Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in a recent play... if you are adjacent to and facing the boss and the blue RuneShield is down, does a Skewer do damage?

Three of our players said no since you don't actually move into the boss's space, but one of our players argued enthusiastically that it should. Her argument was that the rules say you can't push the boss, but it makes sense that the skewer targets the space in front of you damaging that space.

I tend to agree that the skewer shouldn't do damage, but I'm curious if there's an official answer. Thematically, her argument makes sense... but whenever you start getting into the "Thematic" questions, you run some really irritating risks .

The other questions that came up were around her Rocket Jump. First, if while adjacent to the boss, should it do 1 or 2 points of damage. The Rocket Jump says that it does damage to everything at Range 1, and the boss is as Range 1, so it takes one point... but comparing that to the official ruling on Kaboom which DOES two points, it brought up an argument.

And finally, if you Rocket Jump next to the boss and 2 minions, how far should you jump? We ruled it as 2 spaces since the card specifically says "For each minion slain". Therefore damage to the boss is NOT a slain minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skewer cannot do damage to anything. It can kill a Minion if you stomp one, but you cannot stomp the Boss.

I've asked the question on cards like Rocket Jump before and it was not yet officially answered. My personal belief is that attacks that hit all targets in an area only hit the boss once. Kaboom! becomes one of the only cards that can hit the Boss multiple times as it looks for a different target with each direction, and hence can hit the same target twice. That's all my opinion currently, though.

I'd probably go with your idea for how far to jump too. The one caveat being that you also count crystals if they are destructible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Saphon wrote:
This came up in a recent play... if you are adjacent to and facing the boss and the blue RuneShield is down, does a Skewer do damage?

Three of our players said no since you don't actually move into the boss's space, but one of our players argued enthusiastically that it should. Her argument was that the rules say you can't push the boss, but it makes sense that the skewer targets the space in front of you damaging that space.

I tend to agree that the skewer shouldn't do damage, but I'm curious if there's an official answer. Thematically, her argument makes sense... but whenever you start getting into the "Thematic" questions, you run some really irritating risks .

The other questions that came up were around her Rocket Jump. First, if while adjacent to the boss, should it do 1 or 2 points of damage. The Rocket Jump says that it does damage to everything at Range 1, and the boss is as Range 1, so it takes one point... but comparing that to the official ruling on Kaboom which DOES two points, it brought up an argument.

And finally, if you Rocket Jump next to the boss and 2 minions, how far should you jump? We ruled it as 2 spaces since the card specifically says "For each minion slain". Therefore damage to the boss is NOT a slain minion.

Skewer can't damage the boss since it doesn't do damage, it kills the minions because you're stomping on them.

If the boss has 2 shields down you can hit him twice, I believe this was answered by Chris.

Lastly the distance is correct, only adds on slain minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrnesss wrote:
If the boss has 2 shields down you can hit him twice, I believe this was answered by Chris.

This was only answered for Kaboom! That is an attack which hits each direction one step at a time. It's still unclear if events that hit all target within a given area can hit the Boss twice too, though. We need further clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
mrnesss wrote:

This was only answered for Kaboom! That is an attack which hits each direction one step at a time. It's still unclear if events that hit all target within a given area can hit the Boss twice too, though. We need further clarification.

Ahh my bad. After reading the cards I'd say Rocket Jump is a Kaboom! with a range of 1.

Agree we need something official tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello!

Each schematic can only damage the boss once, so a point blank range Kaboom! or Rocket Jump will only trigger 1 damage (assuming a shield is down).

Additionally, Skewer will NOT damage the boss. It is not an attack, but a movement, and player mechs cannot push the boss mech. He's a big strong dude!

Sorry for the delay in answering this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Chris was mistaken when he said Kaboom! could hit twice here?
Riot Kades wrote:
barnesm999 wrote:

7) Can a schematic card hit the boss twice in one attack? Since the schematic attacks do not have colors associated with them and the rules say you can choose the color if my schematic attack effectively hits him twice (and he has two color shields down) can I count both? For example I was parked right next to him and my schematic says I attack the first target in each direction. He is in two directions, left and diagonal, can I legally hit twice? We assumed so.

In this instance, yes, as long as two shields are down. Schematics can only be used once a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
Hello!

Each schematic can only damage the boss once, so a point blank range Kaboom! or Rocket Jump will only trigger 1 damage (assuming a shield is down).

Kaboom only doing one point conflicts with what Chris Cantrell said in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/24154451#24154451.

Specifically, according to Chris:

barnesm999 wrote:
7) Can a schematic card hit the boss twice in one attack? Since the schematic attacks do not have colors associated with them and the rules say you can choose the color if my schematic attack effectively hits him twice (and he has two color shields down) can I count both? For example I was parked right next to him and my schematic says I attack the first target in each direction. He is in two directions, left and diagonal, can I legally hit twice? We assumed so.

Riot Kades wrote:
In this instance, yes, as long as two shields are down. Schematics can only be used once a turn.

(This is why I was confused). Could someone clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Talking with the team and making sure we're all on the same page and understand what we did here. Will try to respond today, but if not, Catzpaw will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So in general you're only going to be able to hit a boss once per card. That being said, can a schematic hit a boss twice?

Yes, but in very specific situations. For example Corki's level 4 schematic Special Delivery would allow you to hit the boss multiple times with its effect if during the course of your movement you are able to deactivate the shield again. Let's say you activate Special Delivery and move next to the boss, choosing Fire/Red as your damage type. The red shield would reactivate after the hit, but with subsequent movement you can step on a red rune and deactivate the shield again, allowing you to deal damage with Special Delivery again.

So what does this mean for Kaboom - can you hit the boss twice?

No, because when you activate the card you must select one element for all its damage, even if it deals multiple instances of it during the round. When the first shot damages the boss, it will reactivate the shield, which means the second shot would be absorbed. I know this partially contradicts the earlier ruling, but after having a discussion we think this is healthier and more consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems fair. Nice to have consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good.

Additionally, on behalf of my gaming group, thank you to all of you for being active on the threads. It's a great game and a well supported game. Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.