Subject: How long does it take to finish the game with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until now, I have only played the stand-alone computer version of Ra and the implementation on BrettspielWelt. The gameplay is swift and the end-turn scoring is immediate.

I would like to know how long it takes to play with 3 players in a face-to-face game.

Drop a line as I am curious whether it is still a fast-paced game f2f.
And what about 4-player and 5-player games? How much longer do they take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
If all three players know the rules and have played before, it's easy to finish in 30 minutes. It doesn't take much longer with more players, as the Ra track doesn't get much longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
My guess would be about 25 - 30 % longer in the f2f cases; slightly more with 4 and 5 player-games. Expect a drop in general satisfaction, too. This is because Ra is one of the few (simple) games which profit from the BSW-interface. Each player can quite accurately assess the value of a row of tiles on the Ra track given what each player already has; this is not so easy in the physical cardboard form. As a result, playing time and satisfaction suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
30-60 minutes depending on how many players there are and how familiar people are with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We could regularly finish four and five player games in sixty minutes. Three would probably be thirty or a little more I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Most of our games have been with three players, and we generally finish between 30-40 minutes. Sometimes a lot quicker if Ra is jumping out a lot. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three players is my primary target, so it is good to know that the game plays within 30-40 minute range. I have not thought earlier about the drop in player satisfaction due to the difficulties with assessing the current position, but now I have my doubts. While playing online, just one look at tile distribution is enough to make a decision. I guess that with tiles scattered around the board it really may be more difficult to evaluate mine or other player's position.

Is it really that bad?
Will the use of player mats solve the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play using the player mats and never have a problem telling what tiles are of value to what player, etc. While I have played Ra enough now that I probably *don't* need the player mats, I would still never play without them as they do help a lot. I think the game would be quite hard to learn without having the player mats as a guide and aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sometimes play "speed Ra" at work. 25-30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input. I like the game online, so I guess it will play at least as well face-to-face. I have come to the conclusion that more tedious scoring, more hussle and longer gameplay will be balanced by better player interaction and greater overall feel (tiles, a board, sun tokens, etc.) I will try to give feedback after a few weeks of f2f gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my box yesterday and we have already managed to play a few games, so I can comment on my own question. The good thing is that we have not noticed "any drop in general satisfaction", as noted above. It takes about 25-30 minutes to finish a session and it is as quick, tense and engaging as the online implementation (even more with more direct player interaction). We play with the tiles stacked beside the board as passing a bag around from player to player only creates chaos and unnecessarily prolongs the game. Moreover, organizing collected tiles in front of you does not take as long as I feared.

To sum up, it is a very good purchase and a great game. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.