Subject: When does this game end, exactly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
This is a silly question, but the answer is ambiguous. When does the game end?

In my Dutch rules (see the PDF in the Files section), the game ends always when the 12th stone is placed on the board, irrespective of the number of players.

In one version of the English rules (see the PDF in the Files section), the game ends when the 12th stone is placed on the board---same as the Dutch ones.

However, in another version of the English rules (see this contribution in the thread) the game is played with just 11 stones (the 12th being a spare), and therefore ends when the 11th stone is placed on the board, irrespective of the number of players.

Leo Colovini himself, in this thread on Spielbox (it's in English, folks ), mentions that you play the game with 11 stones too, ending it when you place the 11th of 'em.

I have seen the nasty endgame which results from placing all 12 stones a few times now, and am going to adhere to Colovini's interpretation from now on. In other words, leave one stone in the box, then mark off one or three villages for the 3- resp. 2-player game, and play until what remains has been placed. But I still would like to know the following:

- what does the German Kosmos edition say? (I cannot find a PDF of the German rules, although the site of the Ditts implies that it is 'end at the 11th'.)
- why was the rule changed in the Dutch and at least one English edition? Copied translation error, perhaps? Or is there a deeper reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original edition of the game, by Kosmos states that there are
'11 stones of the wise and one spare stone'(elf Steine der Weisen und ein Ersatzstein).
Further on it says in the Preparation section that 'eleven coloured glass stones ('Stones of the wise')are placed ready next to the board. The twelth stone is only a spare stone'(elf bunte Glassteine ('Steine der Weisen') werden neben dem Spielplan bereit gelegt. Der zwölfte Stein ist nur ein Ersatzstein).
The game ends 'as soon as the last stone of the wise is placed - there are always two villages remaining at the end that do not have 'stones of the wise' on them)' (Das Spiel endet, sobald der letzte Stein der Weisen gelegt wurde - es bleiben immer zwei Dörfer übrig, auf denen am Schluss kein 'Stein der Weisen' liegt).

Whilst I can only guess as to the reason for the difference, if I was a gambling man, I'd bet that it was a translation error!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you kindly for digging up the original Kosmos rules. I'll definitely adhere to those in the future .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Uberplay version and it says, as above, that the 12th is a spare and the game ends when the 11th stone is placed, leaving 2 villages without one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.