Subject: Why so many people seem to hate games with minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hate" may be very serious word, given the context, but that's exactly what I see.
There's large number of people who can't let the occasion to complain over miniatures in games pass. No matter if we speak about Cthulhu Wars, Blood Rage (and most of CMON games), Dark Souls, KDM... I mean most of the games are the case. People just can't restrain from judging games as "shallow", "overproduced" etc. And that's fine, it's, well, their opinnion.
But I'm curious of, why exactly? What makes so painful for such people? I have to say I can feel kind of elitism coming from that: "We're cardboard games master race, and you are filthy peasant, backing mountains of plastic mess on kickstarter".
I have never ever seen anyone raging over, let's say, Twilight Struggle not having minis quality of Blood Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Love games with miniatures.

On the other hand they are expensive look childish easily breakable ugly for people who don't like to paint difficult to store often have component problems are usually combat base in that turns people off maybe stylistically offensive due to sexual or horrific subject matter.

Besides that little thing, I really don't know why everyone doesn't love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoyance that so many games these days are using them, and thus often boosting the price a lot higher? If you don't like minis, that's a lot of expense for something you don't even want. And if you aren't into painting (or don't have time for it), a lot of minis games look lousy unpainted.

And there is a pretty strong trend of games with miniatures (and thematic games in general) just not being as well thought-out and designed as other games. I think we're seeing more exceptions these days, but it has sort of been a rule for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the 3D miniatures on a 2D game board.

With military miniatures you have 3D miniatures with 3D terrain. It matches.

Board games with cards and charts look better when the playing pieces are also 2D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a good game becomes better with nice production quality, (including, but not limited to minis) - think Takenoko, Eclipse, Deluxe Orleans, Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary.

But when I see a game that emphasizes minis it just looks like another Ameritrash dice-fest. No thanks. Plus, I don't have a thing for either zombies or Cthulu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omnibus4404 wrote:
I have to say I can feel kind of elitism coming from that: "We're cardboard games master race, and you are filthy peasant, backing mountains of plastic mess on kickstarter".

Seems like a reasonable statement - this should go well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to pay for them, and they tend to say "Toy" to me.

For example, I saw Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) just recently. I'm not sure they really deserve the term "mini", though--they're really tiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Echoing the same sentiment as others here: I don't find value in them because 1) for purposes of the game mechanics, they can usually be replaced by a cardboard chit and 2) they're expensive, and I don't want to pay for them because of #1.

For instance, for me, miniatures are causing me to not get to play a game I might otherwise love (Kingdom Death: Monsters) because I can't justify paying for the miniatures. I hate the KDM minis for that. They're beautiful, but my interest is in the game part of the game and there's no option to purchase without the beautiful and expensive minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
From some, but not masses, of experience I'm given to presume that the game isn't as good, and the minis are there in lieu of game play. I've seen too many people apparently decide they love their games because of the plastic and aren't thinking much at all about the quality of the design. Plenty of exceptions I know, but everyone is given to generalisations in various areas.

Also I grew up shy and anxious. I never really played many video games or anything, as they lost my attention quickly, but also as I never wanted to look like I was ... showing off? To say I think I'm implicitly as cool as the shiny sci fi whatever that I didn't know anything about. So I avoided them and I think that became part of my adult personality. Eschewing loud, shiny, boasty things.

Flip side is then that I like the look of things that look intelligent and austere. That's a very large reason I ended up collecting all of Martin Wallace's games. I got Brass and A Few Acres Of Snow and their "serious" look, their cubes and muted pallets... made me feel clever, in a way I presumed a lump of plastic with pointy teeth never could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

I have played miniature wargames for going on thirty years. I love miniature wargames. In my opinion the commonly played examples are not (statistically speaking) as deep or tactically interesting as their boardgame equivalents.
Which if you think about it even for a second makes sense. If I wanted to play a game solely about pitting my intellectual ability against another human being I would play Chess, or Go, not a game where I have to spend more than 50% of my time glueing and assembling pieces together. So those games tend to have a bit more luck, and ask a little less of you in terms of tactical analysis (though they usually still have far more depth than the average gamer will explore).
Now that reasoning does not quite translate to boardgames with miniatures. In principle a games design company could have spent just as long perfecting the rules for a game that uses elaborate minis as they did for a game does not. The player is ultimately spending just as large a proportion of their time *playing* for both mini and non-mini boardgames so there is no reason to expect one to be tactically/strategically richer than the other. Which is largely borne out by my experience, there are examples of deep and shallow in both camps. But it is not hard to see how the prejudice (based on statistical truth in wargames) could translate to boardgames (where it does not seem to be true).
I will however add one proviso. Kickstarter games. They are statistically worse, and statistically more likely to have fancy minis and other aesthetic components. And that is clearly to do with the business model. The aesthetic elements can sell the kickstarter in a way that depth of gameplay cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to do a ton of miniature gaming, but about 15 years ago I put up my paints, flock and terrain and started board gaming.

Now I much prefer the diversity and ease of board gaming. I am not a big fan of plastic 3D board game markers. Most of the time, they don't add to the game except for cost.. Some times even obscuring the board actually making it 'less' user friendly. Give me chits, tokens or cubes for my board games anyway.

