Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two players who coordinate their research and share technologies will do better than two single players who don't.

But there's no joint win, so at some point you need to stop cooperating…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
The interaction is largely the negotiation and trading. There are slight interactions when you get cash for someone else completing a mission or when you decide which missions to go for (to race other players) but the trading of technology, components, mass to Earth orbit, cash, etc is key.

Yes, it is a lot of fun multiplayer (if everyone is on board for the game style).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Ok Thanks,
My only fear was that since there is a lot of calculations the game could be a bit dry and fear that since it's a race, everyone minded his business like playing caverna
You've maybe sold me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, got me thinking about a variant where you could use Juno rockets as missiles to aggressively "rendezvous" with other craft.

Might need some new advancements too, like evasive manoeuvres, software hack, sabotage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Ok Thanks,
My only fear was that since there is a lot of calculations the game could be a bit dry and fear that since it's a race, everyone minded his business like playing caverna
You've maybe sold me

It is a fun game, but at least in my games, there is not a lot of interaction between players. And you definitely need to break out a pen to plan your missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
I don't even know where I live anymore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on multiplayer (3 or more) Leaving Earth:

Upside
- Working together to do more than you could by yourself, like trading to get better technology.
- Selling payload space on your launches, which usually can make you quite a bit of extra cash.
- Making deals to squeeze some kind of value out of that last million you've got left over instead of losing it entirely.

Downside
- It's a mathy, planning-heavy game, so everyone's spending a lot of time looking at their plans.
- When you both get to your goal in the same year, it's not very satisfying to get there first because of a die roll.

(I'm the designer, by the way, so take my opinions of the game with a grain of salt.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words - Space Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That gives me an idea... Why not create some coop rules with one, huge, common goal to achieve? Like...
1. New, coop missions (that are damn hard to do and even impossible for single player). This can be nosidered a bunch of "scenarios" to play.
2. Event cards - that will mess with player's plan (coop - players vs cardboard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hulbert Guy Ferger
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I just completed a follow along play of "PBF 02" (My reply included an image of the play tabletop), which is in the "Play by forum" section of this forum. I decided to try this follow along to observe the player interaction between three players. Roger hosted the game with Jordon, Robert, and Josh as players. All I can say is, WOW! What a game! Having only played LE and a Outer Planets solo, this expands an already AWESOME game to heights. Since the players had to carefully articulate their thoughts for their proposed moves, so Roger, the host, could execute their instructions, I could really "see into" their thought process. The neat thing of LE is that the game can be as complex or easy as one would like. Scalable, if you would like. The mission cards selected by using easy through very hard, and for solo, trying for all of the selected missions. Completing missions in less time; finding cheaper ways to complete the missions; ignoring the time limit, especially with Mercury and Outer planets included, in kind of a "sandbox" or "creative mode" like atmosphere. All quite cool! Oh, Joe, I think I may have to have an account with you guys as I will probably be purchasing any and all additions to LE! ;D Peace...Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game mostly for solo play as I didn't expect too many people to want to play such a mathy game. But what ended up happening instead is that my brother, my friend from high school, and I have ended up playing it quite a bit multiplayer and I've ended up barely touching it solo.

When we play we rarely collaborate and we are mostly trying to simply race for the higher point mission cards and planning individually. Usually whoever wins tends to win by a small margin and its usually a last minute mission that puts someone over the top. I typically find our games rather exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a five player game last night on hard, with three players new to the game. Several things I noticed:
1. We ran out of components, particularly rockets, Vostok capsules and supplies. Also pilot astronauts. Shortages were severe.
2. The game was fairly slow (but not boring) with it taking us over 3 hours to get to 1967. We didn't finish the game as it was 11:30pm, but declared the man with an astronaut in his Venus base the winner (particularly as the other high scoring objective was a manned return from Venus, it looked like an obvious win).
3. Conversely, technological advancement was quite rapid because there was a lot of trading of technology and giving money to research outcomes. No one traded lift space. The very first turn, two of the new players made a deal to immediately trade Saturn and Soyuz rockets once safely developed: this put the rest of us on a back foot and trading between ourselves.
4. There was a lot of mission planning!
5. All in all I think it was enjoyed by everyone, which surprised me as two of my gaming friends groan whenever I pull out High Frontier.

I am very pleased with this game, particularly as my 12 year old son enjoys playing it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.