Red7» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action Rule for 7 and 1.3 Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official English Rules v1.3 have the following action rule for 7:

"Choose a card from your PALETTE and either discard it to the CANVAS or place it face-down on top of the Draw Deck. If playing with Advanced Red7, do not draw a card for discarding. You may not play a 7 if you cannot stay in the game at the end of your turn."

This seems to suggest that the following is illegal:

1. Play 7 to palette.
2. Place card from palette (e.g., that 7) face-down on top of the Draw Deck.
3. Lose.

Is that right?

Otherwise, I think that moves that result in loss are illegal only if they add a card to the canvas, and this doesn't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Baker
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd say that's illegal.

You wouldn't be winning at the end of your turn, so couldn't play the 7 to palette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Official English Rules v1.3 have the following action rule for 7:

"Choose a card from your PALETTE and either discard it to the CANVAS or place it face-down on top of the Draw Deck. If playing with Advanced Red7, do not draw a card for discarding. You may not play a 7 if you cannot stay in the game at the end of your turn."

This seems to suggest that the following is illegal:

1. Play 7 to palette.
2. Place card from palette (e.g., that 7) face-down on top of the Draw Deck.
3. Lose.

Is that right?

Clearly, from your example you would be in exactly the same position as at the beginning of your turn if you placed the same 7 face-down on top of the draw deck, i.e. losing. You can only make a play if it guarantees you are winning so, yes, it is illegal.

Quote:

Otherwise, I think that moves that result in loss are illegal only if they add a card to the canvas, and this doesn't do that.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with this statement...ANY play is 'illegal' if you can't be winning after playing. If you can't be winning after you play, you can only do Option 4 which is 'Do nothing, and lose'

In the base game you have only 2 fundamental options - change your palette so you are winning, or change the canvas so you are winning. You can do both also, but its the same 2 options.

With the action rules you have one other option where you can also play a '1' card to your palette that then allows you to change some OTHER player's palette which may also make you winning as a result.

If none of those allow you to be winning, you can only 'Do nothing, and lose'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
ANY play is 'illegal' if you can't be winning after playing. If you can't be winning after you play, you can only do Option 4 which is 'Do nothing, and lose'

The v1.3 rules allow you play a card to your palette (but not to the canvas) even if you would be losing.

I think that the earlier rules also allowed this.

There might not be much point in doing so, but it is allowed.

With the action rules, this seems to be disallowed for 7.

It's probably because action rule 7 changes the game state for other players, which an ordinary play to palette does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.