Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Mythic Battles: Pantheon - Conan Backers Thoughts on Getting it for More Conan Content rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jowett
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn on backing this game. It's not really my type of game but the chance to get even more content for Conan is what's enticing me.

I received my copy of Conan a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. After the first play through it immediately brought back memories of playing Hero Quest as a kid.

I'm curious what others are doing in regards to backing this project just for the chance to get more stuff for Conan. $99 plus the $29 for the Corinthian pack is a hefty price for access to new models that don't particularly fit REH writings (except for the winged ape).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have already more than enough Conan stuff. Got the whole shebang, will keep my busy for years. And MB's gameplay is not my thing (pretty good, but quite different from Conan). So I'll pass on this one.
However, if I was a hardcore completist, I'd pledge MB + Corinth pack, then re-sell MB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Swiss
msg tools
mbmbmb
The conan crossover content (Corinthia) is not a kickstarter exclusive so you could wait until after the game launches to purchase it separately. Sadly the winged ape miniature (which they put on the box cover?) is a kickstarter exclusive. This means you will probably have to fork over $40+ for the ape on ebay (based on the conan kickstarter exclusive addons now) on top of the $39 the crossover box will cost after the kickstarter campaign ends.

So you will end up spending $80+ after the campaign ends for all of the conan crossover content versus $128 for the crossover content + Mythic Battles: Pantheon now.

It's up to you what you want to spend but the best bang for your buck is probably backing now if you really want the crossover content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we only back the expansion without having to buy the Mythic Battles game? I don't want that game, just the Conan stuff in that expansion... especially that winged ape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This winged ape thing chaps my ass. I'm not enough of a completionist to back a game I don't want just to get it, but it's a cheap ploy that kind of makes me want to fly Monolith the bird.

I mean, it's pretty crappy to have stuff for one game that you can only get if you buy a completely different game. It's one thing to have rare expansions, but making me pay for games I don't want just to get nuggets of stuff I do want FOR COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES is a load of crap. And making it exclusive to the Kickstarter for the different game is just lame - now I won't even be able to pick it up later without paying an arm and a leg for it, assuming I can even find it separately.

I wasn't mad about the rulebook.

I wasn't mad about the late delivery.

I wasn't mad about the giant box full of stuff I can't use yet.

I wasn't even mad that a bunch of the minis are lower-quality sculpts than others.

But I'm pretty darn unhappy about this. Looks like Monolith isn't going to get any more of my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jowett
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monolith confirmed you have to back at the $99 to have access to the add-ons. So to get the winged ape you have to back the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still surprised that people are surprised that a new ks for a different game has its main focus on enticing people to back that game.

So yes, doing a crossover pack by combining game elements from both games makes far more sense than adding single game items for themselves - basic marketing.
Sure, crossovers always make more sense to a buyer if he is interested in both games, but that's implicitly given by naming it a crossover.

this shouldn't be misunderstood as me lobbying for anyone to buy in, I don't care either way - heck I'm not even sure if it is a good deal for me.
if it isn't worth it from you perspective then it isn't worth it, no problem, I just don't care for the entitlement that resonates in many posts.

PS: if anyone brings completionism as an argument to the table, they should be aware that they are basically responsible for there being KSEs in almost every item.

PPS: If everyone could tune down their inner drama queen of the black coast I would be grateful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sell the exclusive stretch goals individually and make back your money, mark my words. Have you seen how much extra content there is already! Then give the core game away to a family member at christmas. Or keep it and use the crossover cards in Conan custom scenarios f that's your thing.

The Nemean Lion would look much better beside King Conan than the one we got I think. It's exclusive as well though... The villagers could be used in Zombicide and Conan, that's my plan anyway.

A $99 pledge is well worth it for what is offered imho. Add the Ape for +$29 sell the (currently) 16 exclusives and the other SG content and you will make your money back. I also recommend the $10 game board, it works with Conan too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:
You can sell the exclusive stretch goals individually and make back your money, mark my words. Have you seen how much extra content there is already! Then give the core game away to a family member at christmas. Or keep it and use the crossover cards in Conan custom scenarios f that's your thing.

The Nemean Lion would look much better beside King Conan than the one we got I think. It's exclusive as well though... The villagers could be used in Zombicide and Conan, that's my plan anyway.

A $99 pledge is well worth it for what is offered imho. Add the Ape for +$29 sell the (currently) 16 exclusives and the other SG content and you will make your money back. I also recommend the $10 game board, it works with Conan too.