Also, some games spend so much time and money on the Plastic 3D board game markers, the focus are on them and not the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy some gams with 3D markers, but in general I prefer the focus on the board game and not the components (unless it's a novelty game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
vocal minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it may seem like "hating" on minis is getting a disproportionate amount of discussions, having been on BGG for close enough to a decade, we most definitely argue and discuss other "types of hate" too, including but not limited to:
Sleeving
DBG (deck building games)
worker placement
co-op games with traitors
Fully co-op games (without traitors)
LCG
CCG
war games
kickstarters
digital board games
why your friends aren't also gamers
why you haven't made the people you game with your friends

As for minis, it's yet another topic which has the merits that while it has definitely added value to numerous games which some players wouldn't want to go without, it also adds cost that some people wish they could go without and just get passed along the savings from that.

Unfortunately, many designers and publishers can't accommodate both camps and are forced to make an 'executive decision' on which way to go about it. It can also be somewhere in between, but even that'll attract some buyers at the cost of turning away others. If you do a more "custom order" type deal where buyers can choose, even that incurs additional costs and efforts that have to be weighed by he publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Ord
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not one to hate on games online but I figure I'll throw down my opinion on miniatures here.

They're great but I can't easily afford them.

It's as simple as that. A game with miniatures is more expensive than a game without miniatures and therefore I'm generally going to spend my gaming budget on stuff that the budget actually allows for.

I currently have two games that contain miniatures (off the top of my head). Heroscape: Rise of the Valkyrie and Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers. The former was £5 from a charity shop and the latter was £18 with a damaged box from Amazon Warehouse, paid for with gift cards. Plenty of miniature games appeal to me but when I see a £50+ pricetag I start to steer myself in another direction for the sake of my bank balance. It's an expensive enough hobby without large quantities of plastic vying for my cash.

So yeah, absolutely nothing against miniatures on my end, they just aren't going to land on my shelf anytime soon. Shame, they're really pretty.

Just finished writing this and I remembered I have XCOM: The Board Game as well. £17.35 by using Flubit on an already low Amazon price. I only grab these things when they're heavily discounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a lot of hate for minis.

Personally, I like them - unless I have to assemble them, in which case, I'm not interested. I have neither the time nor skill nor inclination to do assembly/painting, but I respect those who can do it.

I'd pay a premium, too, for pre-painted minis e.g. Xwing. They add to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Block wargames are also far easier to manage a number of blocks versus miniatures as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care for the common themes that come with this type of game and a bigger factor is I hate dice in board games. I know there is probably miniature based games that don't use dice but it's also the other common gameplay mechanism involved that I don't care for.

I'm sure I'm missing a great experience here or there but I'm good with what I am playing already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
With the oceans of different types of board games available and "coming to a store near you", one could argue that its kind of a non-issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I see a game with miniatures, I automatically think:

- Expensive
- Huge Box
- Will be all about throwing 20 sided dice to determine combat results
- Will be all about a fantasy setting with grotesque monsters and scantily clad maidens, etc.

These are just my prejudices when I see a game with miniatures. I had a nice change of mindset when I played Mechs vs. Minions. It was actually a really cool game, reminiscent of RoboRally, but more fun.

But my 2 complaints about that game are:
- Expensive (for a board game it is, but for a miniatures game it is not)
- Huge Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justinjoy wrote:
i dont play with toys anymore

Oh yes you do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are large numbers of people on all sides of most issues.

The success of miniature games on kickstarter suggests that many people like miniatures and are willing to pay for them.

I don't have anything against miniatures but I'm not particularly drawn to them. One of the factors is I don't have an artistic bone in my body and while I might enjoy painting (I'm considering painting the minis for Thunderbirds I have coming to me) I'm not sure they'd look very good.

My experiences with Miniature focused games has been limited though I haven't actively avoided them. I enjoyed both Scythe and Mechs vs. Minions so I have no reason to feel put off by games with miniatures. Maybe others didn't have such good experiences and are, perhaps unfairly, assuming all miniature games will give them similar experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
The same reason people hate unicorns. This is why we can't have nice things.

I like both, a good miniatures game gives me something to paint when I cant game but a good game without miniatures I will play happily. Too many cliques and hard line divisions for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
I like toys, and I like it just fine when my games seem like toys.

I don't hate games with minis, in fact I look at them with wonder, but I certainly don't want to invest the time (or money) to paint minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omnibus4404 wrote:
I have never ever seen anyone raging over, let's say, Twilight Struggle not having minis quality of Blood Rage.

You choose good examples. Twilight Struggle has a quickly-evolving board with a LOT of spaces with numeric influence values that change incrementally and frequently. Minis would be of no use here - the numeric chits work as well as anything could in this game.

Blood Rage has as smaller number of pieces and fewer actions. The pieces you place have set values that (the odd exception apart) don't change, so (while Cool Mini or Not could have used chits) minis convey the game state just as well as chits, while looking awesome - especially if painted - and help convey the theme.

War of the Ring is another game where a limited number of unit types means plastic pieces work fine, and again when painted can give a really good look on the table.

Chits / counters have their place - I'm an old-school hex'n'counter wargamer by trade - but minis have their place too. I recall a minor cult game called 'chess' doing quite well with them for a period - limited number of unit types, strong visual impact etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I don't want to pay for them, and they tend to say "Toy" to me.

For example, I saw Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) just recently. I'm not sure they really deserve the term "mini", though--they're really tiny.

So they aren't miniatures because they are too miniature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.