Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special Moves Burning Rage and Meditation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Sammons
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I came across some confusion when my friend was playing as Raphael last game and wanted to use Burning Rage.

Does he have to have activated this card during his previous turn to use this, or can he play the card after rolling dice even if he already has a different Special Move card active from the previous round?

This is similar to Splinter's meditation, except meditation specifically states "Play this card before using dice." Can THIS card be played if Splinter already has a Special Move active from the previous round?

Burning Rage: Use after rolling action dice to turn all of Raph's shell Action dice to either their katana or double shrunken sides. You do not have to turn all of your shells to the same side; you may pick and choose. Cost: 1 focus.

Meditation: Play this card before rolling Action dice. Master Splinter gives 1 of his Action dice to each of the other heroes until the end of the round and regains 4 focus. Master Splinters may still use Action dice shared with him as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your previous turn's move ends immediately at the start of your turn and returns to your 'hand', so you can play either of these regardless of what you played the previous turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
Your previous turn's move ends immediately at the start of your turn and returns to your 'hand', so you can play either of these regardless of what you played the previous turn.

But this isn't the beginning of their turn. It's only the beginning of the new round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My understanding is that these moves are unusual in that they are activated at the beginning of the round, one before and one after you role dice but before dice are shared at the beginning of the turn.

I understood that when they are played they replace a move that is currently active (Raph's only move, or one of Splinter's two possible moves). They last until the next time you roll the dice, when you can play them again or wait until your actual turn to choose something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Sammons
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Jhamin wrote:
My understanding is that these moves are unusual in that they are activated at the beginning of the round, one before and one after you role dice but before dice are shared at the beginning of the turn.

I understood that when they are played they replace a move that is currently active (Raph's only move, or one of Splinter's two possible moves). They last until the next time you roll the dice, when you can play them again or wait until your actual turn to choose something else.

Those cards lasting until that player's actual turn makes sense to me. So Burning Rage and Meditation can be played at the beginning of the round, even if that player activated a different Special Move last round. The new special move replaces the old active card and then is active until the start of that player's next turn.

Ex. Raph plays Hurl Sai during his turn of the first round. At the start of the second round, after rolling dice, he spends 1 focus to use Burning Rage, to get as many shurikens as possible. Then during Raph's second turn Burning Rage is no longer active and he can use Hurl Sai again. Pretty rad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
warrensammons wrote:

Ex. Raph plays Hurl Sai during his turn of the first round. At the start of the second round, after rolling dice, he spends 1 focus to use Burning Rage, to get as many shurikens as possible. Then during Raph's second turn Burning Rage is no longer active and he can use Hurl Sai again. Pretty rad.

I'd call that double-dipping personally. In my mind the intent is that a power lasts for a round, these are just a bit weird in when they start.

In your example Raph gets to use two powers during the 2nd round, one at die-rolling time and another when his turn comes up. I would think that he should be able to use Burning Rage at die rolling time, use all his new die results on his turn, and then play hurl sai again on his third round, after re-rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it would be better for abilities to reboot at start of round. That makes it more crucial for those that want to use defensive abilities to go early. And it makes small opening when the villain can get off an unguarded attacks, which I think they need.

Plus, it clear up this particular rule issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
donnbobhardy wrote:
it makes small opening when the villain can get off an unguarded attacks

How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
donnbobhardy wrote:
it makes small opening when the villain can get off an unguarded attacks

How?

I'm mostly thinking of April. She's almost invincible with the Stealth Suit. If it wore off at the beginning of each round, she'd have to go first to keep it up, which might not always be best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, yeah, there's a bit of a head tilt involved in the timing of those as they are worded now. There may need to be a reword for them down the road. For now, here's how they are intended to work, so play them like this:

1. Burning Rage and Meditation are your special moves for that round, even if their timing is unusual. Once you play them, they count as your special move (or 1 of, for Splinter) for your upcoming turn, effectively.

2. Your previous round's special move immediately ends (Splinter can choose which), because when you play a new special move, the previous one ends.

3. You can follow up a Start of Round move with another Start of Round move, even if it hasn't technically returned to your hand at the start of the turn.

So, example.

Raph's Turn Round 2: Raph uses Throw Sai
Start of Round 3: At start of round, Raph uses Burning Rage. Throw Sai is returned to 'hand.
Raph's Turn Round 3: Raph has used Burning Rage as his special move. He cannot use another one this round.
Start of Round 4: Raph may use Burning Rage again here, even though it technically is still 'active'.
Raph's Turn Round 4: If Raph hasn't already used Burning Rage again at start of round, he may now use another special move.

Making a sweeping "all moves end at start of round" change to fix what is a small corner case would be really bad. A number of hero special moves would suddenly be garbage, utterly not worth taking.

If April's Stealth Suit needs to change, I'll address it specifically. Let's not use a chainsaw where a scalpel is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fair. "One move per round" as opposed to "one move per turn" is a good clarification, though.

But for the record, chainsaw's are always a good idea. With the possible exception of rule editing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.