Targi» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Player 1 (starting player) advantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Eppler
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools

There is one question in my mind troubleing me quite some time.

Has the starting player in round number 1 an advantage or disadvantage?

Cause of the position of the robber the conditions are not symmetrical for both players.

Player 1 starts the round when noble and fata morgana are blocked.
Player 2 (second player in first round) starts the round when trader and drawing ressource cards are blocked.

With the fact that player 1 can play such he/she gets to choose 1 card from the display it seems to me that player 1 has a slight advantage.

What's your oppinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the board has been carefully balanced to even this out as much as possible. For example, going first in round 1 can help but that player is normally forced to take the Silversmith in round 2, which is useless at that stage in the game.

If there is any slight advantage or disadvantage to going first it is less than the luck of the card draw (which tribes and resources come out when you're first player; which tribes come out when you've got lots of resources; which tribes come out when you've got very few resources). Of course that can be mitigated by good play, which is one of the reasons why this is such a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wells
United States
Haverhill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blechbirne wrote:

Player 2 (second player in first round) starts the round when trader and drawing ressource cards are blocked.

With the fact that player 1 can play such he/she gets to choose 1 card from the display it seems to me that player 1 has a slight advantage.

What's your oppinion?

There is only 1 outside card blocked by the robber. So Fata Morgana is available to the first player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brwells wrote:
Blechbirne wrote:

What's your oppinion?

There is only 1 outside card blocked by the robber. So Fata Morgana is available to the first player.

In round seven Fata Morgana is blocked by the robber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with the new expansion you can even out that imbalance by placing your Targi on a Wandering dune (or whatever it is / will be called in the English version of the expansion).

You lose your second "cube" on an intersection but the effects of the wandering dunes are nearly as strong as 2 placed meeples (Targi & intersection cylinder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McEve wrote:
(or whatever it is / will be called in the English version of the expansion).

According to Andy there will not be an English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.