I totally agree. We all asked for more maps, and this is an infinitely better deal than the Conan RPG maps we were offered the opportunity to buy. Loads of minis that come with tiles/character sheets for use in Conan, and these aren't no-name generic minis, but classic mythological figures everyone grows up knowing. No cross-over content in the stretch goals, so that's a whole box that can be sold off to pay for the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
I'm still surprised that people are surprised that a new ks for a different game has its main focus on enticing people to back that game.
-snip-
f it isn't worth it from you perspective then it isn't worth it, no problem, I just don't care for the entitlement that resonates in many posts.

PS: if anyone brings completionism as an argument to the table, they should be aware that they are basically responsible for there being KSEs in almost every item.

It's the KSE stamp put over a Conan figure for a completely different game that's causing the problem. If that wasn't there people wouldn't be so upset.

How is expressing dissatisfaction labeled as "entitlement"?

No. Being completionist doesn't cause KSE because that's not the people who are deciding to make things KSE. They have NO authority over that. You can't blame people who aren't in control. Companies trying to capitalize on people being that way are making that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply state that you are not supporting the Kickstarter, then cancel your pledge -- you do have control. Vote with your wallet and your legs, but it takes the strength to walk away. It's when people hang around for months/ years complaining that it reeks of entitlement; I'm tired of hearing about the damned winged ape! People want to clamour and complain until the company bends; it just gets depressing. Most of us are adults, how much energy should we spend complaining over what are essentially toys? Let's preserve our dignity. In the words of Brock's Virgil, "Burn the [Ape]"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
If (IF!) the game is any good the resale value should be quite high. The number of extra minis added in stretch goals is quite nuts. A single addon pack doesn't seem enough to get mad about to me but we all have differing desires. If its just the conan pack you need I am 100% sure you'll be able to get it on EBAY for a medium premium.

Could be worse. You could be paying $100 for Kingdom Death 1.5 upgrade pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Mythic battles and the cross over is a lot of money.
My issue with the crossover is that the cross over isn't good.
It's mostly a bunch of heros I don't need because I have a ton of heroes I currently can't use and none of these heroes fit into Conan.
There is a handful of out of place monsters but they are cool.
A bunch of villagers I don't think I've seen anyone ask for and don't do much.
And the winged ape... Which is like the only thing people really wanted.

You can't even claim this crossover is good for mythic battles since it has absolutely no crossover material except kretos and they still have to pay $10 for the model, but again there are no boards except for the winged Ape which has no real Greek lore and a bunch of villagers that even the MB players don't really want.

I'm sitting at a dollar pledge waiting for mythic battles to fix this crossover because it's stil pretty weak and I keep asking just for more tiles to include the numerous stretch goals that can be somewhat appropriate to a Corinthian setting. If mythic battles would only do that they would make the Conan crossover a decent buy because a lot of those minis you get would be useful for those people who are not really interested in a draft format versus game.

Jist create more tiles fog all those cool monsters to be usable in Conan and I am sure many more Conan pledgers would happily pay the $128 for that proper Corinthian ecpsnsioon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to point out something that it would appear that some people missed (or perhaps they just don't care).

The crossover is not just for minis and tiles. It also includes new Conan scenarios that utilize the Mythic Battles maps. Leo also said in the future he really liked the idea of making Conan scenarios with the Poseidon expansion, so that we could have sea battles.

I'm into Mythic Battles though, so the crossover doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me are 2 things:

1) They stuck KSE stuff in everything, so if you want it, you have to get it NOW rather than wait for retail. It's obnoxious and honestly makes it seem like they don't want to succeed at retail. I'm surprised Asmodee allows it. Even CMON seems to have learned their lesson with Massive Darkness, which only has KSE stuff in the core box.

2) They already have scenarios written for the crossover, which you can read in their update for the Corinthia box. Yet, the Conan backers are still waiting on dozens of scenarios for our add-ons, with no sign they've even been started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Even CMON seems to have learned their lesson with Massive Darkness, which only has KSE stuff in the core box.

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying there are concrete examples of CMON having previously done the whole "exclusives in every add-on" thing and it having hurt them in retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
Even CMON seems to have learned their lesson with Massive Darkness, which only has KSE stuff in the core box.

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying there are concrete examples of CMON having previously done the whole "exclusives in every add-on" thing and it having hurt them in retail?

I'll admit it's an assumption. I'll also admit I haven't followed every CMON campaign, so maybe they tried things differently all the time. I did notice how they did things with Massive Darkness, though, and, of course I'm not privy to their data, but they have a lot of experience and so I assume (rightly or wrongly) that they chose to do things that way on Massive Darkness for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usual get frustrated with gaming stuff but this KS with MB:P has rubbed me the wrong way. If there was no Conan crossover I would not have backed it. Don't get me wrong it is an awesome game but I still feel like I need to pay off my debt from Conan. But before the campaign even started they started teasing a crossover and honestly it sounded bigger at that time.

