31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » News

Subject: Expansions delayed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brooks
msg tools
I noticed on the GF9 store (Flames of war), that the banner for the Ferengi and Cardassian expansions now say early 2017. It looks like I won't be able to put those under the Xmas tree as originally planned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why am I not surprised....first the "delayed" launch of the base game, now that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. This game has been cursed with delays from the beginning. I'll still gobble them up when they're available, of course. But it's hard not to be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Sigh. This game has been cursed with delays from the beginning. I'll still gobble them up when they're available, of course. But it's hard not to be disappointed.

Bummer ! Dbl. Bummer!

Just got the game.
Bought this instead of Seafall.
Now i'm far from a Legacy hater.
But this gives me what i had wanted that
I saw Seafall wasn't delivering.

Rules are easier, still plenty of little suprises & laughs, player interaction,AP level reasonable,
less economics, etc.
And there will be more big 'suprises' when expansion (ever) get released.
More $$'s will be spent, but replay for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is what we were all expecting, but it's a shame. It'd be so much easier to get this to the table at 3-4 than exactly 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Broglia
Italy
Torino
ITALY
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gale Force 9 state:
"The Star Trek expansions have been delayed and we are expecting to receive them back end of January beginning of February."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Marco.

Yet another long delay! The good news is that they will probably be worth getting when they finally come. This was my experience with Firefly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Revie

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GF9 make good games but they really have no ability to manage their production. Across all their lines they seem to have delays crop up.
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The store has changed the thumbnails to Early 2017.

rrevie wrote:
GF9 make good games but they really have no ability to manage their production. Across all their lines they seem to have delays crop up.
gulp
They are not the only one. FFG, AEG, the list goes on.

I once asked one store manager is there a board game publisher that actually makes their release dates and his answer was Wizards of the Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Revie

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Frankly this sucks. This game has seen more than its share of false starts and promises. It’s a good game but not great and the expansions could only help. But I am concerned that the considerable hype that surrounded it has waned and the reality of what the game is and the continued delays and lack of communication are only hurting it.

Game companies do suffer delays but GF9 manages to do it at a very high rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on a good note, today the base game has finally arrived at my FLGS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
My sadness has greatly increased...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys think this game will suffer from delayed releases? If so, does that effect any players who have already bought into this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Do you guys think this game will suffer from delayed releases? If so, does that effect any players who have already bought into this game?

Define "suffer" I guess.

They're gonna keep being late if that's what you mean, apparently GF9 ends up delaying most of their releases.

If you mean are the expansions critical to the game: absolutely not. The only problem they're addressing, if you could call it that, is the very restrictive player count. Other than that, they're pretty much more of the same I think. More exploration cards, more planets, a new species with their own ships and tech deck and things, even some new resource nodes. They're making the game bigger, so far they don't seem to be changing it much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:

Define "suffer" I guess.

Ya exactly. Lots of people are complaining and I'm just wondering what the downside is of delays (besides us not get our new shiny toys).

Maybe missing out on Christmas sales would be a big deal? January is the worst time to try and sell something.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing. There's noting much to talk about on the forum laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Not a big deal to me, I'll buy them when they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game. It looks great. I can wait for the expansions, but I doubt I'll play the game before it can support at least four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed because I planned to include an expanded STA game or two in my accelerated holiday season gaming. I also set up a STA session on a Saturday in January, which was originally planned as a 4-5 player, and that now can't happen.

The Ferengi set, as has been mentioned, is much more of a game changer than the Cardassians. I hope future sets will also have more "new" to offer--an NPC Borg set certainly will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really too bad. I know I personally was thinking about 4 player sessions over the holidays so that won't happen now. Maybe that is my "suffering". But I'll live.

Though it would be nice to see them put up more previews on the expansion on their website as they had promised. They had said they would review the unique Ferengi trade agreements, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
I just got the game. It looks great. I can wait for the expansions, but I doubt I'll play the game before it can support at least four players.

Yeah, we played at BGG and I really liked the core of the game, but 3p balance in a 4x isn't appealing to us so we're probably not playing it until the expansions even though we really enjoyed it (our demo was 4p).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
Though it would be nice to see them put up more previews on the expansion on their website as they had promised.

I bet they only had a certain amount of reviews in mind before launching each expansion and with the delays they didn't want preview articles up "early."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:
Though it would be nice to see them put up more previews on the expansion on their website as they had promised.

I bet they only had a certain amount of reviews in mind before launching each expansion and with the delays they didn't want preview articles up "early."

I bet they only had a certain amount of previews in mind, and they've already published them. Maybe they'll write some more, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo With so much product made and shipped from China, I imagine most of our game producing companies have the same frustrating months long wait for stuff that we do. I think they often don't say anything because they don't know themselves when stuff will show up.

This is based on the recent ship impound incident where one Chinese company didn't pay their import dues--and note that Trump may make this even harder to do from now on--and the ship languished on the dock, delaying all kind of games for quite a while. Earlier, out in California, a dock workers strike did the same thing to us.

The much delayed Kickstarter for Mare Nostrum Empires (Academy Games) actually gave us the tracking program for the container ship as it traveled from Shanghai, with photos, and then as the game took its train journey to the Midwest. I'm not sure if this made it better or worse to endure the long wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
R2EQ wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:

I bet they only had a certain amount of previews in mind, and they've already published them. Maybe they'll write some more, though.

Very possibly, though in the most recent preview they specifically stated:

"In a few weeks we’ll assess the rules for Trade Agreements and the special Trade Agreements of the Ferengi Alliance."

Which made it sound like they had at least one more preview planned. But maybe they are sitting on it till the expansions get a little closer to their availability date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
brisingre wrote:
R2EQ wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:

Very possibly, though in the most recent preview they specifically stated:

"In a few weeks we’ll assess the rules for Trade Agreements and the special Trade Agreements of the Ferengi Alliance."

Which made it sound like they had at least one more preview planned. But maybe they are sitting on it till the expansions get a little closer to their availability date.

Hey, you're right, they did. Good point. There's probably at least 1 Ferengi preview left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.