Hide
14 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Finally, the new Number 1!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Today Arkham Horror: The Card Game reached position n.1 in the ranking of the best customizable games on BGG!

Congrats, and well deserved!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is funny because it isn't particularly customizable quite yet. Don't get me wrong, I have stopped playing KDM for this game and I love it. But I really think it needs some expansions before it can be rightfully at the top of that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Today Arkham Horror: The Card Game reached position n.1 in the ranking of the best customizable games on BGG!

Yes indeed. 'Tis my favorite game at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's absolutely crazy considering it hasn't been out long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:

Yup, it's bizarre. What was even more bizarre was the previous n.1: it has even less votes than AH:LCG and yet it was able to pass Netrunner and X-Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

Yup, it's bizarre. What was even more bizarre was the previous n.1: it has even less votes than AH:LCG and yet it was able to pass Netrunner and X-Wing

What's bizzare is that Summoner Wars is like #100 and Netrunner and X-wing are top 25 I believe. The same thing works with wargames. Overall, BL2 is higher than Armada. But in the war category, Armada is higher than BL2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Newman
United States
Wantagh
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:

And in only 19 days from release date. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if BGG changed its coding logic for how to rate a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't look at these ratings because they have nothing to do with how you personally like a game or not.

Certainly in this category the "new" tramples everything and a few years older game sinks out of a decent top 10-20 ranking.

It IS the nature of the "collectable games" any how.

----

BUT, It is a solo(able) LCG so like LotR it will keep going and going ... forever as you will always be able to play it even LONG after the hype has died off on your own.

The solo nature of this game is one of the reasons for its initial success and if the expansions are designed smart enough it will have a VERY long run, just like most other Lovecraft games from FFG.

I have 2 more wishes :

- I just wished FFG made a solo engine for their awesome SW LCG (although the BGG variant is interesting and gives me fun already).

- I hope the community will publish pre made decks to tackle adventures as I like to be lazy sometimes and copy/cut decks besides breaking my head on deck construction - like LotR does.

Final remark: I find the LCG better ATM then MoM2. I suddenly realised that the App was not really that good compared to ... card draw....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
The one reason to care about rankings is that higher ranked games tend to have more active forums, which is quite nice, when you'd like to discuss the game.

On more than one occasion, I have been interested in games which were not as popular, and that did put a damper on my enthusiasm, simply because I did not have as many people to talk to. Yes, I spend way too much time on the forums, and much too little time at the gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
best customizable games

Or best marketed....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
leroux13 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
best customizable games

Or best marketed....

Or newest...

Or most hyped...

I don't think AH:tcg was better or even differently marketed than the last few LCGs from FFG. It does seem very popular, taking into account all the reports of it selling out. That could be a contributing factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
The one reason to care about rankings is that higher ranked games tend to have more active forums, which is quite nice, when you'd like to discuss the game.

On more than one occasion, I have been interested in games which were not as popular, and that did put a damper on my enthusiasm, simply because I did not have as many people to talk to. Yes, I spend way too much time on the forums, and much too little time at the gaming table.

don't we all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how the 'Geek calculates the popularity of a game (and I would like to know), but honestly, it doesn't shock to hear that it sells a great amount of copies, nor that it is/will be a very popular game.

What we knew in advance:
- It IS a Chtulhu game
- FFG quality
- Endless replayability through infinite expandibility
- Solo playable right out of the box

What we discovered once the game got out:
- Game mechanics are actually solid (did someone actually doubt they wouldn't?)
- the narrative aspect of this game is really predominant (never have I played a game with so much "theme")
- the deckbuilding part of the game is presented in a VERY streamlined and "casual" form. But it is even now evident that expansion after expansion it will grow in importance, which (for once) gives a nice learning curve to the deckbuilding side of a LCG.
- Even if this game borrows a lot from other existing games it manages to be innovative. The sense of location and of player character is in my opinion unprecedented, apart from tabletop RPGs.

All this to say: popularity well deserved, sir! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.