So, I back it... and waited, trying to be respectful of MB:P. Finally the release the first SG with an overlord tile and all the MB:P people freak out. So, Monolith says no more SG Conan stuff. Okay I understand that you do not want to waste SG on a game you do not own. Many of us made it clear we were willing to pay.

The crossover pack is released and okay I getting excited. Once again a bunch of MB:P people lose their crap and cry about how it's no fun for them because they did not back Conan. Monolith does a good job trying to make them happy but it was never good enough. Monolith, starts down playing Conan.

At this point people start getting aggressive if you ask if there will be anymore crossover material. They say no, but then change it to we might in the pledge manager.

it was a weird KS, where a few load voices ran the whole show. I wonder what they really had planned to do. At this point, I do not feel welcomed on that KS. I have pledged just enough to get the Conan stuff.

I can not understand why everyone did not support Conan people purchasing more stuff which who have unlocked more SG.

Now if Monolith does it in the PM after the campaign closes, they might make a ton of money but have no need to unlock any SG. Well played.

I love Conan it is a great game and I only wanted more for a game I really enjoy. I guess if that makes me entitled so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Where do you see they might add more crossover material in the pledge manager?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
The crossover pack is released and okay I getting excited. Once again a bunch of MB people lose their crap and cry about how it's no fun for them because they did not back Conan. Monolith does a good job trying to make them happy but it was never good enough. Monolith, starts down playing Conan...

...it was a weird KS, where a few load voices ran the whole show. I wonder what they really had planned to do. At this point, I do not feel welcomed on that KS. I have pledged just enough to get the Conan stuff.

Honestly, they botched the crossover. They offered a crossover with 80% of the content going towards Conan material. That in itself isn't what irritated MB backers. I would have shrugged at that.

What was irritating was that they decided to also include a KSE unit with a tenuous connection to actual Greek mythology (winged ape), and of course that came with everything you needed to play it with, including mini. But the only other MB unit in there (Kraken/Ketos)? No mini. (later it was made available for an extra $10)

See all those Conan villagers that come in the add-on? Unusable in MB (until they later backtracked and decided they would come up with "optional" rules to use them).

So MB backers felt like we were essentially subsidizing something that was really a Conan add-on, rather what felt like a "true" crossover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm dropping MB: P because I got a Gold pledge on Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Forest.
Conan is my primary interest and my friend is backing MB: P so I can add on to his pledge if I decide to get it.

MB: P looks good (basically Heroclix with drafting and way better miniatures) but I couldn't resist that Shadows of Brimstone all-in pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
ozmo wrote:
I'm dropping MB: P because I got a Gold pledge on Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Forest.
Conan is my primary interest and my friend is backing MB: P so I can add on to his pledge if I decide to get it.

MB: P looks good (basically Heroclix with drafting and way better miniatures) but I couldn't resist that Shadows of Brimstone all-in pledge.

This is my primary concern. I own a full Heroscape set, and wonder if this is really worth buying into.

I know it's 'different' but different enough? I still have not been convinced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
ozmo wrote:

This is my primary concern. I own a full Heroscape set, and wonder if this is really worth buying into.

I know it's 'different' but different enough? I still have not been convinced.

I go back and forth. The minis, without a doubt, are amazing. The gameplay? Looks good, but like I said before, it really reminds me of heroclix - powers & stats change as damage moves up and down a dial/track. The cards differentiate it as does the drafting of teams. It looks fun but I have to wonder how often it will hit the table.

But my friend is getting the Typhon pledge so I shouldn't have an issue playing it leaving me to get the core & Corinthian for Conan if I decide to go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Why the hell has it got its own miniatures in it?
The conan crossover pack should have just been tiles and some scenarios so that people could use the MB figures in Conan.

HOW FUCKING HARD IS THAT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's one of those glass half empty or glass half full kind of things myself. They could have included nothing for Conan. Instead they decided to add more value to their MB product by making maps, figures, terrain, etc. that could also be used in their other game, Conan. I don't fault them for that. The minis are awesome. Game looks fun. If I don't like it, then I can most likely sell it without much of a loss, if any. Just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
I think it's one of those glass half empty or glass half full kind of things myself. They could have included nothing for Conan. Instead they decided to add more value to their MB product by making maps, figures, terrain, etc. that could also be used in their other game, Conan. I don't fault them for that. The minis are awesome. Game looks fun. If I don't like it, then I can most likely sell it without much of a loss, if any. Just my thoughts.

I might agree with you had they not hyped a Conan crossover before the KS had started. This is what threw me off, I had honestly thought they were going release a tile and hero pack for all of the models and a few scenarios to use on the maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.