as you can make deals more palatable. And don't forget: not every deal needs to be zero sum, favours can go both ways and buy some good will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
msg tools
Quote:

I mean you probably wouldn't. You'd probably give them 1 or 2 points. Though I guess I could imagine a scenario where you're giving the 4 points to someone you feel comfortably ahead of, and are more concerned with catching up to someone ahead of you. That's not an argument against friendship cards, just an argument against poor trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:
Asmor wrote:

This is actually more of a beginner's rule, there is the 'anything goes' variant in the rules, which I prefer by far as you can make deals more palatable. And don't forget: not every deal needs to be zero sum, favours can go both ways and buy some good will.

In that case, my point still stands and for the exact same reason. He was treating it as if he was trading a card for someone's set for just a friendship card in return.

As Sage Of The WIse points out, he's just proposing a bad trade and acting as if that's an indictment against friendship cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.