Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION : Wednesday November 30, 2016.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of games were played at the Legion Wednesday night.

Patrick brought his latest acquisition and one of the hottest games on the market, Great Western Trail and taught it to Sue, Frank and me. In it you are moving through the Great West with your herd, passing through various stations and delivering your cattle to market in Kansas City. At its heart it is a rondel game where the rondel evolves and there are path options sand with some deckbuilding options. Players score points in about a dozen categories. Very early Sue wanted to hire some cowboys to help her increase the size and value of her herd. As she improved her deck with better and more varied cattle she used upgrades she earned to increase her hand size. By the end of the game she had the most valuable herd. Frank jumped out with a lot of money that helped him hire lots of people, mostly cowboys (of which he had enough to earn him a nice bonus), build a building that got in everyone's way alot. By the end of the game he earned lots of points from his herd and his cowboys. Patrick was a bit distracted trying to make sure we understood the iconography and rules. He focused on building and earned lots of bonus points from buildings, bonus cards and having hired 4 builders. I went for buildings early and this gave me a nice combo where I was (early in each tour along the trail) get two turns in one, earn some cash and push my train forward. Any workers I hired were considered disposable and used a couple of times for the bonuses they gave me then discarded on the rail sidings to take a bonus chip. I was most effective in scoring for cattle delivered (a neat, punitive mechanism in itself) and in the number of hazards I removed from the board (partially due to the fact that I needed to get rid of them in order to most effectively use the building combo I set up). In the end I also benefitted greatly from using my upgrades to increase my handsize by one and movement rate by 3 (which becomes increasingly important as the board fills up with hazards and buildings). I think this game is a winner. There wasn't a lot of downtime between turns and I can see it playing much faster once we all have the iconography down.

Other games I saw played included Paris Connection, 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis, Tokaido, Terraforming Mars, Viticulture (edition?), and Attika.

Have fun next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.